The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Help me with this situation!

Runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 outs, 2 strikes on the batter.
Batter bunts the ball foul, plate and base umpires, defensive team all brain fart and do nothing about it. The next pitch is lined for a single. This is when the HC comes out and says that the kid bunted foul on the the last pitch, he should be out. The umpires got together and called the kid out.
is there rule support for this? The only thing I can find is in rule 10.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

There is no "it's too late to fix it if a pitch is thrown" rule for this. You don't have to go to rule 10. 6.05(d) works fine.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

is that in FED or OBR?
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

That's OBR. What rule support are you looking for? Bunt foul with 2 strikes and the batter's out. If the umpire forgets that for a pitch, it doesn't matter, he's still out. Fix it when discovered.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Hate to disagree, but a rule misapplication must be corrected prior to the next pitch.

Rule 4.19 Comment: Whenever a manager protests a game because of alleged misapplication of the rules the protest will not be recognized unless the umpires are notified at the time the play under protest occurs and before the next pitch, play or attempted play

This is clearly a rules misapplication. (brain fart maybe, but clearly a rules misapplication)

Note 1-2-3 i 1 for NFHS

Last edited by umpjong; Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 10:07am.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Use common sense and fair play. Call the kid out and fix it. This isn't an appeal, and I know what the rule says.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:19am
Stop staring at me swan.

Can all FED games be protested? Or are there state jurisdiction rules around that? I can't remember ever hearing/reading about any protests here in MN
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

johnny,

Under FED, protests are a "...by state adoption..." provision in the rules. See 4-5.

In Illinois, the IHSA has chosen not to entertain protests.

JM
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:31am
Stop staring at me swan.

that would explain it.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
Hate to disagree, but a rule misapplication must be corrected prior to the next pitch.

Rule 4.19 Comment: Whenever a manager protests a game because of alleged misapplication of the rules the protest will not be recognized unless the umpires are notified at the time the play under protest occurs and before the next pitch, play or attempted play

This is clearly a rules misapplication. (brain fart maybe, but clearly a rules misapplication)

Note 1-2-3 i 1 for NFHS
I'm not sure what FED rule you meant to cite, but 1-2-3 concerns the location and size of the on-deck circle. There is no case 1.2.3 (i) or any other case 1.2.3 in the 2009 book.

FED leaves more leeway than OBR for umpires to correct their own errors, especially when it puts one team at a disadvantage not intended by the rules. See, for example, the cases concerning a check swing where the BU overrules and his doing so puts the BR or R1 at a disadvantage.

Still, the "till the next pitch" provision is included so that we don't have to go back and replay innings when the screwup is discovered much later. We need that provision, arbitrary as it might be.

Interesting case: I believe that strictly speaking we have till the next pitch to fix an error, and in the OP that pitch has passed. OTOH, it was just 1 pitch, and it seems unfair to the defense to skip the out.

I guess I'd be interested to hear more responses, especially those with rules or cases behind them (not just: "hey, that doesn't seem fair to me!").
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

My only question is this.

If you are going to correct it after a pitch, how far will you go before you decide it is no longer correctable? 2 pitches, 3, 4, next batter takes 2 pitches,.... How many before you hit a cut off point?

Tough thing to do since there are no rules to cover correcting something. I find this difficult for 1 reason. This is not protestable until 1 pitch has been thrown. But, no protest is supposed to be done if 1 pitch has been thrown. I would side with correcting it and call the batter out. If it is protested(either correcting it or not), it is a 50/50 chance to be upheld.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
This is not protestable until 1 pitch has been thrown.
Not sure why you'd say that. In Ohio it's not "protestable" at all. But this isn't BOO.

The D coach should have requested time immediately and asked why the batter was not out for bunting foul with 2 strikes. There's no limit on when the coach can discuss the issue, just on when the umpire can fix it.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

There's no limit on when the coach can discuss the issue, just on when the umpire can fix it.

this brings me back to my original question. what is the rule support on when the umpire can fix it?
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATUMP View Post
There's no limit on when the coach can discuss the issue, just on when the umpire can fix it.

this brings me back to my original question. what is the rule support on when the umpire can fix it?
There is no rule to support it either way. except 9.01 (c)
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATUMP View Post

You do not need rule support. Remember the Indians / O's game a few years back?

A run was put back on the board some 3 innings later.

In the OP you fix the problem. Everything that happened after B1 bunted a ball foul with 2 strikes and 2 outs is null and void NO MATTER when discovered as EVIDENCED by MLB ruling concerning the Inidans / O's game. The link is posted below in case you are interested

MLB denies protest by Indians - MLB - ESPN

Pete Booth