View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
Hate to disagree, but a rule misapplication must be corrected prior to the next pitch.

Rule 4.19 Comment: Whenever a manager protests a game because of alleged misapplication of the rules the protest will not be recognized unless the umpires are notified at the time the play under protest occurs and before the next pitch, play or attempted play

This is clearly a rules misapplication. (brain fart maybe, but clearly a rules misapplication)

Note 1-2-3 i 1 for NFHS
I'm not sure what FED rule you meant to cite, but 1-2-3 concerns the location and size of the on-deck circle. There is no case 1.2.3 (i) or any other case 1.2.3 in the 2009 book.

FED leaves more leeway than OBR for umpires to correct their own errors, especially when it puts one team at a disadvantage not intended by the rules. See, for example, the cases concerning a check swing where the BU overrules and his doing so puts the BR or R1 at a disadvantage.

Still, the "till the next pitch" provision is included so that we don't have to go back and replay innings when the screwup is discovered much later. We need that provision, arbitrary as it might be.

Interesting case: I believe that strictly speaking we have till the next pitch to fix an error, and in the OP that pitch has passed. OTOH, it was just 1 pitch, and it seems unfair to the defense to skip the out.

I guess I'd be interested to hear more responses, especially those with rules or cases behind them (not just: "hey, that doesn't seem fair to me!").