The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

NYYvs Red Sox April 25th

This is actual Play by Play. One out Did anyone see this?

Posada walked on a full count.

Hideki Matsui - H.Matsui doubled to center, Posada to third.

Melky Cabrera - Me.Cabrera grounded into fielder's choice, pitcher R.Ramirez to catcher Varitek, H.Matsui to third, Me.Cabrera to second, Posada out.

Catcher Varitek chases Posada back to third and tags both Matsui, who is also on the bag , first . Then tags Posada. Posada is called out.

Am I missing something here. OBR 7.03 "Two runners may not occupy a base, but if while the ball is alive, two runners are touching a base, the following runner shall be out when tagged. The preceeding runner is entitled to the base."
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
This is actual Play by Play. One out Did anyone see this?

Posada walked on a full count.

Hideki Matsui - H.Matsui doubled to center, Posada to third.

Melky Cabrera - Me.Cabrera grounded into fielder's choice, pitcher R.Ramirez to catcher Varitek, H.Matsui to third, Me.Cabrera to second, Posada out.

Catcher Varitek chases Posada back to third and tags both Matsui, who is also on the bag , first . Then tags Posada. Posada is called out.

Am I missing something here. OBR 7.03 "Two runners may not occupy a base, but if while the ball is alive, two runners are touching a base, the following runner shall be out when tagged. The preceeding runner is entitled to the base."
According to other accounts I have read, Posada was not on the base when he was tagged.

IF he was then Matsui should have been out. It's possible that they missed it -- it certainly doesn't happen often, and I know a D-1 umpire who missed it last year.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I had this happen last night. We had R1 and R2, less than two outs. We had a ball hit to deep right center. The R2 stayed close to second, R1 went to second, and the B/R ran up on R1 at second. R2 ended up taking off for home when the ball got down. The B/R and R1 were both standing on second base so the defense tagged the B/R out (He was the following runner). They then threw out R2 at home for the double play.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 11:32am
Stop staring at me swan.

I was thinking the same thing...I didn't look like Posada was on the base yet so he would be out...the rule states that if two runners are occupying the same base...blah, blah, blah...I only saw the play one time, but it looked like they got it right.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I thought exactly the same thing, but the replay angle showed that Posada stopped just short of the bag. If Posada had actually made it back to 3B, Matsui could have retreated toward 2B, forcing the play away from the lead runner.

I saw Clete Boyer do that years ago. He and the other runner kept the play going for a long time, though unsuccessfully.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Posada was not on the base, that explains it. I only saw the replay once and didn't look at where Posada was. Then again, at least the BU did.

It really is so much easier to umpire from the recliner. I have'nt missed a call in years and when I do, the wife still calls me blind. Of course she is a Yankee fan and I like the Sox, so what do you expect. But it's still good practice for the real games.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 07:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
I thought exactly the same thing, but the replay angle showed that Posada stopped just short of the bag. If Posada had actually made it back to 3B, Matsui could have retreated toward 2B, forcing the play away from the lead runner.

I saw Clete Boyer do that years ago. He and the other runner kept the play going for a long time, though unsuccessfully.
Is there a baseball game you didn't see? Ruth and Cobb called and wondered how you were!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
According to other accounts I have read, Posada was not on the base when he was tagged.
Does anyone think that when Posada saw the mess they both were in, he realized that he was the slower of the two and gave himself up?
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Does anyone think that when Posada saw the mess they both were in, he realized that he was the slower of the two and gave himself up?
Who cares what the players were thinking, this is an umpires forum.

Then again, R3 & R2 with one out and taking off for the plate on the crack of the bat, wellllll, me no think he was thinking at all. So either he all of a sudden got some thinking power, orrrrrrrrrrr, he is just slow.
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 08:35pm
Stop staring at me swan.

a little harsh...i think we all know it's an umpire forum
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

If Posada was not on the bag and Matsui was, why was Matsui out? They both must have been off the bag, yes?
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 12:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
a little harsh...i think we all know it's an umpire forum
Yeah, anyone here NOT understand that this is an umpire forum? Johnny, you're right, everyone does know!
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 12:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If Posada was not on the bag and Matsui was, why was Matsui out? They both must have been off the bag, yes?
If I'm not mistaken, Matsui was not out. Posada was out because he was off the bag. If they had both been on the base and tagged, then Matsui would have been out as the bag would have belonged to Posada.

Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third.