The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Your Basic Fun Early April Day.....

ALMOST warm for while there today - perhaps 53 or so! Worked a 7/8 grade (in NY, 'modified') game with one of our brand new officials - in fact, it was his VERY FIRST GAME! And of course, he had the plate... After watching him put his leg guards on before his shoes, and a few other things, got him straightened out, as we waited for the visitors to show up...and waited...we finally go up to do the check of the home team's gear, and then the visitors showed up, and started warming up....Meanwhile the home coach is asking us how to make out the lineup card!

We then catch our only break of the day, as the visiting coach comes up to us, and say he only wants to play two hours, as (and this is verbatim!) his team is not very good....its their first time outdoors..etc, etc...so we say sure, just ask the other coach! So let's do the math here:

A brand new umpire +
A brand new coach +
A not so good team to start, who is on the field for the first time =

an advil about an hour ago

Actually, my partner was pretty good - we train our newbies pretty well - its the little things that were annoying. The only thing I yelled at him about during the game was the newbie habit of verbalizing swinging strikes, and we did talk after the game about things.

The home team also was actually pretty good for very early in the season with 11-13 yr olds - their pitcher could throw some real strikes, and the few chances the fielders got were handled ok. The visitors, however....YUK....mainly cause their pitchers couldn't find home with a GPS...I must've walked three miles walking back and forth between the various positions from all the walks, wild pitches and passed balls.....fun......

The best part is that I have no more scheduled modified games until the end of May - when most of the teams have actually LEARNED something...

the final after probably 5 innings - 28-2
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

First game...

Softball is winding down here, playoffs start end of April
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

My game yesterday was a 2:45 drizzling rain, but not bad enought to stop game.

We then got to do the 2nd half of the DH.

If it wasn't for the love of the game I would have left, I know there was not enough love for their daughters for the parents to stay.

Only people no on the field for the second game was the ONsite administrator and the scorkeeper in the booth.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE

After watching him put his leg guards on before his shoes... we train our newbies pretty well...
Do y'all train 'em to but them inside or outside the pants?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

"only want to play two hours".. for 13 y/os n00bs?

Is good?

I'm thinking like 1:15
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The visitors, however....YUK....mainly cause their pitchers couldn't find home with a GPS...
Well, most consumer GPS devices are only accurate to within 12 feet...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
ALMOST warm for while there today - perhaps 53 or so! Worked a 7/8 grade (in NY, 'modified') game with one of our brand new officials - in fact, it was his VERY FIRST GAME! And of course, he had the plate... After watching him put his leg guards on before his shoes, and a few other things, got him straightened out, as we waited for the visitors to show up...and waited...we finally go up to do the check of the home team's gear, and then the visitors showed up, and started warming up....Meanwhile the home coach is asking us how to make out the lineup card!

We then catch our only break of the day, as the visiting coach comes up to us, and say he only wants to play two hours, as (and this is verbatim!) his team is not very good....its their first time outdoors..etc, etc...so we say sure, just ask the other coach! So let's do the math here:

A brand new umpire +
A brand new coach +
A not so good team to start, who is on the field for the first time =

an advil about an hour ago

Actually, my partner was pretty good - we train our newbies pretty well - its the little things that were annoying. The only thing I yelled at him about during the game was the newbie habit of verbalizing swinging strikes, and we did talk after the game about things.

The home team also was actually pretty good for very early in the season with 11-13 yr olds - their pitcher could throw some real strikes, and the few chances the fielders got were handled ok. The visitors, however....YUK....mainly cause their pitchers couldn't find home with a GPS...I must've walked three miles walking back and forth between the various positions from all the walks, wild pitches and passed balls.....fun......

The best part is that I have no more scheduled modified games until the end of May - when most of the teams have actually LEARNED something...

the final after probably 5 innings - 28-2
Congrats on having 7/8 grade played as expected.