The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I'll respectfully apologize, guys. In my haste to reply, I neglected to read Mr. Jenkins's response clearly. In re-reading Mr. Jenkins's response, it is clear that I was wrong in my interpretation.

As for the troll comment, I was so sure that I was right that others were disputing me just to be disruptive. Sorry guys, my fault, my mistake. Don't hate me for it.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
I'll respectfully apologize, guys. In my haste to reply, I neglected to read Mr. Jenkins's response clearly. In re-reading Mr. Jenkins's response, it is clear that I was wrong in my interpretation.

As for the troll comment, I was so sure that I was right that others were disputing me just to be disruptive. Sorry guys, my fault, my mistake. Don't hate me for it.
Good man.

Others were on the same track as Bob, but none were as clear.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I'm the "rules guy" in my association, the one the other umpires turn to for interpretations. About once a year, I learn something I didn't already know. It may be twice this year as the season is still pretty young!
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Two Bits

All is forgiven , we all have our blind spots, and I as a local umpires association rules interpreter have the same experiences with you on a regular basis.

Sorry my posts were not clear, at least to someone, I was trying to explain the rules point in a different than Bob did. My apologies for my inadequate writing.

Keep posting my man.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to politely disagree

Quote:
OP: A game I was at, the defense called time, came out and made a pitching change. No charged conference for changing the pitcher.
"The pitching change was not a conference."
Here is another one.
"1. HC has conference with pitcher, and replaces him. No conference charged."

I am missing something here. I read it several times in this thread posted by several very knowledgable individuals. What am I missing?

New inning, new pitcher, no conference. Same inning, conference w/ pitcher and catcher, pitcher replaced w/a new pitcher, conference with pitcher and catcher, resume game. This pitching change is not a conference?

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 04, 2009 at 06:58pm.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm the "rules guy" in my association, the one the other umpires turn to for interpretations. About once a year, I learn something I didn't already know. It may be twice this year as the season is still pretty young!
Hang around and you will learn more than one thing a year here. But you must be willing to listen.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
"This pitching change is not a conference?
No, it's not.

Spend some time in the rules book instead of searching for rising fastballs.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, I thank all of you for your posts. I do admit that I left out one bit of info in the original post; the umpire did indeed inform the coach that his return visit would be his 2nd official charged conference. (The first had occurred an inning earlier). Coach was not charged for making the P.C., just his return visit. The PU told the coach he had 1 remaining conference after the coach started to return after confering with the defense out by 2nd base.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No, it's not.

Spend some time in the rules book instead of searching for rising fastballs.
Gee the heavy-handed mod is now making the same cheeky remarks he would delete if they came from his less-favorite posters.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Gee the heavy-handed mod is now making the same cheeky remarks he would delete if they came from his less-favorite posters.
We all have our limits when it comes to serial stupidity. :shrug:

And some posters still can't distinguish between comments that advance the thread and those that constitute pointless personal attacks.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would say this is definitley a bit of OOO, but our OOO is also wrong with his interpretation.

FED 3-1-2: If a pitcher is replaced while his team is on defense, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat or any substitute for that batter until such batter is put out or reaches base or until a third out is made. To ensure that the requirements of this article be fulfilled, the umpire will deny any coach-defensive player conference that will violate the rule.

A conference should not have been charged. Using the correct interpretation, our OOO should have disallowed the coach back onto the field during warmups.
Here is a idea...

READ THE FRICKIN RULE BOOK FOR A CHANGE

Ozzy just told you the rule...In all 3 the coach is done with and needs to leave the FIELD of play as soon as his new pitcher starts to warm up.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
1. HC has conference with pitcher, and replaces him. No conference charged.
2. Sometime during the conference he heads to the dugout. By rule, conference is over, correct?
3. He then goes out to talk with infielders. HOW is that not another conference?
4. If he has conferences left, how is it illegal to use one?
5. Your rule does not apply here, if he had no conferences left, then he could not cross the foul line and have another conference. There is nothing in the rules that say he cannot use two or three conferences during one AB if he wants to, as long as the number of conferences used in the game do not add up to more than three.
6. If he goes into the dugout for a reason, say, equipment needed changed, and he goes out to an infielder, and tells the PU why, that's another story.
He had every chance to talk to the infielders while he was on the mound making a pitching change. In the OC he gave that right up when he went past the foul line.

Please show me where this is wrong.
In the NCAA when the new pitchers starts his warm ups the Conference is over, the coach is NOT allowed to talk to any other players.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
5. Your rule does not apply here, if he had no conferences left, then he could not cross the foul line and have another conference. There is nothing in the rules that say he cannot use two or three conferences during one AB if he wants to, as long as the number of conferences used in the game do not add up to more than three.

Please show me where this is wrong.

5.. you are really wrong...

NCAA Rule 9-4 try to read this one....

b. If a coach or his nonplaying representative goes to the mound a second
time in the inning to talk to the same pitcher, the pitcher must be
removed from the pitcher’s position for the remainder of the game. The
coach is to indicate the relief pitcher to an umpire immediately after
crossing the foul line (see 7-2-c-[5]-[b]-[4]);
A.R. 1—If, after one trip to the same pitcher in the same inning, or three free trips in a
game, the coach goes to the plate umpire to announce a pitching change (does not go to
the mound), a second trip shall be charged (when the change is recorded on the official
lineup card). If moved to a defensive position, the pitcher shall not return to pitch.
A.R. 2—The relief pitcher, when called from the bullpen by the umpire, must proceed
immediately to the mound. Any additional pitches thrown in the bullpen will be subtracted
from the eight preparatory pitches permitted on the mound. In the case of an injury to
114 RULE 9 / PITCHING
the current pitcher, the substitute pitcher shall take all warm-up pitches from the game
mound.
c. A coach may not make a second trip to the mound in the same inning
with the same batter at bat.
However, if a pinch-hitter is substituted, the
coach may make a second trip but must remove the pitcher;
(1) In this pinch-hitter situation, a relief pitcher, having just been brought
in to pitch, may not be removed from the game before pitching
completely to one batter or the side has been retired (see 5-5-b).
(2) If the coach previously has used the allowed free trips and mistakenly
is allowed to go to the mound for a conference, the pitcher shall be
removed from the position after the batter completes the turn at bat.
The pitcher may not re-enter the game as a pitcher.
(3) If the coach starts to the mound for a second trip with the same batter
at bat in the same inning, the umpire shall warn that this act is not
permitted. If the coach continues to the mound, the coach shall be
ejected and the pitcher must complete pitching to the batter; when
the batter’s turn is completed, the pitcher shall be removed from the
game.
The coach should be warned of the impending removal so that
another pitcher can start warming up. The substitute pitcher shall be
permitted the eight preparatory pitches unless circumstances justify
additional pitches.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Not my proudest post, I agree.

But, if you want to push the issue, I'd be glad to be ... more straightforward when dealing with your posts and less "heavy handed" when deleteing post of those like boxstance and flowerchild.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not my proudest post, I agree.

But, if you want to push the issue, I'd be glad to be ... more straightforward when dealing with your posts and less "heavy handed" when deleteing post of those like boxstance and flowerchild.
I'm not sure I understand. How would you be more straightforward when dealing with my posts?

It is commendable to admit when a post isn't your favorite one.
Closed Thread