The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Old style indicator wanted

I know this is probably not the proper forum to ask, but I am searching for an old style indicator that only has 3 balls, 2 strikes, and 2 outs. These were made for years by Spalding, Rawlings, etc...They were stainless steel and always said "made in USA." If any of you Arbiters out there have one that you no longer use, give me a shout. Thanks.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I have several of the style you are looking for

But they do not go 3-2-2. PM me will you?
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Metal 3-2-2 indicator

This is the one I use. I don't believe it is American-made, but it seems to fit the style you're talking about (other than also not being an 'antique').

Lesters Upstate Sports :: Baseball & Softball :: Accessories (ball bags, brushes, indicators) :: 3-Ball, 2-Strike, 2-Out Metal Indicator w/Grooved Wheels

The B-S-O wheels are also notched, so that, once you get used to it, you don't have to look at it to track the count (insert 'blind ump' joke here?! ).

Regards,
Andrew
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Stainless Steel Spalding Indicator - 40 years old?

I have one but can't part with it since it was my Dad's. He bought it way back in 1968-69. After he retired I kept it stored away for years. I broke it out last year when I started umping, along with his plate brush (now that has some wear on it). Brings back a lot of memories now that he is gone but I am keeping the family tradition going. It is a great indicator, made in the USA and it keeps working. Numbers are being to fade some.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

Champion makes indicators (plastic) that go up to 3 balls, 2 strikes and 2 outs. You can get them here:

The Sports Loft / Officiating Uniforms / Chuck DeCarbo / Baseball / Softball

I am sure the oversize fits your bill, not sure about the smaller 3-wheel. The metal one and the 4-wheel (ugh) both go to 3,4 and 3.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I always wondered why they make indicators that go to three strikes and four balls. Stupid. I had one I bought at Honigs that was two strike three ball. I sold all of my equipment three years ago, but am going to get back into umpiring again and am buying the same equipment back from the guy I sold it to. I hope he still has that old indicator.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't know Old Style made indicators.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Champion makes indicators (plastic) that go up to 3 balls, 2 strikes and 2 outs. You can get them here:

The Sports Loft / Officiating Uniforms / Chuck DeCarbo / Baseball / Softball

I am sure the oversize fits your bill, not sure about the smaller 3-wheel. The metal one and the 4-wheel (ugh) both go to 3,4 and 3.
You can get them here, at the umpiring gear world's second-worst web site. They are just mailing it in. Why even have a site?
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
I always wondered why they make indicators that go to three strikes and four balls. Stupid. I had one I bought at Honigs that was two strike three ball. I sold all of my equipment three years ago, but am going to get back into umpiring again and am buying the same equipment back from the guy I sold it to. I hope he still has that old indicator.
That's one of the coolest gear stories I've ever heard.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You can get them here, at the umpiring gear world's second-worst web site. They are just mailing it in. Why even have a site?
Who's #1?

Could it be the one that keeps sending me e-mails about their next huge sale, then only having sizes like 3 and 4XL in stock? This is also the place whose owner told me after I placed my (only) order, "I want to change umpire uniforms one person at a time and take on the major suppliers with my revolutionary shirts," or something like that.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

There you go ...
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
That's one of the coolest gear stories I've ever heard.
It's definitely saving me some money. I've continued to do basketball over the years, but gave up baseball because I always had kids playing. Well, son number three is finishing up his last high school season this year and son number four, who is 11, has decided that he doesn't want to play baseball anymore and just stick to basketball and football. I always enjoyed officiating basketball more than baseball, but baseball is my favorite sport. So I will try to pick up a few games where I can this summer then do a full schedule next year to stay connected to the game in some way. I actually coached a freshman hs team the last two years but just don't have the time to do it anymore so I had to step down this year. It just so happened that the guy I sold the gear to is working 2nd shift now and can't umpire anymore. I'm getting a couple of shirts, ball bags, indicator, brush, huge gear bag, my old umpshins, mask and K1 chest protector for $200. I sold most all of those items to him for $300 three seasons ago. Not a bad deal. I went ahead and ordered some pants, plate shoes, hats and another shirt from Honigs today. Now I just need to pick up a few games around my kids high school schedule, which doesn't start until late May here in Iowa.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
You're working alone. One out, 3-2 count, runners at 2B & 1B. Strike three to batter as runners are going with the pitch. F2 throws ball into LF trying to nab runner. Lead runner comes home, second runner goes to 3B. F7 throws wild to 3B, allowing second runner to score. When the dust clears, batter is standing on 1B. With all the action, you forgot whether you called ball four or strike three. What do you do? With an indicator registering four balls and three strikes, you check to see that the batter was out on strikes, and is removed from 1B.

THAT'S why a four ball, three strike indicator makes sense.

Bob
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra View Post
You're working alone. One out, 3-2 count, runners at 2B & 1B. Strike three to batter as runners are going with the pitch. F2 throws ball into LF trying to nab runner. Lead runner comes home, second runner goes to 3B. F7 throws wild to 3B, allowing second runner to score. When the dust clears, batter is standing on 1B. With all the action, you forgot whether you called ball four or strike three. What do you do? With an indicator registering four balls and three strikes, you check to see that the batter was out on strikes, and is removed from 1B.

THAT'S why a four ball, three strike indicator makes sense.

Bob
As I heard Jim Evans ask at a clinic in Seattle a few years ago, was this during a day game or night game?
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Many great stories here. Really. But can I assume NO ONE has an indicator they want to sell as I originally posted? Oh well. Ump 154 if in the situation you describe and you looked down and saw that you zeroed out the strikes, wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?