Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I worked hard for my sources, and you are not entitled to them.
A convenient permit to fabricate "facts".

Quote:
And be more precise in your comprehension. I stated that they give less than "ALMOST any millionaires in America." That was based on an investigation by one of my sources that revealed that of all the millionaires in the game ($1 million per year or more), gave less than one percent of their salary to charity.
Then this "source" would be incorrect.

Quote:
And I am positive that I am more accomplished in the area of seeking and providing information on the game of baseball than you. I don't meet many people of my ilk, and you would certainly not be one of them. You can be Mr. Umpire, but mastery of the rest of the game would be where you can get off the train.
Still more unsubstantiated babble, like your earlier posts that dimissed the decades of research and discovery of forgotten and unknown sources by
Jim Evans.

Quote:
So how do you like being treated like you treat everyone else?
You're projecting again. They only ones I might post to as I have you are others who make up "facts" and then duck for cover when exposed.

I enjoyed your post. I enjoy it when those who prattle admit that they are prattling.

Carry on in the knowledge you have exposed yourself as one who tries to pass off personal opinion and anecdotes as fact.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

And you carry on in the game as merely an umpire. When you spend your first day as anything else, let us know.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I worked hard for my sources....

And be more precise in your comprehension. I stated that they give less than "ALMOST any millionaires in America." That was based on an investigation by one of my sources that revealed that of all the millionaires in the game ($1 million per year or more), gave less than one percent of their salary to charity.
Fire that source.

According to their biographers and their churches, Jeff Kent, Wally Joyner, Dale Murphy...to name just three...all donated betweej 5% and 10% of their annual million dollar plus salaries to their church.

Quote:
And I am positive that I am more accomplished in the area of seeking and providing information on the game of baseball than you.
As demonstrated above.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Three out of the hundreds of millionaires who have spanned the Murphy to Kent generation. You are a funny man, Mr. Umpire. You are aware that there are those who give zero to charity. Maybe you're not.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Three out of the hundreds of millionaires who have spanned the Murphy to Kent generation. You are a funny man, Mr. Umpire. You are aware that there are those who give zero to charity. Maybe you're not.
1. I believe I stated...just to name three....you want more? I was able to find those in less than five minutes. How long did it take your source to find his incorrect information?

2. Humor has nothing to do with it, sorry. The point Mr. Research, which you conveniently ducked, was to indicate, again, you are claiming as fact statements which are not factual, and the point was made.

3. Your skill at redirecting the conversation and trying to ignore what you have publicly claimed as fact is remarkable, but it doesnt change the real facts: You have repeatedly posted "facts" which have been proven to be no more than opinion.

4. Your free ride pretending to be an expert in all things statistical is over.

You may guffaw to your heart's content and attempt to disract attention from what you have previously posted. Having exposed your posts for what they are, I will withdraw from this thread before the lock-down occurs.

Veritas vos liberabit

Last edited by MrUmpire; Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 02:57pm.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

A scant minority of this generation's ballplayers are doing their part. And in the 15 years since Rod Beck started unloading his personal fortune and sacrificing most of his spare time helping stricken infants and children, and I became wildly curious about how much these drastically overpaid peers of his give to charity, you are the first person to defend the generosity of professional ballplayers.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

An opinion based on years of observation of this game and its participants in and around one of the largest media markets on Earth:

"But major league millionaires give less back to charity and society around them than ALMOST ANY MILLIONAIRES IN AMERICA."

(My original contention)

I just wanted to re-post my original statement from which you, the precise Mr. Umpire somehow found to not be my opinion, but some precise statement of irrefutable fact.

The strike zone is scientifically and mathematically imprecise. How do handle that?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"But major league millionaires give less back to charity and society around them than ALMOST ANY MILLIONAIRES IN AMERICA."

(My original contention)

I just wanted to re-post my original statement from which you, the precise Mr. Umpire somehow found to not be my opinion, but some precise statement of irrefutable fact
That's because you presented it as fact. Then you used an "unnamed source" as the basis for the statement.

There was no opinion about it--and you got called on it.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

OOOOkay.

It's my opinion based on an investigative reporter friend's findings that he shared with me when he was inspired to investigate the subject at the time it was raised. I also gathered my own information from the community relations director of a major league club that I knew rather well. Based on that, it is my considered opinion that there are a scant few groups of millionaires in America whose members give less to charity and society around them than major league millionaires.

My opinion, presented as my opinion, and based on good information.

Once again, in all these years that I have been making that statement, Mr. Umpire is the first one to dispute it by defending the generosity of big league ballplayers. That says a lot.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My opinion,
agreed

Quote:
presented as my opinion,
disagreed (until the clarification in the last few posts).
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My opinion, presented as my opinion, and based on good information.
Really?

Let's take a trip down memory lane:

Quote:
The fact that the major league baseball clubs and the players themselves give virtually nothing back to the game at the lower levels is an abomination.
Quote:
But major league millionaires give less back to charity and society around them than almost any millionaires in America.
Quote:
Well, you know what? When it comes to seeking and providing information on the game of baseball, I am at a higher level than you. I have had many more years of that than you and am decidedly more accomplished than you.
Quote:
I stated that they give less than "ALMOST any millionaires in America." That was based on an investigation by one of my sources that revealed that of all the millionaires in the game ($1 million per year or more), gave less than one percent of their salary to charity.
That you can claim that you were stating opinion all this time puts you in the same weasel category as a JV first base coach.

Quote:
Once again, in all these years that I have been making that statement, Mr. Umpire is the first one to dispute it by defending the generosity of big league ballplayers. That says a lot.
What is says is that he's the first to call you on your bullsht.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

Damn, y'all sound like a lawyer I once knew.

Let it go already. I know I don't have to read the thread but I thought someone MIGHT be adding something worth reading.
Closed Thread