Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Texas Brouhaha

Yesterday's Headline
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.3356204.html

The game fees at the bottom of the page may grab your attention.
Same discussion seen earlier this year on another forum.
The issue doesn't really concern me.

Last edited by SAump; Tue Feb 10, 2009 at 09:55pm.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:20pm
Stop staring at me swan.

how can paying an umpire by gate earnings dictate what they get paid? i get the "revenue" part...but talk about cutthroat. it makes no sense.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

It makes sense in sports where there is both a ticket price and a crowd -- like football and basketball. The theory is that if you work a game in front of a bigger crowd, not only is it usually a bigger game, but requires more experience and skill (in most cases; there are always exceptions), and you should be paid more than one involving schools with nobody there. I've worked in front of big crowds and in front of nobody (in other sports), and I agree with this theory. The thing is, in baseball, even at what we think of as big time baseball schools in Texas, the crowds are often smaller than those at a freshman basketball game. Thus, the pay scale is flawed.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:52pm
Stop staring at me swan.

yeah, in MN, it could be a big time game, but it might be 42 degrees out and windy. biggest game of the year...but no crowd. How would the Tampa Bay Rays umpires feel about that pay scale last year? (I know, MLB, salary, blah, blah) Ump game fares based upon crowd size...I've never heard of anything as crazy as that.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

The fact that the major league baseball clubs and the players themselves give virtually nothing back to the game at the lower levels is an abomination. Umpires and coaches alike are not compensated enough to allow them to continue doing it sometimes. Fields are in sub-standard condition, and equipment is often poor to non-existent.

I worked a game at a dilapidated high school field that hasn't seen an improvement in 15 years. Every inch of the place is a s---hole. It is home to a team that wins LA city championships.

On the left field wall are the retired numbers of Jon Garland and Garret Anderson. To date, those two ingrates have been awarded combined career salaries totaling $110 million. There are some instances where a ballplayer comes back and helps the sport, but the percentage is astoundingly low. Garland and Anderson essentially pull in between 100 and 1000 times what they actually earn, but they can't even let their pocket change spill onto the field where they played.

Baseball has squeezed too much out of us for too long. Bud Selig needed to go away before it got this out of whack. If there isn't an awakening, the outcome may be quite sad.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
The fact that the major league baseball clubs and the players themselves give virtually nothing back to the game at the lower levels is an abomination. Umpires and coaches alike are not compensated enough to allow them to continue doing it sometimes. Fields are in sub-standard condition, and equipment is often poor to non-existent.

I worked a game at a dilapidated high school field that hasn't seen an improvement in 15 years. Every inch of the place is a s---hole. It is home to a team that wins LA city championships
Then when a college field is remade with the money of a Major League ballplayer, we find out that he is a steroid-using cheater and scumbag.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
yeah, in MN, it could be a big time game, but it might be 42 degrees out and windy. biggest game of the year...but no crowd.
It doesn't even have to be bad weather. There are few schools here that draw a significant number of fans.

Strangely enough, the only school I know that has paid admission also has one of the best turnouts.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Why don't you ask some of the D1 Basketball officials for some help.

At least the High School Fees for baseball umpires are close to the fees for other sports.

The D1 basketball officials make $1000 per game. There was an article in the paper about a D1 basketball official who worked 124 games in 07-08 and made $124,000, $200 per day expenses, and flight pay from home & back for every game, so he pockets the return fee home since he goes from one school to the next without going back home. Hell, he could if he wanted, have a friend drive him to another site that is close by and pocket the full fare. These are walk-up plane fares so he probably makes another $80,000 this way for a total $200,000 or more per year. I'm sure the D1 baseball umps would love to come as close to the basketball guys, as the High School Baseball umpires do to their counterparts in other sports. That $200 per game and not pocketing the return flight pay, and only $50 per day expenses, is no where close (and yes, I got that economics lesson the last time I mentioned this) to basketball.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Why don't you ask some of the D1 Basketball officials for some help.

At least the High School Fees for baseball umpires are close to the fees for other sports.

The D1 basketball officials make $1000 per game. There was an article in the paper about a D1 basketball official who worked 124 games in 07-08 and made $124,000, $200 per day expenses, and flight pay from home & back for every game, so he pockets the return fee home since he goes from one school to the next without going back home. Hell, he could if he wanted, have a friend drive him to another site that is close by and pocket the full fare. These are walk-up plane fares so he probably makes another $80,000 this way for a total $200,000 or more per year. I'm sure the D1 baseball umps would love to come as close to the basketball guys, as the High School Baseball umpires do to their counterparts in other sports. That $200 per game and not pocketing the return flight pay, and only $50 per day expenses, is no where close (and yes, I got that economics lesson the last time I mentioned this) to basketball.

Some of those D-1 basket ball guys make about 3k a game... a lot depends on the conference. But yes 3k is alot for a basketball game.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

kinda of a skewed pay system... for a $150 gate the umpire gets $45. For a $1500 dollar gate the umpire doesn't get 10x the first $45, he gets less than 2x.
yeah that's totally "fair"... dang.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6 View Post
Then when a college field is remade with the money of a Major League ballplayer, we find out that he is a steroid-using cheater and scumbag.
Not every cheater is a scumbag, and not every MLB star is a cheater.

But major league millionaires give less back to charity and society around them than almost any millionaires in America.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 05:46am

Quote:
Not every cheater is a scumbag, and not every MLB star is a cheater.
True, but AScrod is both.

Quote:
But major league millionaires give less back to charity and society around them than almost any millionaires in America.
Also true.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

mmmm....fish and chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
True, but AScrod is both.

Also true.
An insult to a most delicious seafood.

D
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
An insult to a most delicious seafood.

D
Not an ARod fan and not defending him -

Now, ask yourself. How many of your team's players are among the 100 names on the list with ARod's that were not leaked to the media?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

And how many more were bright enough to take a substance that wasn't even being tested for in MLB's we-don't-really-want-to-end-$teroid-use testing strategy?

The 100-plus (the famed 5%-to-7%) are not all the ones who are cheaters, they're the ones who are dumb enough and uncool enough to get nabbed in the cursory testing program.

Bud $elig is the principal in this. Fay Vincent sounded the alarm in the early '90s, and he was summarily booted. You can't have a commissioner who stands in the way of profiteering! $elig's is shameful custody of the greatest game in the world.

Beyond that: A-Rod, Bonds and Clemens, three men who are at or near the top of the career earnings list--A-Rod ($198 million and counting) and Bonds ($188 million) are Nos. 1 & 2--all defrauded their way to the top. And for being lying slime, Bonds and Clemens could actually go to prison!

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 11:12am.
Closed Thread