The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Info from Dallas Morning News (Chip Brown)

"...Rick Barnes was frustratd over disparity in fouls called over final 20 minutes - Xavier went to the line 23 times, Texas only 4. Barnes began shouting his dismay at official Ted Valentine who told Barnes, "That's enough." Barnes replied, "Well then, leave. Because I'm not going anywhere," and kept shouting. Valentine then called a technical on Barnes, who was shocked. Barnes' anger at receiving his first technical foul of the season led to a second technical and his ejection. Valentine's only comment to a pool reporter after the game was, "The rules speak for themselves."...

My comments:
I was watching the game and could see (this was after first tech) Valentine motioning with his hand for Barnes to back away (couldn't tell for sure if Valentine also said something at the same time) and when Barnes kept talking and not moving away, the second tech was given.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Barnes probably earned both technicals

However, what did Valentine 'earn'?

This is NOT the first time in a Sweet 16 or National Semi final that he has been part of a crew that has put one team on the line 5 times as often as the other with the resulting change in the direction the games was going.

It may be the first time he has said "... f---... " to a player. I have never heard that he swears at player before but I have seen him in person and on television be the most overbearing arrogant *** ever to walk into a gymnasium.

But, my question for your folks is this. Should Vanetine be banned, suspened or have his credentials taken for saying that word to a player?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge Roy

But, my question for your folks is this. Should Vanetine be banned, suspened or have his credentials taken for saying that word to a player?

Is this a hypothetical question? Or do YOU have proof that Valentine said that? And can YOU quote to us the exact words that Valentine used?

You really hate the guy that much,eh?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

The question was...

"IF he said it". That presupposees that it is determined that he did actually say it.

it appears that Mouton and two other Texas players all heaerd him say it.

Ok, NCAA has a hearing - or the Big 12 or whoever and they make an administrative finding that it is a FACT that he said it.

What should happen to him?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The question was...

Quote:
"IF he said it". That presupposees that it is determined that he did actually say it.

it appears that Mouton and two other Texas players all heaerd him say it.

Ok, NCAA has a hearing - or the Big 12 or whoever and they make an administrative finding that it is a FACT that he said it.

What should happen to him?
The same thing that happens to EVERY other NCAA player, coach or official that uses profanity: nothing.

If you feel differently, than please tell us how you plan to enforce this new rule of yours.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Barnes probably earned both technicals

Quote:

This is NOT the first time in a Sweet 16 or National Semi final that he has been part of a crew that has put one team on the line 5 times as often as the other with the resulting change in the direction the games was going.
And this is where I stop listening.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 06:09pm
BBallCoach

If he did say it, I feel he should be suspended for a certain length of time. Here is my reasoning from being on this board it is obvious that most of you place yourself high above coaches and do not have a lot of respect for coaches. Therefore if he did swear at a player wouldnt you all assume that he is stepping to a lower level being like a coach as you put it?

Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
If he did say it, I feel he should be suspended for a certain length of time. Here is my reasoning from being on this board it is obvious that most of you place yourself high above coaches and do not have a lot of respect for coaches. Therefore if he did swear at a player wouldnt you all assume that he is stepping to a lower level being like a coach as you put it?
See, this is exactly what you don't understand about us.

We DO NOT place ourselves higher than coaches. we simply point out that we've had training and instruuction to do the job we do. We study the rules, situations and case plays. Coaches mouth off about situatiuons where they do not know the rule or how a situation should be handled. That's where we become irritated with people such as yourself, people who think they know how to do our job but who are really clueless in regard to many situations.

I readily admit that I can't coach and I wouldn't even try. Why is it that coaches think they know better how to officiate a game than we do.

No, we don't look down on coaches. We look down on those who think they know our job or think they could do it better than we do.

You'll never understand the difference.

Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:18pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
...I have seen him in person and on television be the most overbearing arrogant *** ever to walk into a gymnasium.
Someone might make the same comment about you -- apperances can be deceiving.

I've met him in person and he is neither overbearing nor arrogant.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

ejection could have been avoided

Valentine should have done what we are all taught to do when administering T's -- never give out two. Give the first one and walk away. Let your partners get your back and give the second. There is no way, no matter what was said, that Valentine should have ejected Barnes with as little time on the clock and the game clearly over and the season for that matter for Texas. I thought is was lame. Also, while watching it, I caught myself questioning several iffy calls and it did seem as thought Texas didn't get any calls in the second half and the officiating seemed to effect the outcome of that game - Barnes had much to be T'd off about.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Anyone else think that BBallCoach and Judge Roy might be the same person?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Add revref to the list as well.

Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: ejection could have been avoided

Quote:
Originally posted by revref
Valentine should have done what we are all taught to do when administering T's -- never give out two. Give the first one and walk away. Let your partners get your back and give the second. There is no way, no matter what was said, that Valentine should have ejected Barnes with as little time on the clock and the game clearly over and the season for that matter for Texas. I thought is was lame. Also, while watching it, I caught myself questioning several iffy calls and it did seem as thought Texas didn't get any calls in the second half and the officiating seemed to effect the outcome of that game - Barnes had much to be T'd off about.
You have got to be kidding me.....the "then leave" comment is close in my mind to ejection material....he tried to back him off and he kept coming... I didn't see it so I am just going from what I read here....he had it coming....
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 11:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: ejection could have been avoided

Quote:
Valentine should have done what we are all taught to do when administering T's -- never give out two. Give the first one and walk away. Let your partners get your back and give the second.
I have never been told that. And I am talking about the "never give out two comment." Yes it is recommended to handle it that way in a perfect world, but many clinicians understand there are situations that we have to deal with that are not regular or common. What happens at the NCAA Tournament is not always common and perfect.

Where are you guys learning these things?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 02:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Also, while watching it, I caught myself questioning several iffy calls and it did seem as thought Texas didn't get any calls in the second half and the officiating seemed to effect the outcome of that game - Barnes had much to be T'd off about.

Yup, another fanboy crawls out of the woodwork. Happens every year about this time. The big, bad referees screwed my team. I'm mad and I'm gonna do something about it!

Please remove "ref" from your name. That's false pretenses. You very obviously aren't one.