Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
But major league millionaires give less back to charity and society around them than almost any millionaires in America.

I wonder where this information comes from. I'm not disagreeing with it, necessarily, I just don't know how accurate it is. Lots of people I know like to do their good deeds in the shadows, avoiding any pats on the back for doing what they felt was the right thing. Can we say that because we don't hear MLB players crowing about the charity they have helped, then that automatically proves they have done nothing ?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Funny how people are saying that MLB clubs don't help at the lower level, yet 3 of the 4 biggest sponsors of amature baseball in Ontario have some connection to the MLB and the Toronto Blue Jays.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 08:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Not an ARod fan and not defending him -

Now, ask yourself. How many of your team's players are among the 100 names on the list with ARod's that were not leaked to the media?
Who cares? I'm not saying ARod is scum just because he did steroids, or got caught. I say it because he only admitted it after he was forced to, denied it for years, and then tried to blame it on anyone but himself and made excuses instead of manning up and taking responsibility for his actions. And, hey, maybe an apology to all the fans he let down, especially all the kids who looked up to him as a hero.

He is trying to tell us that he didn't know what the injections were for. I get sick of superstar athletes treating us like we're a bunch of stupid hick rubes. Of course as a pro athlete, making millions of dollars with his instrument of a body, is going to know exactly every single thing that goes into it. "I didn't know" is a bunch of BS.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:48pm.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Who cares? I'm not saying ARod is scum just because he did steroids, or got caught. I say it because he only admitted it after he was forced to, denied it for years, and then tried to blame it on anyone but himself and made excuses instead of manning up and taking responsibility for his actions. And, hey, maybe an apology to all the fans he let down, especially all the kids who looked up to him as a hero.

He is trying to tell us that he didn't know what the injections were for. I get sick of superstar athletes treating us like we're a bunch of stupid hick rubes. Of course as a pro athlete, making millions of dollars with his instrument of a body, is going to know exactly every single thing that goes into it. "I didn't know" is a bunch of BS.
Hrmmm I could fully see a highly paid athlete asking his trainer, "hey dude, whats in that shot" and the trainer saying "dude, you don't wanna know" and the athlete going along with it , because they just AREN'T THAT SMART! and they think they have a alibi for NOT knowing. just my 2 cents.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But major league millionaires give less back to charity and society around them than almost any millionaires in America.
As a group or individually?

Source please.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Hrmmm I could fully see a highly paid athlete asking his trainer, "hey dude, whats in that shot" and the trainer saying "dude, you don't wanna know" and the athlete going along with it , because they just AREN'T THAT SMART! and they think they have a alibi for NOT knowing. just my 2 cents.
If you made this statement 12 to 14 years ago, I would say that there would have been many major leaguers that would fit that description. Not now.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
As a group or individually?

Source please.
A) Individually.

B) If you read what I wrote, I used the word "almost," which is the truth.

C) You work hard and make the sacrifices to get inside the game and get your own good sources. (I am not saying that I have ever been inside the game as an umpire.)
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Source please.
The reason that you and I lock horns is because of the way you talk down to your lower-level umpire brothers just because you have some years on them or something. We're other umpires! Some of us love the game as much as humanly possible. So we don't need to be outclassed by you in some of that haughty stuff you write.

Well, you know what? When it comes to seeking and providing information on the game of baseball, I am at a higher level than you. I have had many more years of that than you and am decidedly more accomplished than you. So what do I do? Should I talk down to you from now on any time a subject ranges outside your area of mastery: umpiring?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49 View Post
Funny how people are saying that MLB clubs don't help at the lower level, yet 3 of the 4 biggest sponsors of amature baseball in Ontario have some connection to the MLB and the Toronto Blue Jays.
Good for Toronto. I commend them.

If you saw the half an effort that is made in the immense baseball hotbed that is Southern California, you would see why I would be apt to make that statement. I also see too many dilapidated fields with discs adorning the outfield fences bearing the names and retired numbers of multimillionaire stars.

Hey Gary Mathews! Five years, fifty mil? Go buy some sod and a backstop and a friggin' line marker for your old high school!
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

B) If you read what I wrote, I used the word "almost," which is the truth.
And this "truth" is based on what evidence? Do you or do you not have a source for this comment presented as a fact, or is it your opinion?

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 11:28pm.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The reason that you and I lock horns is because of the way you talk down to your lower-level umpire brothers just because you have some years on them or something. We're other umpires! Some of us love the game as much as humanly possible. So we don't need to be outclassed by you in some of that haughty stuff you write.
You are welcome to your perception, as are we all.

I don't "lock horns" with you. I don't have that much emotion invested in you, sorry.

What I do is refuse to give anyone a free ride who spouts questionable material as "fact" when it is indeed most likely opinion. We have a constant turnover of newbies here who may not understand that just because some posters use language to appear knowedgeable, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are.

While I do point out instances where opinion is being expressed as fact, it only looks like I'm locking horns with you because you do it so often.

If searching for the truth appears haughty to you, so be it.

Quote:
Well, you know what? When it comes to seeking and providing information on the game of baseball, I am at a higher level than you. I have had many more years of that than you and am decidedly more accomplished than you. So what do I do? Should I talk down to you from now on any time a subject ranges outside your area of mastery: umpiring?
As prez 40 would say, "There you go, again."

Since you have no knowlegde of my interests, history or abilities, you have no information to make a factual statement in this regard. You do, however, have every right to express your personal opinion and it will carry the weight it has earned.

So, then, bottom line, with no hautiness, just a request for honest data, do you or do you not have factual data to support your oft repeated claims that baseball players give less charitably then any other professional athlete? If so, please share it so you audience can measure it against what they might know.

Thanks.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Texas Hurrah

The OP had to do with low wages paid to baseball umpires.

I have no problem with accepting any set wage. I have a problem when a higher wage is paid to members of other Texas umpire associations.

Again, I have no problem with accepting any set wage. I have a problem when working JV games by myself and I don't get compensated the same as those in other associations who earn a game and a half pay check.

I also have no problem with the UIL baseball people who decide the triple the number of games played during the week of Spring or Easter break. But shouldn't an umpire earn some type of school holiday rate?

Just throwing it out there on the bargaining table.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

We got a raise this year. $10 on Varsity games, JV didn't change. We normally do a JV/V DH - that will pay $95/100, regardless of gate fees (and all the schools around here charge a gate fee). A Varsity DH would be $125.

TASO or UIL or whoever is giving a good screwin' to the umps on this deal. In order for you to get close to our pay scale you'd have to get $1,500 in gate fees. What's the difference in a 5A (or 6 or 8 - whatever you've got) district game and a 2A long time rivalry to decide the district champ? None, other than the number of students and the attendance. So why are you being paid less for that "small" game?

Pretty bogus, JMHO
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since you have no knowlegde of my interests, history or abilities, you have no information to make a factual statement in this regard. You do, however, have every right to express your personal opinion and it will carry the weight it has earned.

So, then, bottom line, with no hautiness, just a request for honest data, do you or do you not have factual data to support your oft repeated claims that baseball players give less charitably then any other professional athlete? If so, please share it so you audience can measure it against what they might know.

Thanks.
I worked hard for my sources, and you are not entitled to them.

And be more precise in your comprehension. I stated that they give less than "ALMOST any millionaires in America." That was based on an investigation by one of my sources that revealed that of all the millionaires in the game ($1 million per year or more), gave less than one percent of their salary to charity.

And I am positive that I am more accomplished in the area of seeking and providing information on the game of baseball than you. I don't meet many people of my ilk, and you would certainly not be one of them. You can be Mr. Umpire, but mastery of the rest of the game would be where you can get off the train.

So how do you like being treated like you treat everyone else?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

There are two reasons for the situation in Texas.

1. Higher quality umpires display a willingness tol accept low pay.

2. When higher quality umpires tire of accepting low pay, administrators display a willingness to accept mediocre low quality umpiring.

No one, even in Texas, has placed a gun to the head of umpires and forced them to work fo lower pay.
Closed Thread