The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

I was being tongue-in-cheek Mark. As an aerobatic pilot I have come to know a little bit about drag and laminar airflow. It seems to me that the drag on the (relatively) slow-moving bat handle would be very small, as would be the corresponding benefit of laminar flow over that 6-8" span. So I believe it is more of a sales gimmick than a revolution in bat technology. But you obviously know more about the fluid dynamics than I do, so maybe you could calculate an estimated increase in bat speed. I'd be interested in your findings.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

When I first saw this bat and the Mattingly bat I wondered how they would hold up. My concern is that to hold them correctly and take advantage of the unique designs you would always be hitting the same spot on the bat. At least with a traditional round handle the bat does get rotated. Any thoughts?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
I was being tongue-in-cheek Mark. As an aerobatic pilot I have come to know a little bit about drag and laminar airflow. It seems to me that the drag on the (relatively) slow-moving bat handle would be very small, as would be the corresponding benefit of laminar flow over that 6-8" span. So I believe it is more of a sales gimmick than a revolution in bat technology. But you obviously know more about the fluid dynamics than I do, so maybe you could calculate an estimated increase in bat speed. I'd be interested in your findings.

The act of a bat striking a bat is an example of a collision; actually it is an example of an elastic collision. A collision occurs when a relatively large force acts on colliding particles for a relatively short time. The basic idea of a collision is that the motion of at least one of the colliding particles changes rather abruptly and there is a relatively clean seperation of times that are "before the collision" and those that are "after the collision," in other words an elastic collision.

A force that acts for a period of time that is short compared to the time of observation of the system is called an impulsive force. Momentum is mass X velocity. When momentum is integrated with respect to time over a very very small amount of time one get impulse.

Both the kinetic energy and momentum of the system is conserved and since this is an elastic collision, without going through the deriviation of the equation: The sum of the initial and final velocities of the bat equals the sum of the intitial and final velocities of the ball. Assuming that the collision is an elastic one-dimentional collision the final velocity of the ball equals the sum of the initial and final velocities of the bat minus the initial velocity of the ball.

We know that baseball is a game of inches (or cm, ; I prefer the metric system) and it only takes a small increase the final velocity of the ball to mean the difference between an infielder making an each catch to start a double plan the the batted ball being out of the reach of the infielder.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Look how elastic this ball is compared to a wood bat on this swing by Paul Konerko:

Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

"What's a chick doing in the dugout?" Keith Hernandez
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Timber!

Legalization of this metal bat may legalize older "ax handles" which have not been a traditional part of the baseball handle mix. I have yet to see a wooden bat model adopt an ax handle design. There are many types of ax handles on the market. These handles are designed to ergonomically fit within the hand and provide much better performance in cold weather. Do current rules allow an ax handle design to be used prior to any required "legal approval" in winter baseball meetings?

Signed,
Lumber Jack

Last edited by SAump; Sat Jan 10, 2009 at 05:55pm.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Nice catch Dash!! but i'm thinkin' media tank?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Could be. Or maybe it's not a game - home run derby or something like that. In any event, get her out of there.

Just kidding - she can stay.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Sat Jan 10, 2009 at 08:03pm. Reason: Edited to add the last line.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA is pretty specific about it. pg 21 2009 rule book rule 1 sec 12 b

b. non wood bat
1. the entire bat must be round with a constant radius at any point and the finish of the hitting area must be smooth.

Looks like it illegal in NCAA..........
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Could be. Or maybe it's not a game - home run derby or something like that. In any event, get her out of there.

Always tough to concentrate when hot mom's, girlfriends, wives are close.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Probably a field-level suite.

I LOLd.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

The following message was posted on 1-23-09 on the IHSA (Illinois) website:

"Boys Baseball

Coaches,

It is very important that you notify your baseball players that two bats have the BESR certification but are illegal by rule since they are not round on the handle. The Vendeta bat has a square spot in the handle and the Vector has holes in the handle that created a flat spot and both bats have been identified by the NFHS as Illegal bats."
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post

"Boys Baseball

Coaches,

It is very important that you notify your baseball players that two bats have the BESR certification but are illegal by rule since they are not round on the handle. The Vendeta bat has a square spot in the handle and the Vector has holes in the handle that created a flat spot and both bats have been identified by the NFHS as Illegal bats."
Let us know how the first protest goes as NFHS rules say nothing about handles being round. It has already been established that the term "round" refers to the surface that strikes the ball, not the handle.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post

"Boys Baseball

Coaches,

You sure? The Mattingly bat was declared legal by FED and NCAA.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
You sure? The Mattingly bat was declared legal by FED and NCAA.
I'm just copying and pasting directly from the Illinois High School Association's website.