LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 2:43 PM
To: zz -Everyone
Subject: Additional Non ASA Approved Bat

All,

We have just learned that Wilson Sporting Goods intends to manufacture a bat that fails the new 2004 ASA performance standard but still passes the 1.20 BPF standard that is currently being used by other several softball organizations including USSSA, NSA and others. This bat does not have the ASA 2000 or ASA 2004 mark. Again, it is not approved by the ASA. The name of the bat is the Demarini Dark.

This bat has been added to our 2004 ASA Non Approved List that can be found by clicking on the certified equipment link at http://www.asasoftball.com. I’ve also attached a copy of the PDF.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional clarifications.

Thanks for the continued support…

Kelly McKeown

Director of Marketing

ASA/USA Softball

2801 NE 50th Street

Oklahoma City, OK 73111

Phone: 405-425-3422

Fax: 405-424-3855

Check us out on the web at http://www.asasoftball.com; http://www.usasoftball.com

Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Angry Banned and repainted

I heard the other day that some company repaints banned bats to look like legal bats. USSSA and NSA apparently have instituted a full year DQ for the batter and the coach if such a bat is used.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Banned and repainted

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
I heard the other day that some company repaints banned bats to look like legal bats. USSSA and NSA apparently have instituted a full year DQ for the batter and the coach if such a bat is used.
Don't know about NSA, but this is certainly true of USSSA.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Banned and repainted

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Sounds like someone is perpetrating a fraud and could end up spending a little time with Moose (and I'm not talking about the clinician's make-believe catcher).

Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I went to the coaches ACE clinic the other day and finally got an ASA rules book. It's a little strange that on the back of the rules book is a demarini ad that states "Effective immediately, all DeMarini bats meet the ASA bat performance standard." Brian
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Brian,
At the time of publishing, that was true.

And after the fact, DeMarini did what?!? Oh yeah,, DeMarini - the bat manufacturer - changed what they make and sell.

Interesting that some of these manfacturers are actually saying that this bat meets the ASA standard and is legal for every sanctioning body and this bat is not legal for ASA but is legal for some of the others.

Anybody else smell dead fish?
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
I went to the coaches ACE clinic the other day and finally got an ASA rules book. It's a little strange that on the back of the rules book is a demarini ad that states "Effective immediately, all DeMarini bats meet the ASA bat performance standard." Brian
Please note the DeMarini Dark was not one of the bats listed above that statement. The Dark was not meant for ASA play and was never intended to even attempt to get into ASA play.

Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Maybe not, but it is certainly misleading advertising and probably appears on the back of the team edition which will be even more misleading.

Has anyone heard any comment/ruling from other than NSA/USSSA on the repainted bats?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I downloaded it and I dont see the DeMarini's on the list.. the back of my ASA Ump Rule book for this year has them as legal....
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Wade - Look at the writeup by the manufacturer/sales folks for that bat. It states the bat is not intended for ASA play. Then look at the current banned bat list - the Dark is right at the top for March 22.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

ah gotcha...

Didnt realize the initial thread was specifically demarini dark... I thought the fight demarini vs asa was reinitiated...

my bad...