The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Correct FED balk mechanic?

I know from the blue PBUC manual that they teach the correct mechanic is to point "Thats a balk" and then to call time if there is no action that follows.

My question is under FED - is it correct to call "Thats a balk...Time" or "Time...thats a balk" while pointing?
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

"Time, that's a balk." In FED, nothing can happend after a balk. Unlike OBR.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:18pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I'm curious...why the difference? Why can something happen after a balk in OBR and not in FED? I'd love to pass it on to my listeners.

Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:29pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Sure, the hitter could hit a homerun.

Why the difference?...Well, the simple answer is that there is a rule difference between Fed and OBR.

I'll post one example below, however there are several instances where a play could occur after a balk in OBR.

Page 72 PBUC manual. If the balk is followed by a batted ball, leave the ball in play until it is apparent that the batter and all runners will not advance one base. At that moment, call "Time" and enforce the balk.

Hope that helps. Others will probably chime in as well.

Last edited by johnnyg08; Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 10:32pm.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

In Federation ball it is an immediate dead ball.

OBR is, as already stated.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

I always point and call "That's a balk" because it's transitional between leagues. If I throw my hands up (like when calling time) when I call a balk in FED, no problem. However, the habit may carry over into OBR season, which can put you in deep doo doo.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
never say time 1st.. always " Thats a balk, time" that way the coaches know whats going on.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In FED, since nothing can happen after a balk, the balk basically kills all action and therefor basically has two meanings (balk and time) all wrapped into one. To make things more uniform, it would seem at all levels, just call 'that's a balk' and then add "time" right after if appropriate, FED-always, OBR, etc.-depends on the situation.

And while we are at it, why can baseball not take the lead and have a uniform set of rules and interpretations for all leagues, starting at the LL level all the way up, except for a few extra safety rules and substitution rules? Start with the OBR for the rules and interpretations and then just add in a uniform set of safety rules and substitution rules? (Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer, wasn't that a song?)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
I'm curious...why the difference? Why can something happen after a balk in OBR and not in FED? I'd love to pass it on to my listeners.

Thanks.
To answer the OP: yes, "Time! That's a balk!" is the "correct" FED mechanic, if you go by the FED umpire manual. I do not, however, know anyone who goes by the FED umpire manual. Everyone I know does it as you've been advised to do: always call out the balk first.

To answer voiceoflg: FED changed balk enforcement a long time ago in observance of one of their officiating principles: make officiating more uniform. In their view too many umpires failed to understand when the ball becomes dead after a balk. So to simplify it, they made the ball dead immediately.

OBR leaves the ball live after a balk in case the pitcher pitches it. This gives the offense a little edge, since the batter might hit it and score a runner. The rulesmakers wanted that to count, to provide even more disincentive against illegal deception by the pitcher. So if the batter and each runner reach their advance bases, the balk is ignored; otherwise, the umpire will call time at the end of playing action (which is often the pitcher standing there holding the ball looking confused) and enforce the balk.

Last edited by mbyron; Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 07:45am.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote "And while we are at it, why can baseball not take the lead and have a uniform set of rules and interpretations for all leagues, starting at the LL level all the way up, except for a few extra safety rules and substitution rules? Start with the OBR for the rules and interpretations and then just add in a uniform set of safety rules and substitution rules? (Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer, wasn't that a song?)"
This is what is done in Canada. !!!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 09:21am
Stop staring at me swan.

I used the official mechanic for the OP, under the impression that he was sharing his thoughts with non-umpires. I agree w/ the poster who work both FED and OBR...that there can be some confusion mechanically between the FED mechanic and OBR mechanic.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
In FED, since nothing can happen after a balk, the balk basically kills all action and therefor basically has two meanings (balk and time) all wrapped into one. To make things more uniform, it would seem at all levels, just call 'that's a balk' and then add "time" right after if appropriate, FED-always, OBR, etc.-depends on the situation.

And while we are at it, why can baseball not take the lead and have a uniform set of rules and interpretations for all leagues, starting at the LL level all the way up, except for a few extra safety rules and substitution rules? Start with the OBR for the rules and interpretations and then just add in a uniform set of safety rules and substitution rules? (Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer, wasn't that a song?)
I firmly believe that, if the rules are not going to be uniform, all youth leagues should play by FED rules. Most kids are done playing after high school, so there's no reason to play under OBR ever in their playing days. But after PONY or LL, no kid is ready--rule wise--to play high school. I'm not sure which is dumber: having two sets of rules, or having pre-HS players playing by the official rules.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
To answer the OP: yes, "Time! That's a balk!" is the "correct" FED mechanic, if you go by the FED umpire manual. I do not, however, know anyone who goes by the FED umpire manual. ...
(I almost broke my chair laughing)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Time, That's a balk, start with the most advance runner and work your way around the diamond.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
To answer voiceoflg: FED changed balk enforcement a long time ago in observance of one of their officiating principles: make officiating more uniform. In their view too many umpires failed to understand when the ball becomes dead after a balk. So to simplify it, they made the ball dead immediately.
Actually, OBR's balk rule was the same as FED's, in regards to an immediate deadball, and they changed some time go. I'd have to check my notes, but I think it was in the 50's.