LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Something from the CA site...

http://www.cifstate.org/sports/rules...0grip%2008.pdf
===

April 3, 2008
DON MATTINGLY "V" GRIP BAT
There have been questions about the legality of the Don Mattingly V-Grip baseball bat. The National Federation has ruled that this bat is legal and may be used in all levels of high school competition.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Let us know how the first protest goes as NFHS rules say nothing about handles being round. It has already been established that the term "round" refers to the surface that strikes the ball, not the handle.

1) There are no protests in IL (IHSA) baseball.

2) A state is allowed to change this type of rule.

3) Even if protests were allowed, one on this issue would be denied.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
Rule 1-3-2: The bat which may be wood or non-wood product shall be a smooth cylinder implement....

Demarini's new bat has an 8-sided flat handle with four sides being wider than the other four sides. I know the bat has already passed NFHS's inspection process since it is BESR certified, but it seems like it contradicts their own rules.

On a side note, Reebok's new Vector-O bat has holes in the handle. It is supposed to reduce drag and increase bat speed by allowing air to pass through the handle.

If you've not seen either one, a google search will find them for you.
Both of those bats were discussed during our Fed. meeting this weekend and they are illegal for high school play.

Last edited by MichaelVA2000; Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 09:54pm.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I think Michael and I were at the same meeting. The DeMarini and Reebok bats were discussed by name, with both being characterized as illegal for FED ball in Virginia.

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

I exchanged emails with Jim Paronto and Ty Halpin this morning. Both bats, the Reebok and the DeMarini are legal in the NCAA. Given the reason "rule 1-12-b-1 is intended to address the barrel of the bat (hitting area)," I would conclude the Mattingly bat is also legal.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Per the NJSIAA, neither bat is legal in New Jersey for high school ball.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

First local association meeting was last night. Our local rules interpreter told us that at the present time we are to consider the two bats in question as illegal for NFHS play.

He mentioned the possibility of a pending review and approval by our state rule interpreter and promised to keep us posted.

It was interesting that, after seeing this subject kicked around on multiple internet discussion boards during the past couple of months, our interpreter's Power Point presentation included a segment on these bats, complete with photos. So, they are definitely "on the radar" and being actively discussed, which might ultimately lead to a reversal of any current ban.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump View Post
The Dimarini bas was specifically brought up in our state NFHS rules clinic last year and I believe they mentioned it was legal.
I had the rules clinic last week and this bat, the Mattingly and the Reebok were brought up.

The Dimariani is illegal
The Reebok is illegal
The Mattingly is legal
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1) There are no protests in IL (IHSA) baseball.

2) A state is allowed to change this type of rule.

3) Even if protests were allowed, one on this issue would be denied.
Come on, Bob, you and I both know that this is a BS issue! I think those bats are ridiculous but they are not illegal by any of the 3 codes.

I understand that the State may address certain issues; hell - here in CT, the State does not allow the mercy rule in FED ball! You should see some of the blow-outs we have here!
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
here in CT, the State does not allow the mercy rule in FED ball! You should see some of the blow-outs we have here!
Interesting. Isn't Connecticut the same state that has an automatic suspension of a football coach if his team wins by a 50-point margin?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have taught batting for many years to players at many levels. One of the very first points of emphasis when you begin instructing any hitter is the grip, and what to look for. When you grip a bat properly, you place the handle down on the pads of your fingers and gently surround it. You see a V shape where the base of your thumb meets your hand. You don't want an O shape like you see in so many hitters who wrap their hands around the bat.

So now, in order to ensure a proper grip in young, developing hitters, Donny Baseball and his development team have come up with this magnificent idea for the handle, and there are those who want to rule it illegal! Why? It's almost beyond belief.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I heard from the National Office the Vendetta is legal for 2009
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting that several posters have claimed that these bats have been banned by the NFHS at the national level (individual states can accept or reject any ruling as they see fit), now one says they have been approved at the national level, yet neither side has offered any specific, printed or published ruling to support their claims.

Should I say, "Show me the money", or, "Where's the beef"?

Can anyone offer anything concrete- something from their website, an issued interpretation or clarification, a news release, a memo- that directly addresses these bats?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Interesting. Isn't Connecticut the same state that has an automatic suspension of a football coach if his team wins by a 50-point margin?
Dunno - don't do football!
Ozzy just pawn in game of life!
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AllanA
This is what I received from TASO.

Dear Allan
TASO Baseball members that attended the 2009 State Meeting in Houston were told about two illegal bats that were on the market.

As of today, January 29, 2009, if a bat meets the length, diameter, weight to length ratio criteria, and is BESR certified, it is LEGAL for high school play.

Jay Evans, Rules Interpreter TASO Baseball