The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:37am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
No, this is what happens when States don't contact the National before making dumb decisions. The National ruled that these bats were legal for HS play a long time ago but ISHA thought that they were better at making this decision. I guess ISHA learned their lesson.
Actually, there are several states that don't adhere strictly to the national FED rules, and interps are made now and then in individual states that make sense. Several years ago, when the FED recommended helmets for ball shaggers, the IHSA made them mandatory. Smart move in these litigious times. When the IHSA made their interp on the bats, they had rule support (that "smooth cylindar" part) and the FED had no idea how big this issue would be. Once the FED jumped into the fray, the IHSA had a leader in this issue they could fall in line behind. Another smart move on the part of the IHSA.
I don't think there really was any "lesson to be learned" here by the IHSA.

JJ
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Please stop with the whining about "once illegal - now illegal". The bottom line is the manufacturers were at fault for not presenting the bats to NF for their approval. The declaration at many state interpreter clinics that the bats were illegal was the right decision at that time. Because of the amount of talk this issue generated the manufacturers got on their horse, presented the bats for approval; in essense appealing the previous NF ruling.

Upon inspection the bats in question were deemed legal. The NF is letting the states know and the states are relaying that info to their interpreters.

Underlying proof for legality:

"In essence, if a bat meets the length, diameter, weight to length ratio criteria, and is BESR certified, it is legal for high school play. Bats that have been altered, had a foreign substance inserted into the bat, broken, cracked or dented would still be removed from the game in individual situations that arise in a game."
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 02:02pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I'm surprised to read a discussion about a bat on an umpiring forum going on and on and on...wonder how many pages Carl added to his BRD around the blockbuster news?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long View Post
The declaration at many state interpreter clinics that the bats were illegal was the right decision at that time.
The Mattingly bat was declared legal in a prior year. That should have been a STRONG hint that the Demarini should be considered legal.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

I watch high school and even college hitters come to the plate with a 2004 Omaha with no logo left and absolutely rake. I watch high school kids, whose parents drive up in $150,000 cars, carry a high-tech $400-plus composite Space Shuttle plastic-coated super-bat to the plate, and they can't get a smudge on it. It's bizarre how rare it is that the guy with the latest high-tech bat is a great hitter.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieblue View Post
I think Michael and I were at the same meeting. The DeMarini and Reebok bats were discussed by name, with both being characterized as illegal for FED ball in Virginia.
They are both legal in Utah, supposedly through FED offices.......