The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I have him with malicious intent before he lands.

So, no run.
I think the penalty is ejection, but not an out. Under FED, if the runner initiated malicious contact before he scored he would be declared out, but that's it. You would need INT to get an out in NCAA or OBR, and that's clearly not the case here.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Ozzy i can see kind of where in the FPSR you can get him... Illegal slide. But in the Collision rule it says that the fielder MUST have possesion of the ball. but in 8-7b.a.r. If the base runner collides flagrantly, the runner shall be declared safe on the obstruction, ( which there was none on this play) but will be EJ from the Contest. The ball is dead.. SO I can kind of agree with you, but I still think he was just being stupid... Would this happen in a College or higher game? No cause the players are smarter and are more worried about getting hurt.
No, I doubt that NCAA players would try something like this. And the more that I think about it, FPSR is not an option in this scenerio. So I will nail him with simple Misconduct and still get rid of him.

You see, no matter what you guys argue, I am dumping this player unless he has a Contract in the Bigs!
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
If you look closely at the clip and pause it just as the runner is over the plate, you'll see that the only thing that kept the pitcher from getting spiked is the toss from F2 forcing him to lift his glove at the last second. A runner doesn't jump two foot in the air, ten feet from the plate, and try to land on a fielders glove without malicious intent.
If you're going to judge intent, the point in the clip that matters is the situation at the point the runner jumped. At the time of the jump, the ball is on the ground, the pitcher has just arrived at the plate, straddling it with his heels in the LH batter's box, and his glove is at waist height. The runner's landing point is short of the pitcher, and is actually on the third base half of the plate (front leg).

I see nothing more than youthful exuberance here. I do think the jump should be discouraged, because the runner has no control once he leaves the ground, but no rule is being broken.