The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie Umpire

I'm getting into my first year of umpiring baseball in Illinois. Anybody have any helpful resources, websites, or additional information that would help a rookie like myself. All help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Join an association, go to as much training as you can before the season.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Listen

Join your local HS Group
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

That's good advice. Get your chops with freshman and JV and your ascent will be more rapid. Listen to everything your fellow umpires say and nothing anyone else says and it'll go even quicker.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Join an association, go to as much training as you can before the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42 View Post
Join your local HS Group
...or assigner if there is one. Some of us don't have this luxury and have to cold call schools.

Slow down, have fun, don't get in a rush.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'll agree with what the first three have said: Go to all the training classes you can, and when you are there, listen to what your instructors have to say.

It probably will not take you long to find out who the respected veterans in your association are. Don't hesitate to ask them questions on the situations you encounter. All the experienced umpires I have worked with have been more than happy to talk umpiring with me and the ones you meet will be glad to do the same for you.

Good luck--I think you've made an excellent decision!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome!
You probably want to get in contact with your state high school association to get licensed, and they can most likely give you information about officials associations in your area.

Other than that, read the rules and casebooks, and get as many games as possible (within reason, don't burn yourself out like I almost did this summer), and just keep improving every game.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Layer up, stay warm.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
boboman,

All good advice in the posts above.

One opportunity you might want ot consider is a clinic being held in Wheaton this spring called "Blue School". They run six 3-hour sessions on Sunday afternoons from 3-6PM. Dates this year are 3/8,15,22,29 and 4/5 & 19 (consecutive, but they skip Easter). A bit of a drive from Crestwood, but at least the traffic tends to be pretty light on Sundays.

I have not personally attended (though I may this year), but I have heard very favorable comments from a number of acquaintances who have. The cost is $175 ($150 if you sign up with a "buddy") which strikes me as very reasonable.

In addition to the instruction, you might very well meet some folks from your area who could help you find an association or assignor who can help you get started working games in the spring.

You can read about it and find contact information here:

BlueSchool 2009

Of course if you're really serious about doing this, just go to the Jim Evans Florida Classic at the end of December:

Umpire Training Conducted by Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring

When I was in your shoes, I went to the Desert Classic and I believe it was the best thing I could have possibly done to get my umpiring career off to a good start.

Regardless, best of luck.

JM
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboman316 View Post
I'm getting into my first year of umpiring baseball in Illinois. Anybody have any helpful resources, websites, or additional information that would help a rookie like myself. All help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Assuming you will be working high school baseball, you should be sure to attend an IHSA clinic. Clinics are classified as either Level One or Level Two. If you have never umpired baseball before, the Level One clinic would probably be the way to go. The Level One clinic covers most of the basics, as well as two - person mechanics. The IHSA recently made clinic attendance mandatory for all first year officials in a given sport. A list of upcoming IHSA baseball clinics can be found at the following address:
IHSA Officials Clinics
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
boboman,

One opportunity you might want ot consider is a clinic being held in Wheaton this spring called "Blue School". They run six 3-hour sessions on Sunday afternoons from 3-6PM. Dates this year are 3/8,15,22,29 and 4/5 & 19 (consecutive, but they skip Easter). A bit of a drive from Crestwood, but at least the traffic tends to be pretty light on Sundays.

I have not personally attended (though I may this year), but I have heard very favorable comments from a number of acquaintances who have. The cost is $175 ($150 if you sign up with a "buddy") which strikes me as very reasonable.

In addition to the instruction, you might very well meet some folks from your area who could help you find an association or assignor who can help you get started working games in the spring.

You can read about it and find contact information here:

BlueSchool 2009

Of course if you're really serious about doing this, just go to the Jim Evans Florida Classic at the end of December:

Umpire Training Conducted by Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring

When I was in your shoes, I went to the Desert Classic and I believe it was the best thing I could have possibly done to get my umpiring career off to a good start.

Regardless, best of luck.

JM
Get licensed with Illinois High School Association. Illinois High School Association
Even park district and travel ball want 'patched' umpires. On the IHSA site is a list of associations. Have fun!!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

You live in Illinois...if you're anywhere near Davenport, Geneva, or Peoria get over to catch some Class A Midwest League games in the early spring. Two man system and you'll see first hand excellent mechanics, timing, positioning, and coverage from the young MiLB umpires looking to work their way the umpiring ladder in professional baseball. You can study their stance behind the plate, the angles they get to make calls on the bases, covering a steal (how they pivot and get a good angle), how both the umps READ and REACT when the ball is hit, how they carry themselves on the field etc. etc. You'll just learn a ton.
Two good umpire websites are SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL Online and Umpire's Resource Center
The first one has all kinds of news and tons of links to all sorts of umpire websites. The second one has Forums that are setup by subject, type /level of baseball, and there is a forum section specifically for new umpires.
Good luck in your first season...it'll be here before you know it.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

You might want to start thinking of starting your resource library. PBUC's "red book", on two man mechanics, PBUC's blue book, (MiLB) The rules of Professional Baseball by Rick Roder, Rules Differences by Childress and if you have the bucks, Jimmy's new book on two man mechanics. And as mentioned above, if you can attend Jimmy's winter classic in Florida this month, it would be well worth it. Especially if you've never umpired before. No bad habits to correct, learn it the right way to start from a great staff.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

You'll need a student loan.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
boboman,

I've always been amazed by guys who claim to teach professional mechanics and all when they themselves have never been to pro school and work pretty much high school ball and below.