Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

My .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
What's more annoying...the rats lying about being a former pro player or the rat who "used to umpire"?

For me, it's the rat who "used to umpire"...umpire what? your son's little league game from behind the pitcher's mound?
Im going to agree that is the coach who "used to umpire" or "I'm an umpire too" that is the worst.......

They arent playing in the game so I could care less what their actual playing stats are or never were....
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Two good umpire websites are SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL Online and Umpire's Resource Center
The first one has all kinds of news and tons of links to all sorts of umpire websites.
Was this serious, or some sort of very odd accidental posting ?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

The Umpire's Resource Center part is seriousd. I think the ump.com part may have come from creating a link to ump.com without checking to see what it was (and it is a surgical journal).
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

As for the advice to go to all kinds of different websites I strongly recommend you focus on information available at nfhs.com.

As you will quickly find out there is a lot of difference between MLB, American Legion, NCAA and IHSA rules.

Learn the NFHS rules which pertain to all IHSA high school baseball games.

You will thank me later.

Good luck and dress warmly.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
How about, "I was with the Yankees and the Tigers for eight years"?

And then you go home and look the guy up and he never even made a minor league roster.

Kevin--Where did you find information about all minor league players. I know they have records of all the major league players in books and on the internet, but I did not know they have the records of all minor-league players on the net or in a book. I assumed there were some archived records of all the minor-league players at the minor league office in St. Pete, if you could get your hands on them. But I did not know these records were anywhere to be checked out on the net or in a book. Could you let me know where you found information on all the former minor league players? Thanks
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

My pleasure!

Go here: http://minors.baseball-reference.com/ You can look up anybody who played from 1992 on (work in progress).

Or go to the directory page: Minor League Player Directory - Baseball-Reference.com Just click a Last Initial and they'll give you a list of every minor leaguer with that initial, with a link to his record. The lists have an asterisk next to the name of each guy that made the big leagues.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Dec 19, 2008 at 01:03pm.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
Now I would never say that, would I?

Let's just say that more than one person there isn't what--or who--he says he is. This somehow seems to be a rather common thing about some Chicago area umpires. Take the gentleman who talked his way into the Northern League by introducing himself as "John Doe, former Double-A crew chief." (name redacted)
Are you suggesting the guy who runs the Blue School is a liar and an umpire who cries if someone yells at him? Or are you suggesting that some of the Blue School instructors are fabricating their backgrounds and that is part of a larger Chicago tradition of false resumes and since the umpire who cried is from Chicago and the Blue School staff are from Chicago they must both be liars?

Last edited by tcarilli; Sat Dec 20, 2008 at 11:11pm. Reason: grammar
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Question Fyi

The crying umpire is no longer working in the NL. I would find it puzzling if he were working as an instructor.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3UROUT View Post
As for the advice to go to all kinds of different websites I strongly recommend you focus on information available at nfhs.com.

As you will quickly find out there is a lot of difference between MLB, American Legion, NCAA and IHSA rules.

Learn the NFHS rules which pertain to all IHSA high school baseball games.

You will thank me later.

Good luck and dress warmly.
I beg to differ, for a new umpire starting out learn Organized Baseball Rules (OBR.) Everything starts from there. Learn the "Mother" of all rules and it's easy to apply the differences.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Well said! ... And with wisdom.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Advice for rookie umpires

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboman316 View Post
I'm getting into my first year of umpiring baseball in Illinois. Anybody have any helpful resources, websites, or additional information that would help a rookie like myself. All help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Work on 3 things:
1) quality uniforms and equipment
2) field mechanics, signals and decorum
3) knowledge of the rules and its finer points

Last edited by SAump; Wed Dec 24, 2008 at 04:21pm.