The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fastpitch Send a message via MSN to fastpitch
Rookie Umpire Situation

As a rookie umpire, here is one that caught me by surprise and want to know if I got it right:

1. 10U Rec - pitched ball is inside off the plate - batter is confused and rather than getting out of the way ends up putting her hand out as though to catch it - she missed and it only touched her hand she was trying to catch it with. I think a second and call - Ball

2. 18U rec - foul tip caught by catcher, runner steals 2B, SS hears BU call foul ball before runner arrives at 2B and gives up on the play. PU awards 2B, coach appeals and umpires discuss, what is the call? (I was coaching in this one)
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on what the PU said, not what the SS heard. If PU said and signaled "foul tip", safe at 2nd. If the PU said "foul ball", he has made a mistake. Not knowing how the play might have ended up absence his mistake, the best solution is to send the runner back to first.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
Depends on what the PU said, not what the SS heard. If PU said and signaled "foul tip", safe at 2nd. If the PU said "foul ball", he has made a mistake. Not knowing how the play might have ended up absence his mistake, the best solution is to send the runner back to first.
Reread. It states "BU" called foul.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

#1 Dead ball - Ball

#2 Bad BU - BU should not call foul ball. It's not their job. PU awarded the base because it is the responsibility of the defense to know what the situation is.

HOWEVER! Once the ball is killed, even by mistake, it's dead. The BU's mistake should cause the runner to have to go back to 1st and a strike (foul) be put on the batter. That is why the BU should not call foul balls.

How many strikes were there? If 2 before the foul tip we can still have the out because the batter was already retired.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
#1 Dead ball - Ball
Unless there was a runner on base attempting to steal. Then the call would be, dead Ball, INT on the batter who is out and the runner returned.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Reread. It states "BU" called foul.
Oops! Still should return runner to 1st, since BU killed the play.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Good point Mike.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fastpitch Send a message via MSN to fastpitch
These were 2 entirely separate incidents. There were no runners on when the 10U batter attempted to catch the pitch. In the basestealing sit., my daughter was playing SS, and I asked her what happened but it was windy and could not hear her, of course some would say I cannot hear anyway - that's why I've started umpiring Thanks for the replies.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel

#2 Bad BU - BU should not call foul ball. It's not their job. PU awarded the base because it is the responsibility of the defense to know what the situation is.
In clinics we wre repeatedly taught that the BU calls the foul ball if the ball hits the batter in the box (off the bat) and PU may not be able to see it.

Is this bad mechanics?

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
In clinics we wre repeatedly taught that the BU calls the foul ball if the ball hits the batter in the box (off the bat) and PU may not be able to see it.

Is this bad mechanics?
I call "Dead ball" if the ball hits the batter.

This way, if there are situations where the batter has taken a step, I will only be calling the dead ball and thus allowing the PU to rule whether it hit her while she was still in the box (foul ball) or whether she was out of the box and it was fair or foul when it hit her.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitch
As a rookie umpire, here is one that caught me by surprise and want to know if I got it right:

2. 18U rec - foul tip caught by catcher, runner steals 2B, SS hears BU call foul ball before runner arrives at 2B and gives up on the play. PU awards 2B, coach appeals and umpires discuss, what is the call? (I was coaching in this one)
Shew! This board saved me again. Being my first year of softball, there are some basic things I didn't know. Until reading this sitch, I didn't realize that the ball stays live in fastpitch on a foul tip. I am sure that eventually I would have done something horrid because of my ignorance. Thanks!
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtref
Shew! This board saved me again. Being my first year of softball, there are some basic things I didn't know. Until reading this sitch, I didn't realize that the ball stays live in fastpitch on a foul tip. I am sure that eventually I would have done something horrid because of my ignorance. Thanks!
It is just like a strike swinging unless F2 drops it. Then it is a foul ball

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon May 01, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtref
One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to study the rule book. It's great to come on this board for advise but it doesn't replace studying and knowing the rules prior to stepping on the field, especially the 'basic things' like foul tips.

Good luck