The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Question New/Old Rookie

I used to work quite a bit of volleyball but I hven't worked volleyball for 20+ years now. Needless to say my mechanics have got to stink! I signed up to ref volleyball @ the local YMCA this spring to help me get back into the groove so I'll be ready to do HS this fall. I'm back in college FT & I'm doing officiating to make ends meet for me & my family.

Anyone want to fill me in on what I've missed over the past 20+ years?

Any sage advice?

Thanks in advance!

BIG'S BLOG
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:29am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Move forward into the present...

Big, if you refereed volleyball 20 years ago, the changes will strike you as numerous. However, the most important thing for you is your attitude toward the game. Read the rules book, talk with coaches and other officials who are respected in your geographical area, and become a student of the game again. Also, realize that YMCA volleyball may not adequately prepare you for reffing high school next fall. Depending on the level of the matches that you end up working, the intensity of the players and coaches can differ widely.

The major differences are: the antennas are directly above the sidelines now; the serving area extends the full width of the court; the ball can contact the net during the serve on its way over and play will continue ("let" serve); multiple contacts on first ball over are allowed including allowing finger action; scoring is rally score (each time a team wins a rally, they get a point); games are played to 25 points except the deciding game is to 15; we now play best 3 out of 5 games on the varsity level; each team gets only 2 time-outs per game; red and yellow cards are used for penalties. As I can remember it, these are the major changes that have taken place over the last 20 years.

Good luck!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear
Big, if you refereed volleyball 20 years ago, the changes will strike you as numerous.
You're right there!

Quote:
However, the most important thing for you is your attitude toward the game. Read the rules book, talk with coaches and other officials who are respected in your geographical area, and become a student of the game again.
That's the same no matter what sport. I know that if you know the rules and have a great attitude you're a long ways down the raod already!

Quote:
Also, realize that YMCA volleyball may not adequately prepare you for reffing high school next fall.
I realize that but the sports director @ the Y really knows her stuff and is willing to teach me.

Quote:
The major differences are: the antennas are directly above the sidelines now; the serving area extends the full width of the court; the ball can contact the net during the serve on its way over and play will continue ("let" serve); multiple contacts on first ball over are allowed including allowing finger action; scoring is rally score (each time a team wins a rally, they get a point); games are played to 25 points except the deciding game is to 15; we now play best 3 out of 5 games on the varsity level; each team gets only 2 time-outs per game; red and yellow cards are used for penalties. As I can remember it, these are the major changes that have taken place over the last 20 years.
The antennaes were over the lines when I last reffed. All of the other stuff you mentioned have changed though. I won'tbe able to get a rule book from the state for a couple of months so I may have to ask some questions that are obvious to everyone else but leave me clueless.

I guess the big question I have is what are the red & yellow penalty cards used for? We didn't have them when I worked last.

Also, anyone have any suggestions on mechanics/procedures for substitutions?

BIG'S BLOG
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 07:02am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Penalty Cards

Big, the yellow and red cards are used for sanctions and penalties. The three major rules codes in the US (NFHS, USAV and NCAA) use them in different ways. I will be referencing the NFHS and USAV procedures since you will probably not be using NCAA rules at the Y.

In NFHS (High School) rules, there are three sanctions: Yellow Card for a Warning, Red Card for a Penalty and Red & Yellow Cards displayed held apart for Disqualification.

On page 43 and 44 of the NFHS Rules Book, the PROCEDURE FOR UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT VIOLATIONS: reads as follows:

Quote:
1. The referee, as the head official, sets the tone for the match and shall be responsible for controlling the unsportsmanlike conduct of coaches, players and/or other team personnel. Therefore, only the referee shall administer the cards as follows:
a. Hold the card(s) in the hand(s) on the offending team's side of the court with the arm outstretched, elbow bent 90 degrees and hand(s) held head-high.
b. Verbalize to the umpire the number of the player(s) or which coach is receiving the card. The referee shoudl be sure that the umpire also has identified the offender(s) and verified that the scorer has recorded the information on the scoresheet. Under no circumstances shall the officials permit unsportsmanlike behavior to occur without a penalty. If there are multiple offenses, each offender shall be penalized.

2. When the umpire sees or hears an action or response that necessitates a card, he/she shall move to the offending team's side of the net and take a few steps onto the court toward the referee. The umpire holds the card(s) in the middle of his/her chest and indicates verbally the number of the offending player(s) or coach. It is the responsibility of the referee to immediately administer any card(s) requested by the umpire.

3. Warning: For a first minor offense, a yellow card is administered by the referee at the first dead ball. The warning shall be recorded in the Comments section on the scoresheet and on the umpire's lineup card. No penalty is assessed.

4. Penalty: For a second minor offense by the same individual, or for a single serious offense, a red card is administered at the first dead ball. A loss of rally/point is awarded to the opponent, and the penalty is recorded in the Comments section on the scoresheet and on the umpire's lineup card.

5. Disqualification: For a third minor or second serious offense by the same individual, or a single flagrant offense, the yellow and red cards are displayed apart (usually at the first dead ball). The offender is disqualified from further participation in the match, and may be removed from the vicinity of the team bench provided there is authorized school personnel available to supervise. (When the offender is a coach or other adult team personnel, the offender shall be removed from the premises.) A loss of rally/point is awarded to the opponent, and the official shall notify the appropriate coach of the reason for the disqualification. The disqualification is recorded in the Comments section of the scoresheet and on the umpire's line-up card.

6 Forfeit:
a. If a disqualified individual vioates the conduct rule following disqualification, the offender's team shall forfeit the match.
b. If the the coach is removed from the premises and there is no other authorized school personnel available, the team shall forfeit the match.
c. If a team refuses to play when directed to do so by the referee, the team shall forfeit the match.

7. If the situation warrants, the officials may issue a red card or a yellow and red card on a first unsportsmanlike conduct violation.

8. The umpire shall direct the scorer to record the proper notations and verify that the scorer has recorded them.

9. All cards carry over from game to game throughout the match. The umpire shall keep notations on the line-up card. The scorer shall notify the umpire of any previous violations by the same individual.

10. When unsportsmanlike conduct occurs from the bench or court and the officials cannot determine the specific offender(s), the warning or penalty is issued to the coach.

11. Any cards issued for unsportsmanlike conduct prior to the first game or between games shall be administered at the beginning of the game immediately following the violation. After lineups are recorded, the card(s) is recorded in the Comments section on the scoresheet for the game in which it is administered.

12. Requests such as time-out, serving order check, substitution, etc. shall not be recognized until after the card(s) is administered.

13. If the team captain asks in a proper manner, the referee shall give the reason for the penalty, but shall not permit further discussion of the penalty.
That is the section pertaining to UC (unsportsmanlike conduct) as printed in the NFHS Rules Book.

Be aware, however, that if you are working v-ball at the Y, you may be using USAV rules, in which case the situation changes. If you are using USAV rules, ALL warnings are given verbally - you do not use a yellow card for any warning. The Yellow Card in USAV is handled as a Penalty - loss of rally/point awarded to the opponent . A Red Card is an Expulsion and the offender is not allowed to play for the remainder of the set - no loss of rally/point is assessed. The Red and Yellow cards held together in one hand are used for Disqualification and the offender is removed from the vicinity of the court for the duration of the match - again, no loss of rally/point is assessed.

You indicated that the Sports Director at the Y knows her stuff and is willing to work with you. She will definitely be able to help you in using the appropriate rules set for your situation whether it is using NFHS Rules or USAV Rules.

I hope this has been of assistance to you and not too long or tedious.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hope this has been of assistance to you and not too long or tedious.
THANKS!!! Your explanation was a BIG help!

Everything is FED rules. So the yellow & red cards are ONLY for unsportsmanlike penalties?

BIG'S BLOG
Old Sat Apr 08, 2006, 03:28pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Yellow and Red Cards

Big, the cards are used for conduct penalties from the minor stuff (dealt with by a yellow card) to more serious conduct behavior (dealt with by a red card penalty) to those extremely serious behavioral problems (red/yellow cards disqualification).

The best suggestion that I can give you is to become familiar with Rule 12 of the NFHS Rules Book.