The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

hey guys
i'm a rookie official and i have some questions for you "old vets!" just kidding.
anyway, the other nite i worked with an official who was very stationery and i found myself as the lead/trail official having to constantly be walking from side to side so as not to miss calls for him and myself. my question is should i always be moving from one side of the court to the other whether i am lead official or trail official and whether my partner is stationery or not. should i always stay at a diagonal from my partner?
my next question is A1 is dribbling the ball, B2 is guarding A1. A2 is standing between A1 and B2. there is no contact made between A2 and B2, but when B2 makes any movement left or right in an attempt to guard A1, then A2 makes the same movement to stay in between A1 and B2. is this an illegal screen? sorry for the bad description and i hope you guys understand what i am trying to explain. thanks for the help!
Old Sun Jan 30, 2000, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

my question is should i always be moving from one side of the court to the other whether i am lead official or trail official and whether my partner is stationery or not. should i always stay at a diagonal from my partner?

A key axiom of officiating is that you need to move to where you can get a good look at the play. If Lead, this may entail cutting across the lane to get a good angle on post play. If you do cut across, remember what your primary areas are, and be prepared to hustle your butt back over on a skip pass towards your sideline. Also, if you cut across the lane, remember that when the other team gets the ball and you become new Trail, you'll need to get back over towards your sideline.

Likewise, as Trail you need to move to get the best angle. Do not camp out along the sideline. You will need to work out towards the middle of the court as the play dictates. You usually won't need to go more than halfway across, but in certain backcourt scenarios you'll need to go further.

With game experience you'll learn to anticipate plays and determine where the optimal spot for you to be.

my next question is A1 is dribbling the ball, B2 is guarding A1. A2 is standing between A1 and B2. there is no contact made between A2 and B2, but when B2 makes any movement left or right in an attempt to guard A1, then A2 makes the same movement to stay in between A1 and B2. is this an illegal screen?

There is no "moving screen" violation; you either have a foul or you have nothing. If there is no contact, there is no foul. Review Rule 4-39 for what is and isn't a legal screen.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2000, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

As regards moving too much - call YOUR game. If your partner refuses to move or doesn't know how/when to move, let him/her live and die with it. Don't let their inadequacies effect the game you are calling.
Regarding the "illegal screen" - you'll hear it all the time from people who don't know the rule, but just remember one thing: no contact, no foul. If contact does occur you have to determine who initiated it. Refereeing the defense will usually make this call easy.