The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241 View Post
Since when does the WS have a different set of rules than every other MLB game?? Listening to Bud's press conference and he stated that if the Rays didn't score in the 6th that the game would be in a rain delay for 24-48 hrs in order to complete the game. What a joke. If the game was 2-1 after 4.5 the game should be called. Period.

ETA: Bud just got asked the question. He said that he has enough power to do whatever the hell he wants to do. That is nice to hear.
Guess you missed the rule change in 2007
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano View Post
Guess you missed the rule change in 2007
The 2007 rule change did not get rid of games being official after 5 (or 4.5). Selig stated that IF the score was Philies 2 Rays 1 after 5 1/2 innings he would have suspended the game.

To those of you arguing that there is no problem with this POSSIBLE "ruling," would you have a problem with it if it were during the regular season? (And when was the last time a game was suspended after it was official even though one team was ahead. Never.) If your answer is yes, then there is a problem. The rules should not change from the regular season to the WS.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Anybody hear of "house rules"?

Buds house..Buds rules.. 24-48-72 hr rain delay......

I believe the 2007 rule change for WS is a valid one. Nobody want to see a team backdoor into a championship.

If we really want to get rid of wacky rules..let's start with the DH..then the home field ca-ca from the winner of the All-Star Game...

griff

American by birth...Christian by choice.....

NRA life member
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The 2007 rule change did not get rid of games being official after 5 (or 4.5). Selig stated that IF the score was Philies 2 Rays 1 after 5 1/2 innings he would have suspended the game.

To those of you arguing that there is no problem with this POSSIBLE "ruling," would you have a problem with it if it were during the regular season? (And when was the last time a game was suspended after it was official even though one team was ahead. Never.) If your answer is yes, then there is a problem. The rules should not change from the regular season to the WS.
Well of course they should and do.

Both teams knew the game was going to go at least nine innings BEFORE the game even started. No World Series Game has ever been called and none ever will.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Lighten up, Francis!! Most leagues will have a different set of rules regarding suspension, darkness, etc of the game during the playoffs or championship because this is what determines the champion.

The rule book does not state how long a game can be delayed(rain, etc). During the season there are other schedules to maintain.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Always Wright
Here's my question. If he had the authority to suspend the game indefinitely, why did they wait for the Rays to tie the game before they stopped play? It was a complete joke that they played the top of the 6th. That was far and away the worst conditions I have ever seen baseball played in. It was extremely dangerous for the players, in particular, Hamels. And the run the Rays scored has to be considered somewhat tainted - how could anyone make a good defensive play in those conditions. If Bud had big ones, he would have stopped the game after 5 (or even before) and done what he said he would have done. Suspend the game until conditions were acceptable. Instead, he waited until the Rays tied the game and the suspension is supported by the rule book. Big ones indeed.

Chris Wright
Brooklyn, NY
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

At some point, you have to exercise some common sense. The reality is that no one (not even the Phillies) wants a rain-shortened game in the World Series...much less a series clinching game.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
There might be a serious answer, but I couldn't resist the obvious,

"called a hurricane"

thanks
David
That's an excuse and not a justification. There were plenty of more logical sites at which to play those 2 "home" games. Atlanta was one, and even the Rangers' field in Arlington was available. It was in the mid-80s and sunny in Arlington, TX. when those two Astros "home" games were played in the Cubs' backyard.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wright View Post
Here's my question. If he had the authority to suspend the game indefinitely, why did they wait for the Rays to tie the game before they stopped play?
Because "they" think the Rays are good for ratings?

Maybe they shouldn't have started the 6th. Maybe they thought the field would still be playable. But to say, "let's start the 6th so the Rays can try to tie it and we can make it a suspended game?" I don't think MLB umpires think like that. At any rate I certainly hope they don't care what the score is.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Stop the Game!

MLB erred on the biggest stage.
The game Monday should have never been started.
The weather forecast called for rain, followed by more rain.
I didn't think about how well the wet field would drain.
If you ask, me I would call it a draw and play another 9 innning game.
A three inning game is questionable at best.
I hope every pitcher on staff is on hand and pitching changes occur every half-inning.
Everyone is coming in from the bullpen. That is just how important the game is now.

Last edited by SAump; Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 07:36pm.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
FOX doesn't care about that.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since when does the WS have a different set of rules than every other MLB game?? Listening to Bud's press conference and he stated that if the Rays didn't score in the 6th that the game would be in a rain delay for 24-48 hrs in order to complete the game. What a joke. If the game was 2-1 after 4.5 the game should be called. Period.

ETA: Bud just got asked the question. He said that he has enough power to do whatever the hell he wants to do. That is nice to hear.
Are you serious? Its the world series for christ sake.. and you think that it should ne called on a rain delay... yes I agree with the regular season games, but not for the championship. Good call by Bud Selig. ( for Once)
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
I didn't think about how well the wet field would drain.
If you ask, me I would call it a draw and play another 9 innning game.
A three inning game is questionable at best.
I hope every pitcher on staff is on hand and pitching changes occur every half-inning.
Everyone is coming in from the bullpen. That is just how important the game is now.
there was only a 10% chance of rain on Monday.. in the press confrenece Bud slig addressed this.