The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Two Different Strike Zones?? WS Game 5 (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49584-two-different-strike-zones-ws-game-5-a.html)

Roscoe46 Mon Oct 27, 2008 09:39pm

Two Different Strike Zones?? WS Game 5

Very rough night due to weather conditions etc ... but has it seemed to be two different strike zones for the game tonight? Kellog may as well have on a Phillies uniform!! All jokes aside, the zone for Hamels has been very wide but very tight for Kazmir. I know some of you will blast me for the comment, and state Hamels has earned the larger zone, but tonight has been ridiculous. The only really consistent zone for this series has been Culbreth's.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Oct 27, 2008 09:53pm

Blast away gentlemen, the man's right. It's another night and another glaring umpiring performance. Just being honest, if that's allowed.

kylejt Mon Oct 27, 2008 09:57pm

Hey, I'm still waiting for Holliday to tag the plate.

Steamed in SD

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...ockies.600.jpg

SethPDX Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 546412)
Blast away gentlemen, the man's right. It's another night and another glaring umpiring performance. Just being honest, if that's allowed.

Well, maybe if the policy were changed to allow umpires to work back-to-back series, and the World Series in consecutive years...

Toadman15241 Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:31pm

Since when does the WS have a different set of rules than every other MLB game?? Listening to Bud's press conference and he stated that if the Rays didn't score in the 6th that the game would be in a rain delay for 24-48 hrs in order to complete the game. What a joke. If the game was 2-1 after 4.5 the game should be called. Period.

ETA: Bud just got asked the question. He said that he has enough power to do whatever the hell he wants to do. That is nice to hear.

mrm21711 Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 546423)
Well, maybe if the policy were changed to allow umpires to work back-to-back series, and the World Series in consecutive years...

The only World Series assignment that I thought was questionable was Danley. Ive felt his zone is inconsistent after watching him over the years. Other than that...what can you do?

MrUmpire Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadman15241 (Post 546425)
Since when does the WS have a different set of rules than every other MLB game?? Listening to Bud's press conference and he stated that if the Rays didn't score in the 6th that the game would be in a rain delay for 24-48 hrs in order to complete the game. What a joke. If the game was 2-1 after 4.5 the game should be called. Period.

ETA: Bud just got asked the question. He said that he has enough power to do whatever the hell he wants to do. That is nice to hear.

There was a rule change...last year, I believe...regarding suspended games. Bud is within the rules this time.

OzUmp Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:51pm

Face it, the non-jock sniffers on these forums are not the only ones talking about the "job" this crew is doing. It is on the minds of a lot of people. It was this zone that was mentioned in the OP that got the Phills out to an early lead. Instead of a strike out (and end of inning) on a batter with two pitches on the inside corner (that were balled) you had a walk followed by a two run double to left. I am not a rays fan but it seems to me that McCarver was right to criticise the PU for his zone. The poor Rays pitcher must have wondered what he had to do to get a strike called besides throw it down the guts.

Toadman15241 Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 546429)
There was a rule change...last year, I believe...regarding suspended games. Bud is within the rules this time.

No, Bud said if the Phillies were up 2-1 after 5.5 that they would not call the game. They would have called it a rain delay, even if that meant the delay was 24-48 hrs. This is not anywhere close to the rules.

MrUmpire Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadman15241 (Post 546431)
No, Bud said if the Phillies were up 2-1 after 5.5 that they would not call the game. They would have called it a rain delay, even if that meant the delay was 24-48 hrs. This is not anywhere close to the rules.

MLB has adopted the PBUC rule regarding suspended games. See your PBUC manual (the "Blue Book") page 53, Suspended Games 5.5 (3)

realistic Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadman15241 (Post 546431)

Bud Seling has the authority to do anything that is not specifically stated in the rule book. There is no time limit that a game can remain in a rain delay. The Phillies do not want to go down as the team that had the deciding game handed to them. Bud is a purist and it takes big cajones to make that call. I have never been a fan of his, but I applaud him on this decision.

SAump Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:26pm

Bud

Quote:

Originally Posted by realistic (Post 546436)
Bud Seling has the authority to do anything that is not specifically stated in the rule book. There is no time limit that a game can remain in a rain delay. The Phillies do not want to go down as the team that had the deciding game handed to them. Bud is a purist and it takes big cajones to make that call. I have never been a fan of his, but I applaud him on this decision.

What was the rationale for asking the Astros to play a home game against the Cubs in Milwaukee?

David B Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 546441)
What was the rationale for asking the Astros to play a home game against the Cubs in Milwaukee?

There might be a serious answer, but I couldn't resist the obvious,

"called a hurricane" ;)

thanks
David

David B Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roscoe46 (Post 546408)
Very rough night due to weather conditions etc ... but has it seemed to be two different strike zones for the game tonight? Kellog may as well have on a Phillies uniform!! All jokes aside, the zone for Hamels has been very wide but very tight for Kazmir. I know some of you will blast me for the comment, and state Hamels has earned the larger zone, but tonight has been ridiculous. The only really consistent zone for this series has been Culbreth's.

there might have been a few pitches, but overall not much difference. The Rays have had trouble getting calls all series which leads me to believe that their F2 might not be the best at selling the edges of the strike zone.

Certainly he's a MLB, but I noticed the same thing in the Red Sox series.

Something he does must not jive with the umpires to get the calls.

But that's just my observations.

Thanks
David

realistic Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 546441)

I guess that he felt he wouldn't know when Houston would be "open for business" again.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of his. He is hired by the owner's to run their league. The majority of the time, his decisions are with the owner's in mind.