The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

what are they wearing?

Game six ALCS. PU takes a shot off mask to collarbone. I'm thinking my chest protector would get it but it might sting. TV doesn't make it clear but the crewchief has got the PU by the arm and walking him off the field. Did I miss something where the PU showed he was in bad shape. Game seven, I'm looking at what PU has got under his shirt. It looked pretty light which might be good if it was expensive but if it's the same thing as what the game six guy had I'm not buying it. No, I'm not good enough to call behind MLB, MILB catchers.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

I think the shot off the mask was the nasty part of the blow. It looked like a Schutt ComfortLite Mask, which I use. They are really light, but the padding, IMO, is too thin. After watching that, and having bouts with concussion myself, I'm swapping out pads before my next plate appearance. Light is nice, but not if it scrambles your brain. I hope he's okay.

A Gold, or Platinum will deny most collarbone shots, but it's possible to sneak a ball in between the mask and protector and get bone.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I think the shot off the mask was the nasty part of the blow. It looked like a Schutt ComfortLite Mask, which I use. They are really light, but the padding, IMO, is too thin.
Is the Schutt a low profile mask?
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
The mask likely wasn't the issue, it was probably the CP. I was out with the crew after game 3 and DC told me that he still uses an old school ribbed style S.O.S. that isn't even made anymore. He was aware of the new technology, but liked his old CP. It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks, but it just may be time for an upgrade...
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Bobby, do you know how many MLB umps are still wearing the old, ribbed style protector?
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
The mask likely wasn't the issue, it was probably the CP. I was out with the crew after game 3 and DC told me that he still uses an old school ribbed style S.O.S. that isn't even made anymore. He was aware of the new technology, but liked his old CP. It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks, but it just may be time for an upgrade...
First of all, he took two nearly identical shots in that game. But the second one looked like it smashed the lower part of the mask into the bone.

Get a Platinum!
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post

Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
It's flatter than my Honig's, but not as flat is a New View.

That shot was right on the jaw, so the profile wasn't an issue here. The padding on the Schutt is very thin.

If DC is wearing an old ribbed protector, that's just crazy. It's true that MLB guys get hit less, but it's just a matter of time.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

When I was going to college in the late-70s, I worked at a sports bar near LAX. Cousins, who was then a rookie umpire working as a replacement, was one of my customers. I loved some of his fascinating stories about umpiring in the big leagues. It's part of what got me interested in that part of the game. I played and then coached, but I turned to umpiring too, because of how interesting he made it sound. I look at him now as one of the aging veterans, and it makes me feel pretty old. I'm glad he eventually earned everyone's respect, because he is a good man.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Oct 20, 2008 at 11:13am.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
The padding on the Schutt is very thin.
Those wrap-around Wilsons are the ones. Have you tried them? Would they fit? It's a different shot altogether with the Wilson wrap-around deerskin type pads. Very comfortable, too. (It takes an adjustment at first because they seem confining, but then, they're very comfortable.) Oh, and the deerskins are not as hot as the black ones on really hot days.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Oct 20, 2008 at 11:32am.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've had hits where:

The mask gets bent.
Twisted around.
Almost knocked off.
Catcher has missed the ball completely and hits me square.

All in all some really nasty shots over the years. I only do games (99.9%) on the big field.

I use a Gerry Davis mask.

I haven't come close to getting my bell rung. Maybe I can take a "punch" or I'm a cement head as per my wife.

I sometimes wonder if the concussions occur because the mask isn't adjusted properly.

Incidentally I saw the hit and it went off the catcher and caught the PU square in the mask. I don't think it hit his collar bone.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

He got two shots and as we all know, a second shot on the same bone as the first one and you're ready to leave the ground and not land. And if he took two shots on the clavicle with a ribbed protector, then I can easily understand it. Also, that part of the mask gives you a pretty good jaw shot, which is always a pretty good bell ringer.

And your mask should be so loose that it spins or completely comes off on any indirect shot. You only want to absorb the direct ones.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
He got two shots and as we all know, a second shot on the same bone as the first one and you're ready to leave the ground and not land. And if he took two shots on the clavicle with a ribbed protector, then I can easily understand it. Also, that part of the mask gives you a pretty good jaw shot, which is always a pretty good bell ringer.

And your mask should be so loose that it spins or completely comes off on any indirect shot. You only want to absorb the direct ones.
If he got hit in the collar bone he needs to either adjust his protector or buy a new one. If he was using the ribbed one then as they say "you get what you paid for."

IMO if your mask is loose a direct hit will get you twice first the ball and then the mask.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ahem ...

A large percentage of umpires would disagree with wearing it tightly.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Ahem ...

A large percentage of umpires would disagree with wearing it tightly.
I wear it so it stays in place. So it fits. So when I take it off my hat doesn't come off as well....... Like I said I've taken some nasty shots never had a problem.