The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

(Rather than hijack the Time Limit thread, I've started this new one.)

I wear a watch for my Men's ASA Slow Pitch leagues. Else how would I know exactly when game time is I also use it when I need to time the minute between half innings.

I can't find anywhere in the ASA Rule Book that states that umpires aren't supposed to wear a watch (as per the other thread). Am I missing something somewhere?

If we are not supposed to wear a watch, then how are we supposed to judge time for all of the instances that are required of us that are stated in the rule book? (should we count "one-one thousand, two-one thousand, etc.)

I've not worked NFHS yet, but are those umpires allowed to wear watches?
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
(Rather than hijack the Time Limit thread, I've started this new one.)

I wear a watch for my Men's ASA Slow Pitch leagues. Else how would I know exactly when game time is I also use it when I need to time the minute between half innings.

I can't find anywhere in the ASA Rule Book that states that umpires aren't supposed to wear a watch (as per the other thread). Am I missing something somewhere?

If we are not supposed to wear a watch, then how are we supposed to judge time for all of the instances that are required of us that are stated in the rule book? (should we count "one-one thousand, two-one thousand, etc.)

I've not worked NFHS yet, but are those umpires allowed to wear watches?
I'm not sure of NFHS's position, but GHSA, (NFHS) is a no.
I've never been told not to CARRY a watch, only not to WEAR one. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but if the association I am working for say's don't wear a watch, I don't wear one.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I did reply on the other thread; note the starting time and put the watch in your pocket. From the clinics and ASA National Schools I have attended, you are urged to not actually time one minute or 20 seconds, particularly not to stand there looking at a watch.

NFHS does specifically state in the Umpire manual "Jewelry, except for wedding bands and Medical-Alert bracelets and necklaces, shall not be worn." No, it doesn't say watches specifically, but you wouldn't let a player wear a watch, and you would cite the jewelry rule.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Each year we are issued an "Officials Handbook" by the Ohio High School Athletic Association. It has the requirements for officials in all varsity sports, such as what permits are required, qualifications for officiating different levels (middle school, high school, JV, varsity), qualifications for officiating state playoff games and proper uniform requirements.

Neither baseball nor softball uses a clock in Ohio. Oddly, the "Officials Handbook" allows watches for softball umpires, but forbids them for baseball umpires. I adhere the guidelines for whichever sport I am calling.

One summer league that I umpire in is not "officially" affiliated with any governing body, though it does use modified FED rules. We have a bit more leeway on uniforms. For instance, in two-man games the umpires might be wearing dark blue, light blue, red, tan or black shirts, depending on which shirts the guys bring to the game. However, they both must match.

Since there is no official affiliation, I have been wearing a plain black "sports watch" since this league uses time limits in all their games.

Last week, I took a foul ball directly on the wrist, and it squarley hit my "shock proof" watch.

Much to my surprise, when I glanced at it when nearing the time limit, its display was flashing all zeros! My first though was that the stopwatch had been activated, but it turned out that the foul ball must have momentarily jarred the battery loose and reset the display.

Luckily, the inning ended and the time limit didn't come into play.

[Edited by BretMan on Jul 21st, 2005 at 03:26 PM]
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I feel that we, as umpires, should adhere to the same standards we hold the players to. You wouldn't let them wear a watch, so don't wear one yourself. Keep it in a pocket or ball bag (for pete's sake, most people have 2 of them, what are you doing with all that space). I need a watch for one thing and one thing only 99.5% of the time, and that is to tell when the game starts and is over due to time limit. In the 4 years I have called, I have put a pitcher on the clock only one time for her minute in between innings because she was taking closer to 1.5 to 2 minutes. Unless it's painfully obvious it's over a minute, or 20 seconds to deliver a pitch, I'm not timing anything, so therefore, no need to have my watch out.

-Josh
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I agree - Don't wear the watch put in your pocket or ball bag.

I do Adult SP and there are no jewelry rules so many players actually wear a watch while playing. The players are constantly asking how much time left, so after about the third or fourth inning I pull my watch out of my pocket at each half inning and let both teams know how much time is left.

Everything else I can count in my head.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Travis,
Tell 'em to buy their own watches.

Tell 'em to buy their own freakin indicators, too.

I usually have a timepiece on the field. I use the ball bags with the zippered pocket on the backside, so my timepiece stays with my billfold and keys. I am an absolute bear when it comes to jewelry issues in youth ball, and I'll be damned if I will tell them they can't wear the little piercings they got at the mall during their two game break, while I am wearing a watch.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Just ditto to what has already been said. Dont wear one. As far as keeping time between innings, do ya REALLY need a watch to do that? I dont think so.... but hey..I could be wrong....
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

I wear a watch in every game, FP or SP. Nobody has ever said anything about it.

Before one tournament, the ASA UIC asked us specifically not to wear watches, so we complied.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

WHY do you wear it? would you let players wear one?...I was (properly) taught from day one NOT to wear one..for FP we have the timers..for SP put a watch in your pocket..much more professional (IMHO)
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I wore a watch for so many years it was an automatic part of my dress. But I would forget to remove it for ball games and I had three watches ruined after being hit. The last one shattered into multiple pieces, leaving a significant gash on my arm (blood all over me). We had to stop the game and call out the trainer to patch up the umpire.

So I bought a pocket watch. I like it so well that I seldom wear a wrist watch anymore. And I hang a kitchen timer on the fence for timed games.

WMB
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

wearing a watch

In the ASA games that I work, we use a timer and put it on the screen on the right side of the plate. The coaches are allowed to look at timer to see how much time is left in the game.

ump mac
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a cheap watch and wear it on the right temple guard of my face mask. Therefore, it is not a problem, and the time is right there at hand.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

From the instructions e-mailed to me for this coming weekend's 14u tournament:

During seed and single elimination games, the umpire's watch is the official time. Please remember to note the starting time in your scorebook.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BretMan
[B]Each year we are issued an "Officials Handbook" by the Ohio High School Athletic Association.

Hi-Jacking somewhat,

Brett, You familiar with the Ohio ICE?....Had them this weekend.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.