The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Im sure a silly question...but is there a 'protocol' on the PU wearing sunglasses? Presciption or not amke a difference? I know its common on BUs but I dont recall specificially seeing a PU wear them.

Reason I ask is, I wear tinted and clear presciption lenses (yea, I know, no 'big time' for me ) and thought about it for very sunny days, but dont want to violate any unwritten rules.....

TIA!
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I have worn prescription sunglasses when working the plate, for every game but one this year. No one has ever said anything to me about it and I have worked some games with some of the senior umpires in my association.

I tend to always where my sunglasses on sunny days. It just seems to help me see better and cuts down on the glare (since my glasses are polarized). It just seems natural to wear them behind the plate when I definitely want to see as good as I can.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Cool

I always wear sunglasses behind the plate when the sun is out.

I donÂ’t wear prescription glasses (yet). I wear polarized, glass lens models that fit close to my face. I also chose a model that folds up fairly flat, so that they fit cleanly into my pocket if the sun goes down before the game is over.

Not only do they protect you from the sun, but dirt bouncing up from the ball hitting in front of the plate. ItÂ’s amazing how far back that dirt flys.

Nick
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Perscription sunglasses - surely okay

There was a time not to long ago - 15 years ago, that sunglasses were a complete no-no. I recall being instructed and seeing others chastised for wearing non-perscription lenses at a National ASA clinic. Then ball players started wearing those flip up things... then the major league umpires... now everybody wears them.

I think perhaps we have become more tolerant because we have become more aware of the deleterious effects of cumulative sunshine - prevent cataracts, wear sunglasses.

This year I've broken down and have worn sunglasses several times on the bases. I haven't ventured behind the plate with sunglasses but many times I have worn safety glasses to keep the wind and dust out of my eyes - safety glasses are a solid part of my personal protective equipment. (Foam ear plugs can be particulary beneficial for cutting the drumming wind noise on those nasty days too.)

I would still recommend that you have them OFF during your pregame meeting with the coaches and captains so you can make unimpeded eye contact during those conversations - well not if they are prescription!
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Are there any rules prohibiting the pitcher from wearing sunglasses?
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding the pitcher wearing sunglasses, I am not sure. It wouldn't seem "right", but I don't have anything to back me up.

When I am umpiring on sunny days, I always wear my sunglasses behind the plate. If people think it affects how you see things, then why do people wear sunglasses when they drive their cars?

Also, when I'm playing afternoon games I wear them for the whole game, whether I am in the field or at bat. Most teammates will wear them on defense, but then take them off to hit. I don't like this, as I am constantly at the same level of brightness if I keep them on. If I am pitching, I take off everything though... ie - sunglasses, wristbands, etc...
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Baseball_North

When I am umpiring on sunny days, I always wear my sunglasses behind the plate. If people think it affects how you see things, then why do people wear sunglasses when they drive their cars?

You have sunlight in Canada?
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Not very often, we usually play in the snow.

It gets slippery at times.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

I have always worn sunglaases on the bases in the daytime, but had never done so behind the plate until last year, when I did a HS game at a school I had never been to. As the sun set, it set in left center field, closer to center than left, and seeing the ball out of the pitcher's hand was a real chore. I was very uncomfortable. There is another field I work at fairly regular where the sun sets directly on the left field foul pole. I have had some fair/foul and foul/HR calls there that were very difficult. In fact, at this field I go over this situation in pre-game if the sun will be anywhere near to setting by the time the game ends. Now, I wear sunglasses behind the plate fairly routinely if I think it will help me see the ball.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

I wear them all the time on bright sunny days... I didnt even realize there was some stigma attached to it. I squint when its bright if I dont have them on. I see no prob with it.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

As long as the glasses don't reflect or have a funny tint that would distract the batter or pitcher anyone can were sunglasses. My problem is finding a good comfortable pair that fits under my mask. Any ideas out there?
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Right now in Canada we have sun from about 5am to 9pm

Old Tue May 25, 2004, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mi-Umpire
As long as the glasses don't reflect or have a funny tint that would distract the batter or pitcher anyone can were sunglasses. My problem is finding a good comfortable pair that fits under my mask. Any ideas out there?
I use polorized goggles. The same type motorcyclists use. The strap fits under my hat and they have never come off while removing my mask. The are so comfortable the tricky part is remembering to remove them for any chats with the coaches or players.

One negative thing about wearing sun glasses is, you loose eye contact with your partner.

Michael
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

well, based on the excellent feedback I wore sunglasses behind the plate for the first game of a DH yesterday. I didn't catch any negative comments, so it must have been OK Certainly helped me a great deal! All is well....
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 09:00am
Do not give a damn!!

I personally do not think you should wear them, but if that is what floats your boat, who am I to tell you not to wear them. Major League Umpires wear them.

I just think that we already get comments about what we see, why give them one more thing to rip us about? But that is me.

Peace