Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 02:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
and there is a particularly obnoxious parent, usually a mother, in the stands and a kid reacts or looks and I can tell the batter or catcher (if I am working the plate) or fielder (if I am in the field) is related. I will casually ask if there is a relation ("Is that your mom/dad?") and if they reply affirmatively, I respond with; "Do you want me to throw them out?" This is more fun with the 13/14 year olds (the parents are usually more obnoxious and vocal at those ages) and the players more gullible. They usually ask me "Will you? or Can you?".
I was working a youth football game last year where something similar happened. The visiting team was getting beaten pretty badly and the home team just scored another touchdown. As we're lining up for the extra point, I hear a tirade of foul language coming from a coach on the visiting team's sideline. The wing official on that side throws his flag and ejects the coach. While the white hat and wing are taking care of the ejection and ensuring the coach leaves, I am over with the two teams.

A player from the visiting team asks me "Did that coach get ejected?" I told the player that the coach had been ejected and we'll get going again in just a second. The player then looks at the ground and says in a quiet voice "That's my dad. He's done this before." I'll never forget the look on that kid's face and the embarassment in his voice.