Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe

Quote:
"Umpiring doesn't pay that much."
True, but don't take such a simplistic view.

At my place in life money is really more of a function of score keeping rather than value.

While umpiring may not "pay that much" it does allow me to buy items that otherwise might not be of a high enough 'need' to be purchased:

Say a second plasma flat screen for my bedroom. Is it 'needed', obviously not, but when purchased with "mad money" it is a simple decision to make.

Regards,
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Why do I umpire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
I umpire for the game.
If you see the quote in my signature block, I think it says where my allegiances lie. I am in Tee's corner on this one. The GAME is the only reason I show up. Hell, the money is just a plus so the wife lets me go out and play.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 10:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The best quote I ever read on this is:
Quote:
I don't do it for the money, but I wouldn't do it for free, either.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
...the wife lets me go out and play.
Your wife lets you keep the money

I pretty much get mugged as soon as I walk in the door. Now that my wife has figured out how to use Arbiter she sees how much I'll be making and makes plans for that cash as soon as the game is assigned.

But seriously, I too do it for my love of the game and my passion for umpiring. I wouldn't do it for free, god bless those who do, but I'd never get in a situation where I found myself depending on my umpiring income. Once you depend on it for the money it becomes a job, I already have one of those; this is my hobby. I think of it like fishing or any other hobby while there's some work involved the intrinsic reward is so much greater.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

No, she does not.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump View Post
Your wife lets you keep the money?
I get to buy gear and gas and she gets the rest. I am okay with that. I have an all female household now that my son has moved out.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I make enough to buy new gear and uniforms when I need them with a little left over, so that's enough for me.

But mainly I do it because I'm pretty good at it (I think), I want to get better, and I have a lot of fun.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
hmmm...

I got into it because I couldn't stand idly by while 'daddy umps' (untaught, unskilled, biased, mal-equipped spectators coerced into officiating because no one else will do it) butchered the game.

I remain in it because 'the game' has given me a view otherwise unavailable, the mad money which pays for petrol, gear and other tools of the trade, power ( I have a voice in decision making now) and additional credibility my training and experience level affords me.

Take away the mad money and I would probably do much fewer games.

FWIW
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6 View Post
Umpiring doesn't pay that much.
Compared to "other' part time jobs it pays more.

Example: We all live in different parts of the country but here in NY we get $60.00 game on average to do a 7 inning game

Let's say you have a double dip which I believe most of get each and every weekend even during Fall ball.

Yes you have those marathons sometimes but by and large the games average between 2 2:15 with a 20 minute change-over

So for 5 hours you receive $120.00 or whatever the rate is in your area. $120/5 = $24/hour.

Not bad for a "part-time' job.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Compared to "other' part time jobs it pays more.

Example: We all live in different parts of the country but here in NY we get $60.00 game on average to do a 7 inning game

Let's say you have a double dip which I believe most of get each and every weekend even during Fall ball.

Yes you have those marathons sometimes but by and large the games average between 2 2:15 with a 20 minute change-over

So for 5 hours you receive $120.00 or whatever the rate is in your area. $120/5 = $24/hour.

Not bad for a "part-time' job.

Pete Booth
Exactly Pete, add to this we can work when we want as well as the sheer enjoyment of it. If you took a part time position elsewhere you wouldn't get the opportunity to block out dates you cant work in arbiter or which ever other system, and I guarantee you would be hard pressed to find anything nearly as enjoyable.