The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Little League-type games are supposed to be for the kids' enjoyment, and not so much about the money, coaches, parents, etc. Different baseball leagues have different goals, but I don't think one type of baseball should be considered inferior to any others.

Last edited by canadaump6; Tue Sep 16, 2008 at 04:51pm.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Not a sentiment shared by me. Little League-type games are supposed to be for the kids' enjoyment, and not so much about the money, coaches, parents, etc. Different baseball leagues have different goals, but I don't think one type of baseball should be considered inferior to any others.

I do

griff

American by birth...Christian by choice.....

NRA life member
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 02:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6 View Post
Little League-type games are supposed to be for the kids' enjoyment, and not so much about the money, coaches, parents, etc. Different baseball leagues have different goals, but I don't think one type of baseball should be considered inferior to any others.
It's a great concept, but the reality is that the parents, coaches and fans make it more about them than about the kids anyway. The antics of some of the parents are appalling. I've actually had kids turn around and ask if I could please throw their mother out of the stands because she was embarrassing them. The coaches and parents apparently care more about wins and losses than if the kid's are having fun. Sometimes you would think the world was about to come to an end when their little Johnny's team loses.

If it's really all about the kids, then the adults around them wouldn't act so much like little kids themselves, and make it all about the kids' enjoyment.

That's why high school ball is different. At that level and up, nobody is pretending that it's "all about the kids." Everyone knows that it's serious business and that winning is the key thing. To quote the late, great Vince Lombardi, winning isn't everything...it's the only thing.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
It's a great concept, but the reality is that the parents, coaches and fans make it more about them than about the kids anyway. The antics of some of the parents are appalling. I've actually had kids turn around and ask if I could please throw their mother out of the stands because she was embarrassing them. The coaches and parents apparently care more about wins and losses than if the kid's are having fun. Sometimes you would think the world was about to come to an end when their little Johnny's team loses.

If it's really all about the kids, then the adults around them wouldn't act so much like little kids themselves, and make it all about the kids' enjoyment.

That's why high school ball is different. At that level and up, nobody is pretending that it's "all about the kids." Everyone knows that it's serious business and that winning is the key thing. To quote the late, great Vince Lombardi, winning isn't everything...it's the only thing.
This is exactly why when my son played LL, I and my wife retreated to the outfield fence. We did not want to be part of all that BS! I could not believe how some of the parents acted in the stands. It was as if their kid had a multi-million dollar contract riding on the line!

As my son got into HS ball, I found that I still had to watch from the outfield as these nut case parents were now watching their kids compete in HS ball! My only salvation was that a lot of my old "outfield acquaintances" still were with me at this level.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

In some games I call....

and there is a particularly obnoxious parent, usually a mother, in the stands and a kid reacts or looks and I can tell the batter or catcher (if I am working the plate) or fielder (if I am in the field) is related. I will casually ask if there is a relation ("Is that your mom/dad?") and if they reply affirmatively, I respond with; "Do you want me to throw them out?" This is more fun with the 13/14 year olds (the parents are usually more obnoxious and vocal at those ages) and the players more gullible. They usually ask me "Will you? or Can you?".
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 02:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
and there is a particularly obnoxious parent, usually a mother, in the stands and a kid reacts or looks and I can tell the batter or catcher (if I am working the plate) or fielder (if I am in the field) is related. I will casually ask if there is a relation ("Is that your mom/dad?") and if they reply affirmatively, I respond with; "Do you want me to throw them out?" This is more fun with the 13/14 year olds (the parents are usually more obnoxious and vocal at those ages) and the players more gullible. They usually ask me "Will you? or Can you?".
I was working a youth football game last year where something similar happened. The visiting team was getting beaten pretty badly and the home team just scored another touchdown. As we're lining up for the extra point, I hear a tirade of foul language coming from a coach on the visiting team's sideline. The wing official on that side throws his flag and ejects the coach. While the white hat and wing are taking care of the ejection and ensuring the coach leaves, I am over with the two teams.

A player from the visiting team asks me "Did that coach get ejected?" I told the player that the coach had been ejected and we'll get going again in just a second. The player then looks at the ground and says in a quiet voice "That's my dad. He's done this before." I'll never forget the look on that kid's face and the embarassment in his voice.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

If you really want the kids to have fun, tell the parents to pick up the kids after the game.

Oh if I were King.....

griff

NRA life member
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 06:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff901c View Post
If you really want the kids to have fun, tell the parents to pick up the kids after the game.

Oh if I were King.....

griff
Like both Tom Petty and Mel Brooks once said, "it's good to be (the) King!"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

So back to oyaissee's signature, it's not the sentiment he expressed that is the problem, it's the hypocrisy so many parents show.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

No..... That's not it at all.... I can tell by the arrogance displayed by post after post on here..... Lot's of "Umpires" think they are bigger than the game.... I just think one needs to re-evaluate just what they are doing..... and why!

It's a new game... with new characters..... and lots of "umpires" that are stuck in the past..... where Wally and the Beaver lived......
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

Quote:
"No..... That's not it at all.... I can tell by the arrogance displayed by post after post on here..... Lot's of "Umpires" think they are bigger than the game.... I just think one needs to re-evaluate just what they are doing..... and why!

"It's a new game... with new characters..... and lots of "umpires" that are stuck in the past..... where Wally and the Beaver lived...... "
First, I don't exactly 'get' your point.

I umpire for power and money. I have said that over and over.

I do not, nor have I ever, umpired "for the kids." I umpire for the game.

Umpires, in my neck of the woods, attempt to make sure there is simply a level playing field for all participants. And if players and coaches didn't lie and cheat you wouldn't even need officials.

Now I have no idea what you mean when you say it is a: 'new game . . . with new characters' . . . last I looked there were still nine (or ten) players for each team on a diamond with 90' bases and a pitcher's plate 60' 6" from home plate. There seems to be a whole lot of very fine umpires here that think it is you that may be in the wrong.

If you want to join in with Canadaump6 and hold hands and give group hugs that is fine FOR YOU. For me I will stick with the game as it has always been played.

Regards,
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Everyone has a different reason why they gear up.

My mission is to make my local LL the best possible. As UIC, it's my job to see the umpires, administrators AND coaches are as educated and skilled as I can make them. Through rules knowledge and situational awareness, I can prepare the league for game days to the best of my ability.

We're not a big league, but we have won a lot of titles lately. We won the consolation game against the Japanese in 2005, and a state title in 2007. We're now competitive at every level. I've sent a bunch of kids, for free, to the one week school in San Bernadino. I turn away umpires, and send them to other leagues. I put four man, volunteer crews on regular season games. I put a TON of my umpires in post season games. (That was my mission for this past season).

So, did I do it for the kids? Partly. But mostly for the local league and myself. I take a lot of pride in what we've done over the past few years.

Back to the OP (imagine that!). I'd get the bucket sitter in the dugout, and have a short conversation with my partner. I'm a pretty forceful fellow when I need to be, and this wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by kylejt; Sat Sep 20, 2008 at 12:35pm.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyaisee View Post
No... [......clipped....] It's a new game... with new characters..... and lots of "umpires" that are stuck in the past..... where Wally and the Beaver lived......
What does this mean, exactly (somehow, I feel I will regret asking this)?

What do you think you know about anyone on this or any other board?

I have a feeling the answer is the same for both questions - nothing.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

SanDiegoSteve.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyaisee View Post
No..... That's not it at all.... I can tell by the arrogance displayed by post after post on here..... Lot's of "Umpires" think they are bigger than the game.... I just think one needs to re-evaluate just what they are doing..... and why!

It's a new game... with new characters..... and lots of "umpires" that are stuck in the past..... where Wally and the Beaver lived......
SDS...would you lead is in the "new game theme song"....

CUMBUYA.....and I'll get the marshmallows from Mrs. Cleaver......this is gonna be swell!

griff

NRA life member
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
I umpire for power and money.
Umpiring doesn't pay that much.