The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 07:19pm

Ted Barrett nailed with thrown ball

2nd base umpire Ted Barrett was just hit with a thrown ball from Padres catcher Nick Hundley in the Padres/Bucs game. It was on a bunt attempt which Hundley pounced on quickly and fired toward 2nd. The throw was just a little to the 3rd base side of the base, and would have resulted in a force at 2nd. Barrett started out in deep B position and was trying to cross over to the SS side of the base to get in a better position when Hundley surprised him with a quicker-than-expected throw. This caused R1 and R2 to both be safe on the play.

Wouldn't it have been better for him to just stay on the side of the diamond that he started on, instead of trying to be slick and crossing over, then interfering in this way? Fortunately, his blunder did not affect the outcome of the inning, as the side was then retired with the next batter.

This is the first time I've ever seen this one.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,

I was shocked to see this. It was clear that a bunt was going to be attempted, so why in the world would you start in deep B if you intend on moving to deep C to make the call at second? Watching the Bucs broadcast, the announcers had a good time with this one. Bob Walk could not remember having ever seen this.

Barrett was damn lucky that the throw wasn't higher (the freeze frame showed the ball hitting him in the ribs). The worst part for the catcher was that he was charged with an error on the play.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Fortunately he is not hurt. That's the main thing.

Why would he be working to the first base side of 2nd in a four man system in the first place? I prefer the angle on the steal and pickoff from the third base side.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 10:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Why would he be working to the first base side of 2nd in a four man system in the first place?
Because that's the proscribed mechanic with R1 in the four-man system.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 10:27pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Because that's the proscribed mechanic with R1 in the four-man system.
Then how come each and every pro umpire doesn't work deep "B"? I've seen some in deep "C".
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Is it so F6 won't loose sight of the ball coming from F2 on a steal? That's the only reason I can think of, because C gets you the best view of the tag.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 11:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Then how come each and every pro umpire doesn't work deep "B"? I've seen some in deep "C".
Maybe it's a preference thing. I like the view from C myself, but I've had people argue B to me. I think the reasoning behind B is that the shortstop won't screen you from seeing the tag.

Also, the handedness of the batter, or where his tendencies to hit the ball are, can influence where an umpire might prefer to stand.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Maybe it's a preference thing. I like the view from C myself, but I've had people argue B to me. I think the reasoning behind B is that the shortstop won't screen you from seeing the tag.

Also, the handedness of the batter, or where his tendencies to hit the ball are, can influence where an umpire might prefer to stand.
B is better for swipe tags behind when the throw goes to the second base side.

I like B in 3-man and 4-man.