Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
Brian,

Fairchild did exactly what probably every other AAA fill in did (not including Drake or Gooch since they're pretty much full timers anyways). As Pinella came out onto the field to argue the check swing, Fairchild put the stop sign up and told Pinella to "Don't come out here". While Pinella stopped, he continued to pop off and get in a couple more shots, Drake decided he had heard enough and took the EJ for Fairchild.
What, does the MLB assign guardian angels for the minor leaguers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
Considering the status of Fairchild and Pinella, I think Fairchild handled it about as good as you can considering if he would have dumped Pinella from long distance, Pinella would have created a major scene.
So a major league umpire, with every reason to dump, decides not to because he is afraid?
If that's true he's may be qualified for LL duty, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
Fairchild did what MLB wants him to do and that is "try" to keep him in the game if possible. Drake, on the other hand, saw that Pinella was taking advantage of a younger AAA fill-in, stuck up for his partner and took the EJ himself.

That may be OK in LL. The seasoned umpire taking up for the fragile 13 yr old on the bases that's getting an earful from a daddy coach, but I don't see it here.
Ever hear of "trial by fire" or "experience is the best teacher" or "learn by your mistakes"?
Fairchild is a seasoned umpire, I doubt he needs protecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
As the plate umpire, when you ask for help on a check swing, you do not allow a team to go after your partner because they didn't agree with his decision. Drake did exactly what any "umpire's umpire" would do and that is stick up for his partner.

Once Drake allowed Pinnella on the field and at best, once Fairchild interacted with Pinnella, it was out of Drake's hands.
Now it's between Chad and Lou and Drake is out of the pic.
If Drake wanted to stick up for his partner he should have stopped Lou before Chad had to.
And I think that's what Brian was saying as well.
Not that I'm trying to protect him or anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
While it may have not looked pretty, it was the right thing to do and that is ANOTHER example of why Drake will be the next full time MLB umpire. Could Fairchild have dumped Pinella...yes, Should Fairchild have dumped Pinella... maybe but talking about it in the lockeroom, Fairchild probably thanked Drake for taking the bullet for him. That is what umpires do for each other.

Why would Drake making the ejection be considered taking a bullet?

If I was U1 and had successfully turned Pinnella away without much effort at all and then PU ejects, as you allude to, on my behalf, I'd be peeved.
I don't think I'd be thanking him in the locker room. Rather, we may be adding ejection ettiquette(sp) to the pre game.

Last edited by CO ump; Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 03:14pm.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
What, does the MLB assign guardian angels for the minor leaguers?

So a major league umpire, with every reason to dump, decides not to because he is afraid?
If that's true he's may be qualified for LL duty, but I doubt it.

(blah, blah, blah, edited)

All of this wisdom, no doubt, comes from your many years of MLB experience.

What a crock.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...lb_1&mode=wrap

The ejection happens at the start of this recap. I think the video we see of Lou at the start is what he yelled right before the boot. Then, I think, we see it from a different angle.

That's F***ing Sh*t is what he said...REMARKABLE that the 1B Umpire did not run him.

Joe
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

So I went and looked at this and Drake is clearly wrong here. The swearing happens after the ejection. Fairchild seems to be the fellow who knows that 9.02c is in effect and Drake doesn't.
________
Bubbler pipe

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:16pm.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:56pm

Quote:
Fairchild is a seasoned umpire, I doubt he needs protecting.
Which season was that? A little more salt and pepper please!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
All of this wisdom, no doubt, comes from your many years of MLB experience.

What a crock.
There's 34 other posts on this subject including yours. How many years of experience at the MLB level do you think there is in total from all these posters?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'm guessing you didn't understand my premise.

I wasn't accusing Fairchild of not being a good umpire. I was responding to UES who made many suppositions.
1. He didn't eject because he was afraid of the major scene Lou would have made.
I doubt that was his reason, but IF it was.....
2. Fairchild was thankful that Drake took the bullett
I doubt that he was, and I explained why. Do you disagree?
3. It was Drake's responsibility to protect his crew member on a check swing call
Maybe, but he waited way to long to start protecting IMO and it made Fairchild look weak, and I don't think he appreciated it. I know I wouldn't and I explained why.

Disagreeing with an opinion is one thing, calling it a crock seems ignorant.

MLB aside. I have 2 questions for you

1. How many times as U1 have you required, needed or wanted PU to rescue you and take over for you in a dicussion with a coach pre-ejection?

2. How many times have you inserted yourself into another seasoned umps discussion and taken over?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Very good point. I also think an umpire follwing a manager to the dugout looks a little weird.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Guys, none of us was there so we don't know exactly what happened. Absent the report to the league office, we will never know. All this is pure speculation. I have another take on this, having watched the video several times. What if it went down like this.

1) Drake asks for help
2) Fairchild gives it
3) Lou comes out to Fairchild
4) Fairchild says, " Lou we aren't going there today"
5) Lou starts to walk back to dugout
6) While facing Drake, Lou say's something like "And you are Bovine Excrement too, Drake, you F'ing hippy, how could both you blind idiots miss that?"

Just thinking outloud here......

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 05:35pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
So I went and looked at this and Drake is clearly wrong here. The swearing happens after the ejection. Fairchild seems to be the fellow who knows that 9.02c is in effect and Drake doesn't.
What does that have to do with ejecting a manager?

I read that this is Pinella's first ejection of the year! He must be mellowing out a bit.

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 05:39pm.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Scenario revised:

6) While turning toward the dugout, Lou say's something like "And you are Bovine Excrement too, Drake, you F'ing hippy, how could both you blind idiots miss that?"

Let's not hair split.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That may be OK in LL. The seasoned umpire taking up for the fragile 13 yr old on the bases that's getting an earful from a daddy coach, but I don't see it here.
[B]I'll[B] take issue with that. If any manager came out of the dugout to argue a check swing, every one of my 13 year LL umpires would dump him in a heartbeat. They just got back from the weeklong in San Beradino, and are itching to have someone put one toe over the line.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 06:10pm

Again I ask, WHAT SEASON did Chad Fairchild become a SEASONED umpire? He's a AAA umpire, so where has he gotten the tag, "seasoned," from?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Again I ask, WHAT SEASON did Chad Fairchild become a SEASONED umpire? He's a AAA umpire, so where has he gotten the tag, "seasoned," from?
I believe it was 2005, on a flight to Denver, he got some extra oregano on his pasta primavera.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Scenario revised:

6) While turning toward the dugout, Lou say's something like "And you are Bovine Excrement too, Drake, you F'ing hippy, how could both you blind idiots miss that?"

Let's not hair split.
I agree with Mr. Patrino - I think Lou made a personal remark directed at Chad and/or Drake after he turned back towards the dugout and because Drake was in close proximity, he heard it and dumped him immediately. Usually, it doesn't look good when a coach gets ejected as he's walking away - but I'll bet that Drake was thinking "Screw it, Pinella shouldn't have been out here in the first place - I heard him say it so I'll still run him even if he is walking away".

One thing to remember is long distance arguments and ejections are not good. Chad warned him to not come out any further and thus, giving him a chance to stay in the game. As Bob Patrino said, Lou probably had to get one more shot in and like the true gutless rat that he is, he did it as he was walking away. Drake heard it and promptly ejected him. All and all, a fairly routine ejection and since it's Pinella's first EJ, he probably got a "mulligan" from the league. Tomorrow's another day....

Now about the hair, I agree with Mr. Hickman - Drake needs to get rid of the mullet. The lettuce is getting pretty thick

Last edited by UES; Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 07:04pm.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Egads, Matt!!! Oregano on pasta primavera?? You need more seasoning training!!..LOL

-----------------------