The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Crafty cheating coach

I pulled this from "hit2win.com"

The situation is that the offensive team has two or three runners on the bases. Like in most cases the three runners have varying running speeds. The defensive team has called a time out so that the coach can go out to talk to his pitcher. The 3rd base coach calls his runners over for a conference. The coach that will cheat will decide where he needs the speed the most and will move fast runners in front of slow runners to give his team an advantage. To prevent this from happening to you make sure to have your score bookkeeper check the locations of all runners after runners have had conferences with their base coach.

If discovered:

• Is this an appeal play only?
• What is the call?

Side note/question. (not a question on the rule but about how to deal with the coach that tries it) I run a medium size youth league. (about 1400 players, ages 6 through 18, baseball and softball.) If I caught a coach pulling this little trick I think I would kick him/her out of the league

I don't post much on this forum (because I'm new and learn more just by reading) but, I am just as interested in your opinions on how to deal with a coach like this as I am in the rule on making the call.

Thanks
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
If I see it happen I'm going to be calling one or more runners out for passing a proceeding runner once the ball is put back into play.........

Tim.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Depends

Has the coach been a pain in the arse? If so maybe Tim's solution is best. Otherwise, hold up play and return the runners to their proper positions. Interject sarcasm as you see fit. I'd also let the coach know that I didn't subscribe to his views on sportsmanship.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Specific FED case / interp on this: Call one runner out for passing the other. Call another runner out fro running the bases in reverse. Eject the coach for unsporting behavior.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Crafty? I consider legally using the rules for your advantage as crafty (IE a coach knowingly letting an improper batter to reach base instead of while he is still at bat). Plain old cheating is ridiculous, teaches bad things to the players and promotes horrible sportsmanship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Specific FED case / interp on this: Call one runner out for passing the other. Call another runner out fro running the bases in reverse. Eject the coach for unsporting behavior.
Can't argue with the official interpretation

-Josh
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Bob J nailed it...at least 2 outs, and the coach is gone.....
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
If I see it happen I'm going to be calling one or more runners out for passing a proceeding runner once the ball is put back into play.........

Tim.
Good explination but you left out a small detail, Tim. We are going to dump the coach on general principle, also!
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
out, out, dump coach, be ready for a sh!thouse.

Hopefully you catch that the coach wants to do this before he actually does it so you can prevent this all, but unless you have a U3, it seems unlikely. Far different then a previous thread that had a coach leaving a runner on 3rd who didn't belong. No way we are going to immediately be able to tell who should be where.

Hopefully, we see it before its too late. Most good umpires would...
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
out, out, dump coach...
Out, out, brief candle...
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I think my favorite part would be putting the ball in play, THEN calling TIME! right away. Then you get to pull out the revolver, get three, blow the smoke off the barrel, and reholster it, ala Mr. Luciano. Pow! Pow! Thumb.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 11:21am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
I think my favorite part would be putting the ball in play, THEN calling TIME! right away. Then you get to pull out the revolver, get three, blow the smoke off the barrel, and reholster it, ala Mr. Luciano. Pow! Pow! Thumb.
Not to mention likely aftermath ejections. It could end up looking like the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Thanks all. Good advice.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
Crafty? I consider legally using the rules for your advantage as crafty (IE a coach knowingly letting an improper batter to reach base instead of while he is still at bat).
I would say a craftier move would be with R2 and R3 and an intentional walk situation, manager brings up his top slugger to take 3 balls towards an intentional walk, then bring up the proper batter to assume a 3-0 count.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I would say a craftier move would be with R2 and R3 and an intentional walk situation, manager brings up his top slugger to take 3 balls towards an intentional walk, then bring up the proper batter to assume a 3-0 count.
Not that crafty. The opposing coaching staff would need to be asleep to miss it. And if they're not asleep, then simply pitch it down the pipe. Appeal the BOO if the batter bites, and if he doesn't, you get a strike or two before they put the proper batter in.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
Not that crafty. The opposing coaching staff would need to be asleep to miss it. And if they're not asleep, then simply pitch it down the pipe. Appeal the BOO if the batter bites, and if he doesn't, you get a strike or two before they put the proper batter in.
I like that. Throw it in underhand.