The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Play

This happened in the Friday Texas A&M/Nebraska game: Runner on 1, either 0 or 1 out, pitch ruled a strike 3 to the batter. Runner stealing second and PU ruled batter interference with the catcher on the throw. I did a quick glance of the rules (I work football and hoops) and it appears there are certain situations where the runner is sent back to first and others where he is called out -- especially on a strikeout.

They sent him back to first and the coach filed a protest. I'm wondering when is what they did proper and when should they have called him out? Choppy video feed so I couldn't tell what happened with the batter or where he was.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
This happened in the Friday Texas A&M/Nebraska game: Runner on 1, either 0 or 1 out, pitch ruled a strike 3 to the batter. Runner stealing second and PU ruled batter interference with the catcher on the throw. I did a quick glance of the rules (I work football and hoops) and it appears there are certain situations where the runner is sent back to first and others where he is called out -- especially on a strikeout.

They sent him back to first and the coach filed a protest. I'm wondering when is what they did proper and when should they have called him out? Choppy video feed so I couldn't tell what happened with the batter or where he was.
I think he wins the protest. That should have been 2.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Does NCAA allow for "soft interference" by F2--on batter's backswing?

Ace in CT
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
Does NCAA allow for "soft interference" by F2--on batter's backswing?

Ace in CT
Yes. Usually called "weak" or "backswing" interference; of the 3 main codes, only FED lacks this provision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRD (270)
If a batter's follow-through hits the catcher "as the pitch is caught," it is a strike, the ball is dead, and no runners advance. It is not interference. (6-2d) If the batter's follow-through accidentally hits the catcher "while the catcher is in the act of throwing," it is a strike (but not interference) and the ball is dead unless the catcher's throw retires a runner. (6-2d-2) On a third strike, the ball is dead; the batter is out. (6-2d-1)
From this it seems that if the backswing hits the catcher "while in the act of throwing" R1 either goes back or is out. Interesting wrinkle.