The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

A 2/8 A45. A66 incidentally grasps the facemask of the rushing B77. A15's legal forward pass is intercepted by B44 and returned for a touchdown. Ruling???
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Ernie
A 2/8 A45. A66 incidentally grasps the facemask of the rushing B77. A15's legal forward pass is intercepted by B44 and returned for a touchdown. Ruling???
Doesn't seem too dificult, but maybe I'm missing something. If B accepts the penalty (which they won't), it's A 2/13 from A40. If B declines the penalty (which they will), it's TD for B.

Did I miss something?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: AlabamaBlue, I believe you're correct for Fed. But the NCAA ruling would be different.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Bob's right. Under NCAA rules, all offensive facemasks are 15yd personal fouls. Personal fouls by the opponents during a down in which a team scores a TD can carry over to the try or the succeeding kickoff.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: AlabamaBlue, I believe you're correct for Fed. But the NCAA ruling would be different.
Bob,I believe weÂ’ve discussed this before but I canÂ’t remember exactly how it works.
NF 8-2-2 says . . . “If during a touchdown-scoring play, a foul by the opponents of the scoring team occurs, the scoring team may accept the results of the play and have the penalty enforced from the succeeding spot“.
Would AÂ’s foul have to occur after the change of possession for B to have the penalty enforced on the try?
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil

Would AÂ’s foul have to occur after the change of possession for B to have the penalty enforced on the try?
No.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Middleman
Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil

No.
REPLY: Middleman, here's a play from the NFHS website. Their ruling changed during the first few weeks of the season. That's why the play is labeled "UPDATED." It seems to say very clearly that A's foul can be enforced from the succeeding spot only if it took place after the change of possession:

UPDATED SITUATION 15: "Team A snaps the ball from its own 3-yard line. While A1 is attempting a pass, A10 holds B9 in the end zone. The pass is intercepted by B2 and returned for a touchdown. RULING: Team B must decline the foul by Team A in order to keep the touchdown. Acceptance of the foul would result in a safety for Team A (award B two points), and A would then kick from the 20 yard line. As interpreted, the foul by A would have to be following the change of possession in order for the revised provisions of 8-2-2 to be in place."

Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Typical of the FED. Make a new rule (8-2-2), include a provision for special enforcement (10-5-1f), make its intent perfectly clear in the "Comments on the 2003 Rules Revisions" (pg. 73), ADD a casebook ruling (10.5.3 - item 9 on the very same web page), then contradict it with an "interpretation" that is completely contrary to intent AND is published and changed after the season starts. Is Dick Schindler back?

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... Make a new rule (8-2-2), ... then contradict it with an "interpretation" ...
The rules revisions for 2004 appear to have addressed this.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... Make a new rule (8-2-2), ... then contradict it with an "interpretation" ...
The rules revisions for 2004 appear to have addressed this. It is now clear by rule that the foul must occur after the change of possession (if there is one) in order to be carried over to the succeeding spot.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like I am not the only one having fun with boards and there way of interpreting something.

Boy, I feel lucky that we only play by NCAA here in Germany. How do you Guys keep up with all those differences in HS + NCAA rules?

You have my upmost respect for that.

ares