The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question Infield Fly??

R1, R2 - 1 out, JV game (Thankfully). Pop-up about 20 ft in front of home plate. Catcher calls it, pitcher gives him room, ball drops right between them. Neither was within 2 steps of the ball. We did not call infield fly and, as a result, both runners begin to advance. Defense completes the force out at 3rd.

1. Did we screw up? If so, is there a rule of thumb to simplify, such as "anything in front of the pitcher..." or "anything landing on the infield grass..."?

2. After the play, is there any way of reversing it? I know that a pop-up can be an infield fly, even if it is not called. However, since there was more action (Runners moving up and an out called), are we committed to the play as called?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.......
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, you blew it. That was an infield fly, since it was a fly ball that could have been caught with ordinary effort by an infielder. How much simpler does it have to be?

No umpire has to call this. The batter is out whether or not either umpire says a word, and whether or not anyone hears them. It's a live ball, so the runners are entitled to adavance at their own risk.

I had one like this on Thursday. It was a windy day, and the D-coach didn't hear us call infield fly. The ball dropped to the ground next to F5, and the runners began to advance. F5 picked up the ball and ran over to step on 3B, but since the batter was out it was not a force play.

The coach complained that I hadn't said anything. I told him that I had (and his catcher confirmed that), but that the batter's out anyway on an infield fly. Naturally his team hit an infield fly later in the game, and he heard me call that one.
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

No umpire has to call this. The batter is out whether or not either umpire says a word,

Maybe in FED - not in OBR.
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

According to the FED case book, both teams are responsible for knowing the status, and you can, and should, retroactively declare the infield fly. the batter is out and the rest of the play stands.

In OBR, since the defense got one out, the play stands.
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Well you did screw up as already posted but the result was the same, (possibly). R1, R2 , 2 outs.

If R2 was tag at third instead of the bag, you would of had 3 outs.

Anyway as already stated there was no force out at third, so you had two errors there.

Making mistakes is part of learning to become a good official.

Good Luck with the rest of the season.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If so, is there a rule of thumb to simplify, such as "anything in front of the pitcher..." or "anything landing on the infield grass..."?
Remember one thing. The IF is a rule to prevent the defense from making an easy DP.

Therefore, your rule of thimb is simple. If there is pop-up in the infield call the IF, because to do otherwise is practically given the defense 2 outs especially on 90 ft. bases. All the defense wuld have to do is throw to F5 and then either F4/F6 to get the easy DP.

Pete Booth
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdave
R1, R2 - 1 out, JV game (Thankfully). Pop-up about 20 ft in front of home plate. Catcher calls it, pitcher gives him room, ball drops right between them. Neither was within 2 steps of the ball. We did not call infield fly and, as a result, both runners begin to advance. Defense completes the force out at 3rd.

1. Did we screw up? If so, is there a rule of thumb to simplify, such as "anything in front of the pitcher..." or "anything landing on the infield grass..."?

2. After the play, is there any way of reversing it? I know that a pop-up can be an infield fly, even if it is not called. However, since there was more action (Runners moving up and an out called), are we committed to the play as called?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.......
I just wanted to add one addition note. If an infield fly is near or could become foul, the umpire should announce "Infield fly, if fair!" I know we have some crazy wind at times and a ball close to the middle of the infield can become a foul ball if hit high enough.

ljdave-

Did your partner and yourself signal the possible infield fly situation prior to the pitch? Most experienced umpires will give a subtle signal to their partner to indicate the situation when the batter comes to the plate. Some signals I've seen used are a pat of the chest with the number of outs or a tap of the hat's bill. It makes sure everyone knows the possible situation.

-Josh