The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Coaches Uniform

Question: under NFHS rules-can a coach wear a jacket over his uniform when weather is not cold-ie: its about 85 degrees here this time of the year
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:46am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tax man
Question: under NFHS rules-can a coach wear a jacket over his uniform when weather is not cold-ie: its about 85 degrees here this time of the year
You are kidding right?
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Huh?

Well, I had a game on Saturday and I glanced down at the 3rd base coaching box and there were two people in the box, one was in complete uniform and the other was not (shorts and tee shirt). I proceeded to walk down and I said ( to the casually attired one) , " i don't know who you are, but you need to get on the bench or in the stands". He was rather upset with that request.

So, the better question would be, how much lee-way do we allow in coach's attire?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

REI- not kidding-Independent School State playoffs-finals-there is one coach who has a Wal Mart pullover w/out sleeves & different colored undershirt & this is what he wears. FED rules says matching uniform but where is the line for the coach & wearing a jacket. Do we follow Colledge interp. & say no jacket without inclement weather
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Msavakinas-I'm with you-but it has already started- the 1st game is tommorrow & the one opposing coach is raising hell now. the AISA is asking for a rule stating exactly what he can & can't wear-understand about the matching uniforms- but theres really nothing particular about the coaches & a jacket. I say as long as he matches & his undershirt matches no problem except that its hot & hes wearing a jacket-he has a bigger problem than wearing a jacket
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

FED rules allow "JV players" arriving from their game to wear a different uniform (as long as it's not confusing). Apply the same logic to the coach and declare it an "alternative uniform"
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
FED rules allow "JV players" arriving from their game to wear a different uniform (as long as it's not confusing). Apply the same logic to the coach and declare it an "alternative uniform"
Bob,

I'm not so sure I would want to do that in a state playoff game. IMO it's not too much to ask for the coach to be properly attired (correct undershirt and team colored jacket should suffice). So long as he is wearing proper pants, hat & team undershirt the jacket just needs to be in a team color (I would be fairly flexible there).
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Huh?

Well, I had a game on Saturday and I glanced down at the 3rd base coaching box and there were two people in the box, one was in complete uniform and the other was not (shorts and tee shirt). I proceeded to walk down and I said ( to the casually attired one) , " i don't know who you are, but you need to get on the bench or in the stands". He was rather upset with that request.

So, the better question would be, how much lee-way do we allow in coach's attire?
I don't believe there is any rule against a coach wearing a jacket while in the coach's box. I don't believe that it is illegal unless he is not wearing the team colors.

Iowa addressed a similar situation this season. A coach is required to wear the full team uniform underneath his jacket (at the varsity level). In practicality though, I don't know too many umpires that are going to willingly strip search a coach prior to the game to find out if he has the proper attire below his jacket (unless the opposing coach starts squawking about it). As long as they look presentable and aren't making a fool of themselves or the school, I don't see a problem with a coach wearing a jacket when it's 95 degree with a 110 degree heat index.

-Josh
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 04:29pm
Stop staring at me swan.

we have better things to worry about...if you're working a high level game...(state tournament for example)...the tournament officials should be enforcing that stuff...not the field umpires. I know it's in the rules...but once I'm on the field, if he's presentable, wearing game pants...not shorts and sandals, I'll wait to enforce the rule until the other team says something or of he's being an idiot, then I'll enforce it. Until then...play on. Just stay away from the jean shorts, sandals, and Vaurnet tank top
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 04:43pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tax man
REI- not kidding-Independent School State playoffs-finals-there is one coach who has a Wal Mart pullover w/out sleeves & different colored undershirt & this is what he wears. FED rules says matching uniform but where is the line for the coach & wearing a jacket. Do we follow Colledge interp. & say no jacket without inclement weather
Well, you have to admit that your initial post led on to something TOTALLY different! We cannot stop a coach from wearing a jacket if he choose. WHAT he wears as a jacket is a whole other issue. You could have stated the above in your first post.

If the guy is wearing "athletic gear" on top in the schools colors, and baseball pants, that is about all I care about. Personally, I can't remember EVER seeing a coach in a state playoff game wear something other than the same uniform as the players wear and/or a "team jacket".

Maybe we are just sort of "high brow" here in Oregon.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Any of the coaches that I have dealt with over the years, wore the School's varsity jacket on the bases. Now the coach that RPatrino had (shorts and a tee shirt) would not remain in the box (as he did not allow). I don't care who he is, he is not going to be on the field in that attire!