Thread: Infield Fly??
View Single Post
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdave
R1, R2 - 1 out, JV game (Thankfully). Pop-up about 20 ft in front of home plate. Catcher calls it, pitcher gives him room, ball drops right between them. Neither was within 2 steps of the ball. We did not call infield fly and, as a result, both runners begin to advance. Defense completes the force out at 3rd.

1. Did we screw up? If so, is there a rule of thumb to simplify, such as "anything in front of the pitcher..." or "anything landing on the infield grass..."?

2. After the play, is there any way of reversing it? I know that a pop-up can be an infield fly, even if it is not called. However, since there was more action (Runners moving up and an out called), are we committed to the play as called?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.......
I just wanted to add one addition note. If an infield fly is near or could become foul, the umpire should announce "Infield fly, if fair!" I know we have some crazy wind at times and a ball close to the middle of the infield can become a foul ball if hit high enough.

ljdave-

Did your partner and yourself signal the possible infield fly situation prior to the pitch? Most experienced umpires will give a subtle signal to their partner to indicate the situation when the batter comes to the plate. Some signals I've seen used are a pat of the chest with the number of outs or a tap of the hat's bill. It makes sure everyone knows the possible situation.

-Josh