The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Please Help Me Clear These Up

First time poster, long time reader. I am going into coaching this year and wanted to clear up a few things I have taken note of so far in the MLB games I've watched this season.... I know MLB rules don't = the rules I will be coaching under, but for the most part they are common.

#1 - I saw an umpire call a "ball" twice on a pitcher for licking his fingers. The commentator mentioned he can't do this on the mound? Is this correct? Can he do it off the mound? I think the umpire was named Diaz.

#2 - Can an infield fly be called on a bunt that pops up high into the air?

#3 - Why do they always show the side TV angle on half-swings? Is it true that the bat has to cross the plate to be a strike on a check swing? I can't find a rule reference for this. What happens if a guy is way at the back of the box?

#4 - Does the pitcher have to have his entire foot on the pitching rubber or just part of it?

#5 - How far is the batters box away from the plate?

#6 - If a player hits the ball twice with his bat, is he out? Is it foul?

#7 - What happens if the runner runs out of that first baseline lane to avoid a first baseman attemting to catch an errant throw... but then the batter gets hit by the ball? Is it interference on the batter?

#8 - What is the process for appeals? It is common to see the pitcher set, step off, and throw to the base... but I can't find a reference for this either.

#9 - Do teams have to have a 1st base and 3rd base coach at all times?

Thanks a lot for some help. I want to make sure I am teaching my guys the correct rules.

I really appreciate any help.

Last edited by BigMurr; Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 08:49pm.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Rule books are available @ www.nfhs.com
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
First time poster, long time reader. I am going into coaching this year and wanted to clear up a few things I have taken note of so far in the MLB games I've watched this season.... I know MLB rules don't = the rules I will be coaching under, but for the most part they are common.

#1 - I saw an umpire call a "ball" twice on a pitcher for licking his fingers. The commentator mentioned he can't do this on the mound? Is this correct? Can he do it off the mound? I think the umpire was named Diaz. Can't lick on the mound. Can lick off the mound, but have to wipe after.

#2 - Can an infield fly be called on a bunt that pops up high into the air? there can never be an infield fly on a bunt.

#3 - Why do they always show the side TV angle on half-swings? Is it true that the bat has to cross the plate to be a strike on a check swing? I can't find a rule reference for this. What happens if a guy is way at the back of the box? they show the side angle because it's as close as they can get to what the base umpire is looking at. crossing the plate has nothing to do with it. the ruling is whether or not the batter committed to his swing in an attempt to hit the pitch.

#4 - Does the pitcher have to have his entire foot on the pitching rubber or just part of it? just part of it.

#5 - How far is the batters box away from the plate? 6 inches.

#6 - If a player hits the ball twice with his bat, is he out? Is it foul? if he is still in the box it is foul. if he is out of the box he is out.

#7 - What happens if the runner runs out of that first baseline lane to avoid a first baseman attemting to catch an errant throw... but then the batter gets hit by the ball? Is it interference on the batter? it must be a true throw. do not reward the defense for a bad throw.

#8 - What is the process for appeals? It is common to see the pitcher set, step off, and throw to the base... but I can't find a reference for this either. while the ball is in play the defense can appeal. the ball does not have to go back to the mound unless time has been called.

#9 - Do teams have to have a 1st base and 3rd base coach at all times? yes.

Thanks a lot for some help. I want to make sure I am teaching my guys the correct rules.

Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMurr

#1 - I saw an umpire call a "ball" twice on a pitcher for licking his fingers. The commentator mentioned he can't do this on the mound? Is this correct? Can he do it off the mound? I think the umpire was named Diaz.

#2 - Can an infield fly be called on a bunt that pops up high into the air?

#3 - Why do they always show the side TV angle on half-swings? Is it true that the bat has to cross the plate to be a strike on a check swing? I can't find a rule reference for this. What happens if a guy is way at the back of the box?

#4 - Does the pitcher have to have his entire foot on the pitching rubber or just part of it?

#5 - How far is the batters box away from the plate?

#6 - If a player hits the ball twice with his bat, is he out? Is it foul?

#7 - What happens if the runner runs out of that first baseline lane to avoid a first baseman attemting to catch an errant throw... but then the batter gets hit by the ball? Is it interference on the batter?

#8 - What is the process for appeals? It is common to see the pitcher set, step off, and throw to the base... but I can't find a reference for this either.

#9 - Do teams have to have a 1st base and 3rd base coach at all times?

What the hell, since you're a coach, I'll bite...maybe I'll spare an umpire down the line from having you scream at them because "you're positive you know the rule."

All of my answers are pursuant to OBR (Official Baseball Rules) (aka MLB rules).

#1 That is correct. He may go to his mouth off the dirt area of the mound. The penalty is a ball. Pro umpires are instructed to call this.

#2 A BUNTED ball can never be an infield fly. (Nor can a line drive)

#3 (a) I don't know I'm not a TV producer. (b) Not under OBR...I believe NCAA has a rule to that effect, but don't quote me on that. (c) Not an issue under OBR since all we care about is "did the batter offer at the pitch, in our judgment".

#4 By interpretation, "any part of the pivot foot on the pitching plate is legal." Thus, not all of the pivot foot must be on the pitcher's plate.

#5 Pro umpires don't give a sh!t. What's a batter's box? (I think others will tell you 6-inches)

#6 The answer to this question is found on aisle 3 of my local grocery store: "Depends". "If a batter chops a ball into the dirt or the plate and it immediately strikes or comes up and strikes the batter, or his bat, it is a foul ball only, and not interference." If he hits the ball and then his bat strikes his batted ball a second time over fair territory...then the batter is out for interference.

#7 I'd have to see the play.

#8 The reason you described the appeal process as you did in your question (though you don't know it) is because of two things: (a) an appeal can only be made while the ball is LIVE AND (b) when the ball becomes dead the ONLY way it can become live again is for the pitcher to have the ball while in-contact with the pitcher's plate.

Thus, if a defense wants to appeal but the ball is dead at the moment they decide to appeal, they must give the ball to the pitcher, have the pitcher get "on the rubber" and have all of the umpires "discontinue their signaling of time" in order to make the ball LIVE. When the ball becomes LIVE, the pitcher MAY then legally disengage the pitcher's plate and throw to the base they wish to appeal (assuming the defense is appealing a missed base or that a runner left a base too soon). (Disengaging the rubber is not required.)

However, if the ball is LIVE (i.e. it never became dead) at the time the defense decides it wants to appeal, there is no need to go through all this. Rather, the defense can just throw the ball to a fielder who can touch the missed base and, at the same time, appeal to the umpire that the runner missed the base. Or the defense can throw it to a fielder who can tag the runner (who allegedly missed the base) standing on a subsequent base and, at the same time, appeal that the runner missed the base.

#9 Under MLB and NAPBL interpretations: Pro teams are REQUIRED to have two base coaches.

Last edited by lawump; Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 06:23am.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I swear you coached one of my games last week... I swear to it.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

#8. I don't think you have to disengage although if your advising a coach I would say it's the best way to do it. I think Angel Hernandez balked Andy Petite for this last year and a day later admitted it was a mistake.

Last edited by umpjim; Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 11:03pm.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim
#8. I don't think you have to disengage although if your advising a coach I would say it's the best way to do it. I think Angel Hernandez balked Andy Petite for this last year and a day later admitted it was a mistake.
You're absolutely correct...I had a brain cramp...it was too close to midnight when I made my original post.

I've edited my OP.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck

#3 - Why do they always show the side TV angle on half-swings? Is it true that the bat has to cross the plate to be a strike on a check swing? I can't find a rule reference for this. What happens if a guy is way at the back of the box? they show the side angle because it's as close as they can get to what the base umpire is looking at. crossing the plate has nothing to do with it. the ruling is whether or not the batter committed to his swing in an attempt to hit the pitch.
Although I'm sure the original poster was talking about Major League games, I'd thought I'd throw out FED (high school) rule 10.1.4a, which states that, on a "half swing...as an aid in deciding, the umpire may note wheter the swing carried the barrel of the bat past the body of the batter, but the final decision is based on wheter the batter actually struck at the ball."
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMurr
I want to make sure I am teaching my guys the correct rules.
Yikes!

Honestly, you need to attend a clinic. If you're in a teaching position, and don't know these basic rules, you need to get with a group of instructors to help you out. We can hand you some fish here, but your really need learn how to fish for yourself.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day.

What I don't get is what this has to do with umpiring.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 08:28pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim
It's actually a better idea NOT to disengage - if you disengage and throw the ball out of play, everyone moves up two bases. If you don't disengage and throw it out of play, everyone only moves up one base. I'm surprised coaches don't teach this...

JJ
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
It's actually a better idea NOT to disengage - if you disengage and throw the ball out of play, everyone moves up two bases. If you don't disengage and throw it out of play, everyone only moves up one base. I'm surprised coaches don't teach this...

JJ

But if you don't disengage an inexperienced ump might balk the move.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
But if you don't disengage an inexperienced ump might balk the move.
And you are saying it shouldn't be balked b/c an appeal, by rule, is not a play? Therefore F1 is not "throwing to an unoccupied base?"

Do I have the jist, or am I (pardon the pun) way off base.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
And you are saying it shouldn't be balked b/c an appeal, by rule, is not a play? Therefore F1 is not "throwing to an unoccupied base?"

Do I have the jist, or am I (pardon the pun) way off base.
By OBR rule interpretation, an in-contact pitcher is allowed to throw to an unoccupied base for the purposes of making an appeal, period.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
MIB,

ALL rule codes allow the pitcher to throw to an unoccupied base for the purpose of making an appeal.

In FED, it's kind of a moot point because of their dead ball appeal.

JM