The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Question

In the closing minutes of a hotly contested game, A1 fouls B1 in the act, basket is missed. A1 earns himself a T disagreeing with the call. After the reporting, we clear the lane and shoot the foul, then the T. During three of the four free throws, members of A are moving in on the shooter, one player even going past the FTL extended. The obvious intent was to disconcert the shooter. I repeatedly ask the players to move back. A voice from the bench yells out, "they just have to be outside the 3 point line." I get more insistent and the players finally move back behind the shooter.

Years ago, I recall, we were encouraged/expected/required(?) to keep the non-shooters behind the half line. What is the current rule (Fed)? What is the best way to handle this situation?
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 05:58am
In Memoriam

The A players not on the FT lanes have to be outside the 3 point line and the free throw line extended,and must stay there until the FT touches the ring or backboard.If they don't,it's a violation and the FT is repeated if it's missed.If you think that they're also disconcerting the shooter,you can also call 'em for a violation if the FT is missed,and award a substitute FT.

You can warn 'em if you want,but if they're over the line early,you have to call the violation.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Kind of an interesting situation - many teams I see make it a point to keep their players behind the halfcourt line.

As pointed out by our dinosaur friend , you definately have a violation when the FTL extended is penetrated and you can have a disconcertion violation on any of these.

That said, if this seems to be an orchestrated action, this team is getting another technical foul assessed - and I'll require them to stand behind the halfcourt line.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I do not recall a situtation of shooting FTs for a "T" where any player, other than the shooter, is forward of the division line. The non-administering official should be monitoring all the "non-shooting" players behind the division line. That is the standard in our area.

I am aware of the usual FT position requirements, but I am interested in the rule ref that covers this situation. (I need to look it up)
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 12:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The A players not on the FT lanes have to be outside the 3 point line and the free throw line extended,and must stay there until the FT touches the ring or backboard.If they don't,it's a violation and the FT is repeated if it's missed.If you think that they're also disconcerting the shooter,you can also call 'em for a violation if the FT is missed,and award a substitute FT.

You can warn 'em if you want,but if they're over the line early,you have to call the violation.
I wanna work with you some day. Yer a good official.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 01:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
That said, if this seems to be an orchestrated action, this team is getting another technical foul assessed - and I'll require them to stand behind the halfcourt line.
Whoa there,my young friend!

You can't really force 'em to stand behind the center line.There's no rule requiring them to do so.All you can really do is call 'em for the plane violations or disconcerting T's.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 11th, 2003 at 12:56 PM]
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 01:42pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
I wanna work with you some day. Yer a good official. [/B][/QUOTE]I know one thing. We would have fun!

Of course,we might blow the game off and go fishing instead.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 01:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
I do not recall a situtation of shooting FTs for a "T" where any player, other than the shooter, is forward of the division line. The non-administering official should be monitoring all the "non-shooting" players behind the division line. That is the standard in our area.
It might be the standard,Willie,but it ain't right by the NFHS rulebook.The players,other than the shooter,are only required(by rule)to be behind the plane of the 3 point line and the freethrow line extended to where it meets the 3 point line.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 04:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I wanna work with you some day. Yer a good official. [/B]
I know one thing. We would have fun!

Of course,we might blow the game off and go fishing instead.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I've had the pleasure of working with Jurassic.

A lot of fun for sure!
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
It might be the standard,Willie,but it ain't right by the NFHS rulebook.The players,other than the shooter,are only required(by rule)to be behind the plane of the 3 point line and the freethrow line extended to where it meets the 3 point line.
As I said initially, it is a standard in our area, or local tradition. I have not, nor have I seen anyone insist that everyone be behind the division line. That is why I added the statement, (I need to look it up). I meant needed to look in the rules to confirm the actual rule (8-2-4). I did look it up and have now determined that it is the usual ... NO ONE in the marked spaces and all other playeres behind the FT line extended and behind the 3-pt line.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 08:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

As I said initially, it is a standard in our area, or local tradition. I have not, nor have I seen anyone insist that everyone be behind the division line. That is why I added the statement, (I need to look it up). I meant needed to look in the rules to confirm the actual rule (8-2-4). I did look it up and have now determined that it is the usual ... NO ONE in the marked spaces and all other playeres behind the FT line extended and behind the 3-pt line.
williebfree,
Division line is the norm U.P. here also, but I'm not normal.
mick
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 08:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee

I've had the pleasure of working with Jurassic.

A lot of fun for sure!
Yabut, ... can he really fish? He talks it really well.