The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Base coach picks up ball

In my JV game yesterday:

R2, grounder to short, throws low to first base. F3 gets a glove on it, but it trickles past him right in front of the 1st base coach who is a player. The player/coach then picks up the ball as F3 is chasing after it and hands it to him!

R1 was at 3rd right about when this happened and didn't try to advance. I just called time and kept everyone at their base since nobody was going anywhere.

Should I have called someone out for interference here?
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

No. You did the right thing. No one was interfered with.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

I agree with dash: good no call, since no one was interfered with.

However, I would have made sure to tell that coach never to touch a live ball, since there is a risk of interference.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I agree! No advantage was gained, so I wouldn't have called anything on this particular play.

-Josh
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
In my JV game yesterday:

R2, grounder to short, throws low to first base. F3 gets a glove on it, but it trickles past him right in front of the 1st base coach who is a player. The player/coach then picks up the ball as F3 is chasing after it and hands it to him!

R1 was at 3rd right about when this happened and didn't try to advance. I just called time and kept everyone at their base since nobody was going anywhere.
Nice Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Should I have called someone out for interference here?
Absolutely not for the reasons that others have posted.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ok thanks guys. That was the reasoning behind my ruling. Had there been a runner half way to home, my ruling might have been different.

Thanks for the affirmation!
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure of the actual rule number, but in case of interference such as this, you would impose penalties that would, in your judgement, nullify the interference. Since no one was going anywhere, good no call.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa Booey
Not sure of the actual rule number, but in case of interference such as this, you would impose penalties that would, in your judgement, nullify the interference. Since no one was going anywhere, good no call.
It could be you're not sure because there's no such rule. The "nullify the act" language comes from OBR's obstruction rule. The no-call is correct here because nobody was interfered with, not because there's no nullifying to be done.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
It could be you're not sure because there's no such rule. The "nullify the act" language comes from OBR's obstruction rule. The no-call is correct here because nobody was interfered with, not because there's no nullifying to be done.
I'm guessing he was referring to OBR 3.15 (interference by persons authorized to be on the field):

Quote:
3.15 No person shall be allowed on the playing field during a game except players and coaches in uniform, managers, news photographers authorized by the home team, umpires, officers of the law in uniform and watchmen or other employees of the home club. In case of unintentional interference with play by any person herein authorized to be on the playing field (except members of the offensive team participating in the game, or a coach in the coach’s box, or an umpire) the ball is alive and in play. If the interference is intentional, the ball shall be dead at the moment of the interference and the umpire shall impose such penalties as in his opinion will nullify the act of interference.
Note, however, that this does not apply to base coaches.