The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

why is this so confusing to so many umpires?

Had a discussion during a umpire meeting with umpires from various associations (nothing like a meeting of the minds....lol) and this scenario was presented.
2-2 count on the batter (outs and runners dont matter) pitch is delivered legally and batter swings at it and it clearly hits the batters hands and NOT the bat... ball rolls fair. whats the call?
Now, being a softball umpire this is "clearly" spelled out in the rule book that this is a dead ball strike and being the third strike, batter is out. of course my answer brought up (surprisingly) considerable debate.
So I go home, break out the OBR, FED and PONY rule books and case plays and I cannot for the life of me find anything that spells this out as they do in the FED softball rulebook.
Now, I know common sense should dictate that it doesnt matter where the ball falls (fair/foul) as its a dead ball once it strikes the batter and its swung at... so its a strike.
So any rule/case play reference's would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

FED 7-2-1 A strike is charged to the batter when: (b) a pitch is struck at and missed (even if the pitch touches the batter).

OBR 2.00 A strike is a legal pitch when so called by the umpire which: (e) touches the batter as he strikes at it.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

The play you describe is a dead ball strike in every code on earth, including that of the Yemeni Slayer-of-the-Infidel Federation (YSIF).

However, sometimes the contact has an obvious metallic sound, but the batter also reacts in pain. You have to determine whether the ball hit hands (dead ball strike) or metal (batted ball) first. In those cases, if the ball travels like a batted ball, I usually consider it such.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Notwithstanding the metallic sound, the squealing in pain of the batter should provide a hint.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

OBR

What Dash said plus:

5.09 The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when --

(a) A pitched ball touches a batter, or his clothing, while in his legal batting position; runners, if forced, advance;
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
OBR

What Dash said plus:

5.09 The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when --

(a) A pitched ball touches a batter, or his clothing, while in his legal batting position; runners, if forced, advance;
That shows the OP's a dead ball strike?

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Apr 21, 2008 at 10:18am.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
That shows the OP's a dead ball strike? C'mon Rich, keep up.
Dash posted the 2.00 rule that says it's a strike. My post has the rule that says it's a dead ball.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Apr 21, 2008 at 10:18am.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

There is also the following from 6.08(b)

6.08 The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when_

(b) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit

APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance.

Taken together with all the others, it is clear.

Rita
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
The play you describe is a dead ball strike in every code on earth, including that of the Yemeni Slayer-of-the-Infidel Federation (YSIF).

However, sometimes the contact has an obvious metallic sound, but the batter also reacts in pain. You have to determine whether the ball hit hands (dead ball strike) or metal (batted ball) first. In those cases, if the ball travels like a batted ball, I usually consider it such.
If I were able to differentiate whether it hit the metal first and then the hand, I would have a foul ball, never fair.

So your response should either be hit the hands (dead ball strike) or metal (batted ball but foul) first.

Rita
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
If I were able to differentiate whether it hit the metal first and then the hand, I would have a foul ball, never fair.

So your response should either be hit the hands (dead ball strike) or metal (batted ball but foul) first.

Rita
Right, and no special rule is required for the foul ball call. It's a batted ball that first hits an object (the batter's hand) in foul territory.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 08:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Right, and no special rule is required for the foul ball call. It's a batted ball that first hits an object (the batter's hand) in foul territory.
Really? What if the ball was over the plate when it made contact with the bat? If the ball hits the bat first and then the hands, it's not automatically a foul ball, unless you're playing Calvin Ball. It's irrelevant that it subsequently happened to touch the batter's hands. The batters hands are not considered under Rule 2:00 FOUL BALL to be an object in foul territory, or a player or umpire.

If I'm the manager, and my batter hits the ball with the metal (or wood) part of the bat, and it is in fair territory, and you call it foul, I going to be in your face arguing. It's either a dead-ball strike if it hits his hands first, or a fair or foul ball depending on where the ball settles or is touched by a fielder if it hits the bat first.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think you meant, that if you are the manager, and all your runners arrive at their bases safely, then you want the ball to be fair. Otherwise, I think you would be happy with the foul ball.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Really? What if the ball was over the plate when it made contact with the bat? If the ball hits the bat first and then the hands, it's not automatically a foul ball, unless you're playing Calvin Ball. It's irrelevant that it subsequently happened to touch the batter's hands. The batters hands are not considered under Rule 2:00 FOUL BALL to be an object in foul territory, or a player or umpire.

If I'm the manager, and my batter hits the ball with the metal (or wood) part of the bat, and it is in fair territory, and you call it foul, I going to be in your face arguing. It's either a dead-ball strike if it hits his hands first, or a fair or foul ball depending on where the ball settles or is touched by a fielder if it hits the bat first.
Steve,

I know you've been "away" for a while, but come on. It's a foul ball. What, you going to call the batter out for interference under 7.09(k)? Have fun with that.

JM
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 11:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
Steve,

I know you've been "away" for a while, but come on. It's a foul ball. What, you going to call the batter out for interference under 7.09(k)? Have fun with that.

JM
No, I'm not calling interference at all. The ball hit the bat, not the batter's hands. It may have stung a whole bunch, or pinched the hand, but I'm not good enough to tell that it hit anything but the bat. If it clearly hit the hands first, it's a dead ball. If not, I play on. If the ball rolls foul, I call it foul.

I see a lot of balls hit near the handle of the bat that hit the bat and then catch a little bit of finger too. I've seen these balls that ended up in fair territory called fair. Maybe I'm not seeing this like others are seeing it. I'm talking about a possible near-simultaneous hit of both ball and finger, with the bat being hit just prior to maybe nicking a finger. No INT, no HBP, just a ball hitting the bat.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue Apr 22, 2008 at 12:05am.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 12:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex
I think you meant, that if you are the manager, and all your runners arrive at their bases safely, then you want the ball to be fair. Otherwise, I think you would be happy with the foul ball.
Yes, pretty much. I would argue if the result would end in my favor, of course. If it ended up as a triple play I would be happy with the foul call.