Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapopez
That was actually a really nice post. I can accept all of it and I'm glad to have that knowledge now. If it were made earlier on, that is before your prior one, I probably wouldn't feel as I do now: I just assume you keep me on your 'ignore list'. I don't like you and I am not interested in your opinions. Respond if you wish to my future queries, however, I couldn't care less about your opinions in particular.
Take this FWIW, but that's acting very troll-like and being very shortsighted. It could be interpreted as, "I have my opinion and I don't care to learn."
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I read it as "I don't like this guy's style and tone, so I'm going to ignore his posts, whether those could teach me something or not."

Lapopez, regardless of how you feel about Tee's prickly online persona, he knows his stuff and deserves your attention.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 12:19pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Take this FWIW, but that's acting very troll-like and being very shortsighted. It could be interpreted as, "I have my opinion and I don't care to learn."
Not at all. I don't care for Tim. I acknowledge his knowledge. My opinions would probably be wrong versus his. I fully realize and willingly sacrifice the times I may get some knowledge from him to never have to read a response from him to a question I may have again. I do not care to learn from him. You were helpful in a helpful way. He is a condescending person and I am not interested in his help. That opinion has been formed from his responses to me and others in the past, not just this thread. He suggested putting me on his "ignore" list. That's what I want.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Lapopez,

As in all things, do as you think best.

However, are you familiar with the phrases "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" or "Throwing the baby out with the bath water"?

When I first started reading this board a number of years back and came across some of Tee's posts, my first reaction was, "Man, what an arrogant Pri*k!". As I read some more, that changed to, "Man, that arrogant pri*k sure seems to know a lot more about umpiring than I do, AND he's willing to share what he knows in this forum. I think I can put up with the arrogance if it'll help me become a better umpire."

Subsequently, I had the opportunity to watch Tee work a game (PU for a HS Varsity contest) and have some dinner and conversation afterwards. After watching him work, my opinion that he knows a lot more than me about umpiring was reinforced, and I found him not to be a pri*k at all in person.

I am of the opinion that a good umpire needs to have a "thick skin". Your post leads me to believe that Tee "hurt your feelings" so you've decided not to avail yourself of what you could learn from his knowledge and experience. Maybe umpiring isn't something you should do.

But, as I said, make your own decision and do as you think best.

JM
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 12:51pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
Lapopez,

As in all things, do as you think best.

However, are you familiar with the phrases "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" or "Throwing the baby out with the bath water"?

When I first started reading this board a number of years back and came across some of Tee's posts, my first reaction was, "Man, what an arrogant Pri*k!". As I read some more, that changed to, "Man, that arrogant pri*k sure seems to know a lot more about umpiring than I do, AND he's willing to share what he knows in this forum. I think I can put up with the arrogance if it'll help me become a better umpire."

Subsequently, I had the opportunity to watch Tee work a game (PU for a HS Varsity contest) and have some dinner and conversation afterwards. After watching him work, my opinion that he knows a lot more than me about umpiring was reinforced, and I found him not to be a pri*k at all in person.

I am of the opinion that a good umpire needs to have a "thick skin". Your post leads me to believe that Tee "hurt your feelings" so you've decided not to avail yourself of what you could learn from his knowledge and experience. Maybe umpiring isn't something you should do.

But, as I said, make your own decision and do as you think best.

JM
I already acknowledged just about everything you just said. "AND he's willing to share what he knows in this forum." I don't care for his condescending approach to this, therefore, I am not interested in learning anything from him in particular.
Closed Thread