The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 09:33pm
In Time Out

Mechanic on Obstruction

Since all obstruction on runners in FED is delayed dead, what is the proper mechanic to use when the obstruction is on the runner a play is being made on? I had an unusual obstruction in a game Friday night where one player obstructed and another player made the swipe tag at the plate. Everything was bang bang. I signaled safe and gave the obstruction signal. I verbalized, "Safe! Runner is safe on the obstruction! Safe!"

Did I do it backwards or was my method acceptable? Is there a better method to use? This has never come up in one of our meetings that I can remember.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

When the obstruction occurs point at it just as you would a balk and sell it with "That's Obstruction!". When the play is being made on the obstructed runner the ball is now dead. Call "Time", re-call the obstruction the same way as you did orginally and award the necessary base or bases.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing wrong with what you did. It was all together. You made both calls together.

I learned the "proper" mechanic last fall (not applied to FED at the time), but it's pretty much what tiger said...point, "that's obstruction," play ends, "Time, that's obstruction", then award.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Point and call the obstruction. Remember in Fed there is no difference between type A or B obstruction. It is always a delayed dead ball. Let the play develop as you did, then call time, and enforce the obstruction penalty.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 03:21am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Since all obstruction on runners in FED is delayed dead, what is the proper mechanic to use when the obstruction is on the runner a play is being made on? I had an unusual obstruction in a game Friday night where one player obstructed and another player made the swipe tag at the plate. Everything was bang bang. I signaled safe and gave the obstruction signal. I verbalized, "Safe! Runner is safe on the obstruction! Safe!"
Always state and signal the obstruction first then make the call. Thats the way it happens, right? If you make a call that appears to be wierd (an obvious out called safr by OBS) you get that OBS point over first. If you want to reiterate the OBS after the call, no problemo.

Last edited by fitump56; Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 03:06am.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

FED does have a signal for delayed dead ball (left fist extended to side), but it's not crucial. Correct mechanic is to verbalize "that's obstruction!" and don't be shy about it!
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

In FED, you are required to keep the ball alive until ALL playing action has stopped. It's not like OBR where you kill it when the obstructed runner is tagged out.

When the initial obstruction occurs, yell "That's Obstruction," then give the delayed dead ball sign.

When the runner is tagged out, keep the DDB sign up, point and say "safe on obstruction" and keep the ball alive.

I've yet to hear a FED interp be released on the proper way to handle this when obstruction occurs. I'm going to ask my state interpreter at a clinic in mid-March.

Maybe Tee can shed some light on this since he's so closely involved with the NFHS...
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 12:55am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman
I thought that when you saw obstruction, you throw a red flag??? Oh well... I wonder if Honigs will let me return my slightly used red flag. Maybe I can get a store credit or something?
try +POS
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 03:05am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
FED does have a signal for delayed dead ball (left fist extended to side), but it's not crucial. Correct mechanic is to verbalize "that's obstruction!" and don't be shy about it!
You must work in ball parks that have a silence rule. If anything is crucial, it is the dead ball signal.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler

Did I do it backwards or was my method acceptable? Is there a better method to use? This has never come up in one of our meetings that I can remember.
My question? Were there any other runners involved or just R3?

In FED we are supposed to wait until ALL playing action ends before enforcing the OBS penalty. We signal That's OBS and keep the ball alive. If the runner is safe/out we make the call and then when playing action ends sort everything out.

IMO if we only have one runner it makes no sense to signal that's OBS make the call (out or safe), wait until playiing is over (which when we are dealing with one runner is for all practical purposes during the tag attempt) then signal TIME and make awards. Too convuluted

In your OP if we only had the one runner and he was Obstructed by F2 my call would be

1. TIME
2. That's OBS
3. Award R3 home

IMO, this is something FED needs to clear-up. I can understand waiting until playing action is over when multiple runners are involved but not when we only have the one runner to deal with.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman
Oh well... I wonder if Honigs will let me return my slightly used red flag. Maybe I can get a store credit or something?
Many a bullfight could use your red flag....think EBay.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Ahem,

"You must work in ball parks that have a silence rule. If anything is crucial, it is the dead ball signal."

I am currently working my 40th NFHS season . . . blah, blah, blah . . . and over 4,000 games . . . blah, blah, blah. . .

AND NOT ONCE have I ever seen an umpire give the NFHS "Delayed Dead Ball" signal. We teach to point, comment, and move on to the remainder of the play.

Regards,
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The idea of running around with your left arm held out while play is on-going is ridiculous. I too have never seen anyone use that signal and I personally never have nor ever will.

Bossman, your statement, "When the runner is tagged out, keep the DDB sign up, point and say "safe on obstruction" and keep the ball alive" needs some clarification, at least for me. The mechanic is different depending on if you are the one making the "out or safe" call on the obstructed runner. Can I assume that in your situation YOU are the one who has the call involving the obstructed runner?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.

Last edited by RPatrino; Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 02:41pm.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I was taught as little as 2 or 3 years ago...

1) Point with right arm at the obstruction while verbalizing "that's obstruction"
2) Stick out left arm (don't run around with it out, but it lets your partner(s) know something is up in case they didn't hear or see your first point)

Giving the DDB signal is not only the mechanic, it seems to me to be a good communication tool with your partner(s), and lets players and coaches know (assuming they know the rules), OBS has been called.

Same goes for Balks in OBR...

My .02...
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
I was taught as little as 2 or 3 years ago...

1) Point with right arm at the obstruction while verbalizing "that's obstruction"
2) Stick out left arm (don't run around with it out, but it lets your partner(s) know something is up in case they didn't hear or see your first point)

Giving the DDB signal is not only the mechanic, it seems to me to be a good communication tool with your partner(s), and lets players and coaches know (assuming they know the rules), OBS has been called.

Same goes for Balks in OBR...

My .02...
Same what goes for balks in OBR? A "delayed deadball signal?"

Heaven forfend!