Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Play: Runner was coming home. He had to do so with a head first slide. Catcher was in runner's base path. Pitcher was inside of the base line. Runner was forced to go inside to avoid collision with catcher. Pitcher caught the throw that came in on one bounce and made a smooth little nip of a swipe tag. Runner was denied full base path to avoid tag when forced to avoid catcher not being where he was supposed to be. Both fielders were up the line from home plate.

In this situation, obstructing player did not make the swipe tag. He obstructed runner's base path

You made a good call here. I know you work FED games and this is how it's to be called now in high school games that use FED rules. No more "imminent" in the rule.

Tim.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:41pm
Stop staring at me swan.

We haven't had our FED meeting yet...but wow, this is going to make it a very interesting season. I expect my ratings to go down quite a bit if the interpretation of this FED rule is what all of you are saying...wow.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
We haven't had our FED meeting yet...but wow, this is going to make it a very interesting season. I expect my ratings to go down quite a bit if the interpretation of this FED rule is what all of you are saying...wow.
If you do NCAA games, the obstruction rule is essentially the same.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:44pm
Stop staring at me swan.

thanks bossman...i was talking to a couple of guys who are in the know regarding the changes coming to FED in MN...and they said, like you, that the rule will mirror the NCAA OBS rule...thanks for the post.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 12:27pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Play: Runner was coming home. He had to do so with a head first slide. Catcher was in runner's base path. Pitcher was inside of the base line. Runner was forced to go inside to avoid collision with catcher. Pitcher caught the throw that came in on one bounce and made a smooth little nip of a swipe tag. Runner was denied full base path to avoid tag when forced to avoid catcher not being where he was supposed to be. Both fielders were up the line from home plate.

In this situation, obstructing player did not make the swipe tag. He obstructed runner's base path

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
You made a good call here. I know you work FED games and this is how it's to be called now in high school games that use FED rules. No more "imminent" in the rule.
Tim.
Have to agree Tim, nice catch. There are distinct advantages from off the field sight lines and pressurless review.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 12:29pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"You must work in ball parks that have a silence rule. If anything is crucial, it is the dead ball signal."

I am currently working my 40th NFHS season . . . blah, blah, blah . . . and over 4,000 games . . . blah, blah, blah. . .

AND NOT ONCE have I ever seen an umpire give the NFHS "Delayed Dead Ball" signal. We teach to point, comment, and move on to the remainder of the play.
Then you and your org learned somehting today, make sure you put it in soon before knowleadgeable coaches start eating your ballbags.