The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

If the "delayed dead ball" signal was so wonderful don't ya think the professional leagues would adopt it?

Again, it is a waste of time and not part of my game.

Regards,
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
FWIW, point with LEFT hand while announcing "that's a balk" or "that's obstruction". What dead ball signal are you giving on a balk in OBR? I don't recall OBR having a 'dead ball signal', maybe your hat over your heart and bow your head in mourning?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

"There is no such thing as a delayed dead ball in professional baseball. The ball is either live or dead." Jim Evans

IMO that should be applied to FED as well. A ball, in fact, is live or dead. We don't have "comatose ball." When obstruction occurs, the ball is live. Period. At the end of play, it is then dead. DDB signals are lame and, if the correct obstruction signal is used, worthless.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 05:34pm.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Of course I meant "delayed dead ball" signal in my previous post. We have a 'dead ball' signal.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:43pm
Stop staring at me swan.

the "point" is actually the NCAA and OBR mechanic...unless it's changed for this year...the point isn't part of the actual FED mechanic. I might have been posted on here earlier, I didn't read it after last night...
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
the "point" is actually the NCAA and OBR mechanic...unless it's changed for this year...the point isn't part of the actual FED mechanic. I might have been posted on here earlier, I didn't read it after last night...
As they do in Wisconsin, when the FED mechanic book arrives, I toss it in the recycle bin.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

What does a Fed mechanic book look like, anyway?

-----------------------
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
What does a Fed mechanic book look like, anyway?
Same size as the rule book and casebook and it is actually called the Umpire Manual.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

I've actually never seen one.

-----------------------
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Bossman, your statement, "When the runner is tagged out, keep the DDB sign up, point and say "safe on obstruction" and keep the ball alive" needs some clarification, at least for me. The mechanic is different depending on if you are the one making the "out or safe" call on the obstructed runner. Can I assume that in your situation YOU are the one who has the call involving the obstructed runner?

You assumed correctly, this would be the BU making the OBS call and the call on the play being made on the obstructed runner. DDB signal when it happens (I probably wouldn't keep it up the whole time running around with it), then point and just say "safe on obsruction" and then call time and make the award when action is relaxed.

This was the interp I got when I asked what the mechanic is for this a LONG time ago on this board. I will ask my state interpreter in a few weeks.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:29pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"You must work in ball parks that have a silence rule. If anything is crucial, it is the dead ball signal."

I am currently working my 40th NFHS season . . . blah, blah, blah . . . and over 4,000 games . . . blah, blah, blah. . .

AND NOT ONCE have I ever seen an umpire give the NFHS "Delayed Dead Ball" signal. We teach to point, comment, and move on to the remainder of the play.

Regards,
The fourth and fifth hole hitters on one team batted in reverse order in the game. Too bad the defense waited until they had thrown two pitches before they realized what had happened. There was almost a first time for that ruling.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 08:25pm.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

And,

In Oregon we got tired of apologizing to our umpires about the silly NFHS mechanics so we dumped them and now use the "Oregon Modified Mechanics".

These mechanics are mirrored to the CCA books and we expect umpires to umpire and not dumb down things to the Federation level.

We no longer distribute the Umpire Manual in the packets every other year. Instead all umpires in Oregon will get a copy of the "Oregon Modified Manual for a 2 Person Crew" that was co-written by a long time poster to this site.

Regards,

BTW, there is no signal for "delayed dead ball" in this new manual.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Since all obstruction on runners in FED is delayed dead, what is the proper mechanic to use when the obstruction is on the runner a play is being made on? I had an unusual obstruction in a game Friday night where one player obstructed and another player made the swipe tag at the plate. Everything was bang bang. I signaled safe and gave the obstruction signal. I verbalized, "Safe! Runner is safe on the obstruction! Safe!"

Did I do it backwards or was my method acceptable? Is there a better method to use? This has never come up in one of our meetings that I can remember.
Please help me understand this situation. When the obstructing player made the swipe tag, was the runner out or safe (without the obstruction)?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 08:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
Please help me understand this situation. When the obstructing player made the swipe tag, was the runner out or safe (without the obstruction)?
Play: Runner was coming home. He had to do so with a head first slide. Catcher was in runner's base path. Pitcher was inside of the base line. Runner was forced to go inside to avoid collision with catcher. Pitcher caught the throw that came in on one bounce and made a smooth little nip of a swipe tag. Runner was denied full base path to avoid tag when forced to avoid catcher not being where he was supposed to be. Both fielders were up the line from home plate.

In this situation, obstructing player did not make the swipe tag. He obstructed runner's base path
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 09:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

but was he in position to make a play on the ball? I'd like to see a video of this...but as you describe, I don't see OBS here.