View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Since all obstruction on runners in FED is delayed dead, what is the proper mechanic to use when the obstruction is on the runner a play is being made on? I had an unusual obstruction in a game Friday night where one player obstructed and another player made the swipe tag at the plate. Everything was bang bang. I signaled safe and gave the obstruction signal. I verbalized, "Safe! Runner is safe on the obstruction! Safe!"

Did I do it backwards or was my method acceptable? Is there a better method to use? This has never come up in one of our meetings that I can remember.
My question? Were there any other runners involved or just R3?

In FED we are supposed to wait until ALL playing action ends before enforcing the OBS penalty. We signal That's OBS and keep the ball alive. If the runner is safe/out we make the call and then when playing action ends sort everything out.

IMO if we only have one runner it makes no sense to signal that's OBS make the call (out or safe), wait until playiing is over (which when we are dealing with one runner is for all practical purposes during the tag attempt) then signal TIME and make awards. Too convuluted

In your OP if we only had the one runner and he was Obstructed by F2 my call would be

1. TIME
2. That's OBS
3. Award R3 home

IMO, this is something FED needs to clear-up. I can understand waiting until playing action is over when multiple runners are involved but not when we only have the one runner to deal with.

Pete Booth