Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
He gave all the information I needed when he said it was a USSSA 12U game. Having helped at this level on a few occasions, you will see a combination of bad umpiring and coaching. I'm not saying the guy got the call wrong, but situations like the coaches rushing the field just make it look worse than what it really was. If you want to work on your rules knowledge that is the place to be, as the unusual will naturally take place and partners from hell are commonplace.
I'll drink to that.... here here.

-Tuss
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
"My question is at what point would you call an out, when a fielder with the ball tags a runner? Should there be a delay to see if he keeps the ball in his glove/hand?"

Ah, there should be a bit of a delay, to ensure the F maintaines control of the ball. If a hard slide knocks a ball out after the tag, safe is the right call,
same on a hard tag in the OP. If the force generated by the tag causes the ball to come loose, safe.

I called this one time:
RHed F3, late break to the bag of a GB to F4's left, has F3 scrambling toward the bag, throw from F4 is to the RF side of the bag. F3 strectches back, snags the errant throw, hits the bag with his right foot ahead of the BR, his momentum spins him out of control in the direction of home, as he spins around the ball flies out of his glove and rolls to F2. Safe, was my call. No arguements, no protests, no offer of help from my partner, play on. U18 USSSA tourny.
In baseball you make your call when the play is over. There's a delay in that respect. Tag plays be sure the fielder demonstrates control. When you're satisfied that's the case make the call.