The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

1. It looks to me like you are too far back and too low to see the outside corner.

2. On some pitches, your head moves as the pitch comes in. Not much, but even a little movement suggests improper tracking with the eyes. Concentrate on keeping the head still.

3. A nit pick - try not to look at your indicator, it looks bad. If you need to look at it, make a slight adjustment to your mask with your left hand and sneak a peek that way.

4. Good job of hanging in there and not bailing out on a catcher who let more than 75% of the pitches get by him. Are you sure he's a lefty?
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
If this is a Canadian thing, so be it, but it is one of many things used at Jim's for drill purposes. It is dropped by most as soon as clinic/school/classic is over, just like the mechanic of calling time at the end of the plate drill.
I agree they tend to allow us to drop calling balls by the number however they still would like to see strikes by the number.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

When the catcher caught the one strike and squeezed it and i realized it was a squeak toy i about lost it!! hahaha!!!

But on a serious note, everyone has given you good advice here. Keep improving. Keep learning.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Thank you for the comments guys. I was told by another umpire that the pro schools teach putting the batter-side forearm in front of the waist, and putting the hand that is behind the catcher to the side of the knee, with the thumb tucking underneath the shin guard. Would this be a better alternative to putting the hand behind the back?

I also like hearing that I made the calls a bit too quick, because I am often told that I take too long to make my call.

I will likely have some videos of live-game action up by May, which should make things a bit easier to observe.
whoever told you that the pro schools teach what i put in bold above was lying to you. that's just plain dangerous.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I also like hearing that I made the calls a bit too quick, because I am often told that I take too long to make my call.
You have your "druthers" backwards. I would rather be told I take too long to make my call than I make them too quickly.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
whoever told you that the pro schools teach what i put in bold above was lying to you. that's just plain dangerous.
Man, if I had a dollar for everytime I've heard someone say, "this what they teach in proschool" while referencing bullsh!t, I'd have complete new gear and unis every year.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Garth I will admit that I probably misheard or misphrased the information that was given to me.

Is this the way they teach it: batter-side forearm at the stomach, catcher-side hand beside the leg?
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

The most important piece of advice you'll ever get out of this...

Mom told you never to play ball in the house!

(C.U. might be too young to get this iconic Brady Bunch reference, but I'm guessing most here are not.)

Last edited by BretMan; Tue Jan 22, 2008 at 09:02am.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

One other subtle thing I noticed was that you did not relax between pitches. You spent a lot of time before the pitcher began his motion in that wide stance. If you called a 9 inning game doing that I imagine you would be quite tiredby the 5th inning. Of course cage work is very different from game situations and you might not do that during a game. I am in the habit of taking a step back and standing up straight until the pitcher starts his motion before I get into position. I have plenty of time to get set and it helps me relax. All in all you looked pretty good to me.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks again for the feedback. Where should I put my catcher-side hand?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Thanks again for the feedback. Where should I put my catcher-side hand?
Place it just above your knee on your thigh. It'll help you to "lock in."

Tim.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Place it just above your knee on your thigh. It'll help you to "lock in."

Tim.
I believe you can do better than that, Tim. What would you recommend in a more dynamic, safety conscious approach? Hand on knee is problematic to injury especially with particular F2 positionings. Yes?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
He posted the link in post # 5, BigUmp56
Tim is sure having a rough decade.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Hello Youngster, glad to see you are still at it regardless of the great assistance and positive feedback of too many (misguided) Veterans of this forum. How can you not succeed with such youthful commentary coming from adult (aged) mouths?

Signal your finger (count) when you have the attention of F1, with palms facing in. This will show only your count fingers (try it for yourself), easier to see especially at a distance.

Watch out for the “Strike” hand over the head of F2; he may popup on you with a throwing arm or his head.

No need to look at your counter; takes eyes off the field. Cut into the wheels notches for the zeros so that you know when you are reset there by feel. If you need to look at your counter, pull your hand up to your mask, counter facing in, and peek as you adjust your mask

Get an F2 that can catch; those wiffle balls can put a sting on you and Mom’s furniture.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 02:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
I believe you can do better than that, Tim. What would you recommend in a more dynamic, safety conscious approach? Hand on knee is problematic to injury especially with particular F2 positionings. Yes?
And as always, reading is fundamental. Tim said above the knee on the thigh, which is not problematic to injury. He didn't say to put it on top of the shin guard.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25