The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 02:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Hello Youngster, glad to see you are still at it regardless of the great assistance and positive feedback of too many (misguided) Veterans of this forum. How can you not succeed with such youthful commentary coming from adult (aged) mouths?
I think he's better off with us veterans than with a LL guy like you, and I sincerely mean no offense to other LL guys.

Quote:
Signal your finger (count) when you have the attention of F1, with palms facing in. This will show only your count fingers (try it for yourself), easier to see especially at a distance.
Pretty Smitty. I don't think that's the way it's taught at the school. Anyone back me up on this assumption?

Quote:
Watch out for the “Strike” hand over the head of F2; he may popup on you with a throwing arm or his head.
I think the reason not to signal high like that is because it looks like hell. You have to be aware of the situation and stay out of the catcher's way, no matter how you signal strikes.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

InterestedUmp, where have you been hiding? What's happened to Donovan- I haven't seen him in ages either. Good to see you back.

I take it I should be signaling lower. How much lower?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Pretty Smitty. I don't think that's the way it's taught at the school. Anyone back me up on this assumption?

I got it, no it's not taught that way at school
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
I got it, no it's not taught that way at school
Or PBUC, or college clinics for that matter. I doubt LL western regional teaches that either.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have a close friend who has taught down at western region, and nope not there either, that about covers em all.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
InterestedUmp, where have you been hiding? What's happened to Donovan- I haven't seen him in ages either. Good to see you back.

Thanks for the welcome, I nearly missed it with the parade of them coming from all four corners of the forum. The Deej is fine and I will pass along your nice thoughts. During the winter, I make him hibernate with the other bears. It renews his pi** and vinegar.

Not lower with the signaling, I would suggest that the level of the hands is adjustable to the positioning of the B and F2. I am under 6 feet which means I often side step to the open batter;s box to signal the count, if F2 is standing, for instance.

Our philosophy on signalling is that to accomodate the three most important people in any pitch. F1, B and F2. Personally, I try to find a "quiet time" where I can get the attention of all three with hand signals primarily for F1 not necessarily in tandem with a verbal announcement for the ears of B and F2

For simplicity, I do not announce every Ball or Strike especially if the obvious pitch well outside the zone has occured, I try not to interfere with my commo when coaches, F1/F2, others may be attempting their own.

I see in the responses that many do, goody for them. I find many umpires take this opportunity to bring focus to themselves and announce every single pitch. I might suggest that they purchase rooms full of mirrors and echo chambers to satiate their need to be heard and seen.

Hopefully, I answered your question. Signalling has one purpose, to bring attention to the umpire.

No, strike that.

It is to commo the count as a reminder, a courtesy, an improvement to the level of play, service to the game.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Watch out for the “Strike” hand over the head of F2; he may popup on you with a throwing arm or his head.
Quote:
I think the reason not to signal high like that is because it looks like hell. You have to be aware of the situation and stay out of the catcher's way, no matter how you signal strikes.

let me see if I understand you. It "looks like hell" to use a high, elevated strike signal iynsho. "Looks" are in the Eye Of The Beholder. I happen to dislike the looks of obese umpires.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Be carefull who you listen to when you ask for feedback from others. However good intentioned some may be, they think they know, but they do not know.

here are a few things a noticed from your video. (you didn't even have to pay to go to umpire school for this advice.

---Before you walk in behind your catcher, put your mask on. It should be on and ready to go before you even start to walk behind him. Then all you have to do is get in slot and wait.
-----Timing is quick at times. proper use of eyes will take care of that. See the pitch all the way to the mitt. Do not be in a hurry.
-----hold indicator in hand with pointer and thumb, not with pinky and thumb.
-----put arms up at same time, and signal with fingers at same time when giving the count. 1 ball 1 strike.
-----regular strike mechanic is too high. keep it down just below shoulder if you are going out to the side like that. still be visible with it , just will look much better.
----you look good in your uniform. nice and clean and well fitting.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

See me umpire

1) Should I say "one ball, one strike" when giving the count or "one and one"? Is either okay?

In the minor leagues of professional baseball youa re taught to say one ball and one strike (or whatever the correct number of balls/strikes is). Also, there is no such thing as a "full count", that is actually a media term. Finally, when you have either two balls or two strikes it is always indicated with the index and ring finger and never the index and pinky fingers.

2) Should I be quieter on my "ball" calls?

Jim Evans teaches that on pitches that are balls, the call should be lound enough for the dugouts to hear. On strikes the call should be loud enough to be heard in the stands and should get progressively louder from strike one to strike three.

3) Was I working far enough from the catcher?

Its difficult to evaluate your stance from the video, however you should be set up in the slot such that the toes of your front foot are on the same line as the heels of the catcher and the and the toes of your foot are in the same line as the heel of your front foot. In addition, your trail foot should be turned slightly outward. This will help you to avoid having the catcher make contact with you should he need to pop up to throw.

Your head height should be that your chin should be no lower then the top of the catchers head.

4) How was the timing?

See number 5
5) How was my use of the eyes?

This is also difficult to see on the video. You should be tracking the ball all the way into the catchers mitt. the call is made mentally, the signal is dne physically. The sequence should be somthing like....your eyes track the ball into the mitt, you decide in your mind the pitch is a strike, then you come up and signal strike.

The mechanics for strike and out are the same. You extend your right hand like you are ging to shake someoens hand, then make a fist and band on someones door.

I hope this helps.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vztdbMGo8CQ[/QUOTE]
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbnascarfan
1) Should I say "one ball, one strike" when giving the count or "one and one"? Is either okay?

In the minor leagues of professional baseball youa re taught to say one ball and one strike (or whatever the correct number of balls/strikes is).
That's what is taught. Is that what is used?

In any event, I'd use whichever the "big dogs" in your assoication use.

Quote:
Also, there is no such thing as a "full count", that is actually a media term.
Agreed.

Quote:
Finally, when you have either two balls or two strikes it is always indicated with the index and ring finger and never the index and pinky fingers.
I'm sure you mean "index and middle finger"
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballccv
Be carefull who you listen to when you ask for feedback from others. However good intentioned some may be, they think they know, but they do not know.
Agree; erudite observation from a "first" time poster.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That's what is taught. Is that what is used?

In any event, I'd use whichever the "big dogs" in your assoication use.

Thats is what PBUC bases their evlauations on.

Agreed.

I'm sure you mean "index and middle finger"
Yes, Thank you.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:20pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6

Hey, kiddo, as always I see you're pushinmg the education curve, good for you. Remember when you get advice, especially from the fatsos who are limited by their bellies position-wise. They tend to be the ones that "let their gear do the job it's supposed to"; translation - can't get low enough to get protect from F2.

All this "how they teach at school" is a laff. I've seen 50 schools and about as many "mandatory" things that differ. Just don't poke anyone in the eye.

I hear the "MLB umpires leave their hands exposed, on th eknee, etc etc" all the time. You're prolly umping ball where the catchers are as about as good as the one in your film.

Tuck that sucker away anywhere it won't take a shot and that does not include on top of the knee b/c it looks "good."
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

~Heavy Sigh~

I see the fools have returned. It was so nice while they were gone.

Regards,
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hear the "MLB umpires leave their hands exposed, on th eknee, etc etc" all the time. You're prolly umping ball where the catchers are as about as good as the one in your film.
He was catching with about the skill of a 7 year old machine pitch player. That level of "baseball" is something I try to avoid like the plague.