Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
I see the fools have returned.
Like locusts.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
I see the fools have returned. It was so nice while they were gone.

Regards,
Really? Well, thanks to the handy-dandy "Idiot-No-More Click and Ignore" feature, I hadn't really noticed.

Since being introduced to the Ignore feature at Off.com, I've been saved from much of the inaccurate information, fawning over wannabees, off-target insults and holier than a Pope position statements that tend to accompany certain posts.

Yes, sir, the "Idiot-No-More Click and Ignore" is more than worth double it's price in time savings alone. Not only do you not see the inane posts, but you are no longer tempted to spend the time in the futile exercise of correcting them.

That's "Idion-No-More Click and Ignore." Available at all of the better forums. Get yours today.

Last edited by GarthB; Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 11:13pm.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56

Tuck that sucker away anywhere it won't take a shot and that does not include on top of the knee b/c it looks "good."

I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to explain how properly locking in is essential in maintaining proper head height throughout a game.............

Tim.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to explain how properly locking in is essential in maintaining proper head height throughout a game.............

Tim.
The surprise is that you're wondering if it's "even worth trying". Surely you know the answer to that.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Tim.
I'd be most Interested Ump in hearing you expound on this biomechanical-visual relationship, please, for all of our edification, do proceed.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
He was catching with about the skill of a 7 year old machine pitch player. That level of "baseball" is something I try to avoid like the plague.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
In any event, I'd use whichever the "big dogs" in your assoication use.
Alas, the Voice Of Reason, Mr. Jenkins is absolutely correct. Officiating is about the money and it is about pleasing the moneygivers. Only wish those Old Dawgs were right more often.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Really? Well, thanks to the handy-dandy "Idiot-No-More Click and Ignore" feature, I hadn't really noticed... the Ignore feature at Off.com, Yes, sir, the "Idiot-No-More Click and Ignore" ...That's "Idiont-No-More Click and Ignore." .
I have to wonder why it is that you, and your Old Guard, go to such lengths to make sure that Donovan and I see your criticisms yet expound on how little you care to see our posts. What, for the life of me I do not know, are you afraid of? Why is it that you choose to torture young umpires who are trying their best but pass on debate with your age equals?

Is it so important to you to control, as if you could, this forum that you would go to such ridiculous measures as this post above? Is honest discussion fallen down your list of forum priorities that it resides below bullying antics and informative debate?

Why am I asking this, of course it does, your actions speak louder than my typing.

So much to offer, so much waste.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:49am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Really? Well, thanks to the handy-dandy "Idiot-No-More Click and Ignore" feature, I hadn't really noticed... the Ignore feature at Off.com, Yes, sir, the "Idiot-No-More Click and Ignore" ...That's "Idiont-No-More Click and Ignore." .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
I have to wonder why it is that you, and your Old Guard, go to such lengths to make sure that Donovan and I see your criticisms yet expound on how little you care to see our posts. What, for the life of me I do not know, are you afraid of? Why is it that you choose to torture young umpires who are trying their best but pass on debate with your age equals?

Is it so important to you to control, as if you could, this forum that you would go to such ridiculous measures as this post above? Is honest discussion fallen down your list of forum priorities that it resides below bullying antics and informative debate?
Wow, these guys are still intimidated?? I haven't been here in weeks, or months. LOL

Back to umping.

Canadaump, what level of ball do you get to call (the upper end I mean?)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Alas, the Voice Of Reason, Mr. Jenkins is absolutely correct. Officiating is about the money and it is about pleasing the moneygivers. Only wish those Old Dawgs were right more often.
To be clear, my comment is equally applicable to those who work as a volunteer, those who get paid, and those who work for the money. The last two are different categories.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wow, these guys are still intimidated?? I haven't been here in weeks, or months. LOL

Back to umping.

Canadaump, what level of ball do you get to call (the upper end I mean?)
Around here we have what is called house league (games played within the city) and All Star (representative teams from each city play other cities). Age groups range from 7 to adult for these ages. The top level I did last year was the 16-19 year old All Star range (basically the equivilent of high school ball in the US). I've done a few men's house league games (they are certainly not beer league as I haven't seen a can of beer in my two years playing/umpiring this level). I will likely be doing some PBLO (Premier baseball league of Ontario) games, a few 19-22 year old All Star games and hell maybe even university ball. Just so long as I don't have to do another 15 U girl's softball tournament again.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

ump video

Good job. Timing was very good. I just go 2-2 1-1 3-0. I do not like "twenty-two, or "thirty". The only thing about balls and strikes is that you dont want anyone to question if you said ball or strike. I call a ball quick and silent, and a resounding strike.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Canada, you wouldn't have had any problems with the girls softball if you could have just kept your pants on!! (WINK)

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Around here we have what is called house league (games played within the city) and All Star (representative teams from each city play other cities). Age groups range from 7 to adult for these ages. The top level I did last year was the 16-19 year old All Star range (basically the equivilent of high school ball in the US). I've done a few men's house league games (they are certainly not beer league as I haven't seen a can of beer in my two years playing/umpiring this level). I will likely be doing some PBLO (Premier baseball league of Ontario) games, a few 19-22 year old All Star games and hell maybe even university ball. Just so long as I don't have to do another 15 U girl's softball tournament again.
Good ball for your age, enjoy it and absorb all that you can.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Hey, kiddo, as always I see you're pushinmg the education curve, good for you. Remember when you get advice, especially from the fatsos who are limited by their bellies position-wise. They tend to be the ones that "let their gear do the job it's supposed to"; translation - can't get low enough to get protect from F2.

All this "how they teach at school" is a laff. I've seen 50 schools and about as many "mandatory" things that differ. Just don't poke anyone in the eye.

I hear the "MLB umpires leave their hands exposed, on th eknee, etc etc" all the time. You're prolly umping ball where the catchers are as about as good as the one in your film.

Tuck that sucker away anywhere it won't take a shot and that does not include on top of the knee b/c it looks "good."
Get low enough? That's all I need to read to determine that nobody should take advice from you. As if "getting low" is good advice for calling balls and strikes.